PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals confused Tom Brady in Week 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
people keep dredging up this crap......

chalk it up as a hairball and move on.....if it keeps happening, then get worried........they almost won a game they had no business being in

I made the observation on gameday that they were essentially in 24 nickel all day long, and that since they could contain the line with only 2 linemen (albeit very athletic and strong linemen), they could deploy the rest of their personnel as they pleased.

As far as Brady being confused, I agree that he did appear to be befuddled for the most part, especially with the corners jumping the routes which you don't normally do in a cover 2 zone, IIRC.

I did read that the Arizona DC mentioned that he was already working on the gameplan for this game, as soon as the schedule came out, sometimes near the end of last season.

He also said that he keyed in on what we were doing based on us running when Brady is under center and throwing when Brady is in the shotgun. The numbers have been presented to make that BS. It seems that the Cards' DC is looking to get more credit than he is due for the game.

I hate to be a homer but that was week 2 for god's sake.

If that was week 10-14 I would be concerned.

They lost some plays with 81 being out.

Chill Jaws, who i do respect, but it is a season of games.

I give the Cards their props, absolutely, they played fast all game and were very sharp. We get the best game from teams, which I believe is great cause the intensity prepares us for the postseason.

Let's just see how we come out against a much improved Ravens team.

IMHO, there is no trend whatsoever...

Brady was confused at times. This happens when the DC does a good job utilizing good defensive talent and the offensive 11 plus coordinator brings its C+ game.

I'll take a sub-par "confused" performance where Brady last series drives the team to the game winning score layup opportunity anytime. Pats had 2 scoring opportunities on that drive and blew them both, neither one from Brady's "confusion".

If in fact this is true, that the Cardinals defense confused the Pats, wouldn't it be the responsibility of the offensive coaching staff, and the head coach, to see what was happening and, at half time in the locker room, come up with a way of offsetting it with changes to the offensive scheme?

In this day and age, the coaches have available to them instant photos taken from above showing the defensive formations and changes.

It is illogical to believe that they could not have countered those defensive formations with changes in what they were doing offensively in the first half.

Just because receivers were dropping balls doesn't mean that Brady wasn't confused by the coverage at times. There were times out there where you could tell that he went through his progression and was confused about what the defense was giving him (IIRC, one of them resulted in a coverage sack).

That happens every game.

The point is, drops killed drives. If Brady and the offense score 34 and Brady throws 2 TDs, Jaworski doesn't write the article no matter that Brady was tentative a few times.

It is ridiculous when I hear the fanboys repeating the mantra of "WE only lost by 2 in a game WE had no business winning"...first off, YOU are not on the Patriots, so WE did nothing other than sit on our azzes and watch the game. Do these people overlook the fact that the Patriots lost AT HOME to the Arizona Freaking Cardinals who were 3-13 ON THE ROAD the last two season? And the Patriots LOST despite nullifying Larry Fitzgerald! The team should be freaking embarrassed to lose to that Arizona team - a team that didn't even put up 250 yards of offense, yet the Patriots STILL managed to blow the game.
Let's be honest, if Arizona takes a knee instead of handing it off in the waning seconds, there's no talk of "almost" beating this schitt team...at freaking home...
Sunday night's going to be ugly unless Brady gets his head out of his arse...

Every time I see someone write "Jaws" I think it's directed at me.

Every time I see someone write "Jaws" I think it's directed at me.

The Jews thought that Brady was confused as well.

He also said that he keyed in on what we were doing based on us running when Brady is under center and throwing when Brady is in the shotgun. The numbers have been presented to make that BS. It seems that the Cards' DC is looking to get more credit than he is due for the game.

His theory about shotgun is correct, and it isn't just the Patriots but about shotgun in general. If a team lines up in shotgun, you should play against the pass, and the stats showed that over 80% of the time it will be a pass in shotgun.
Now, if you're a Patriots coach and you know that the opposing coach thinks this, wouldn't you try to disguise your passes a bit more by keeping Brady under center? What is the benefit of shotgun (against a DC who definitely plays against pass when in shotgun), versus keeping Brady under center and then still calling a passing play, especially in a down/distance neutral situation?

By the way, the Cardinals did not confuse Brady. There were at least 5 drives on Sunday where the Pats were marching, and then a befuddling Woodhead run on 3rd down or some other odd play call killed the drive. You can blame this on Brady or other players for not executing, but then it's really unfair. Basically, the supreme talent of Brady and others can get even bad play calls to succeed (in which nobody is blamed), but anytime a bad play call is made the players are always automatically blamed for not executing if it fails.

Last edited:
blueprint.jpg

:rolleyes:

You mean besides the fact that they did pass 80% of the time out of the shotgun and they did run on about 2/3rds of the time Brady was under center?

I agree with you that the DC may be trying to get more credit than he deserves, but those are some pretty telling tendencies.

If Brady is under center, the chances of a run are about 2/3rds in that game, if he is not under center and in the SG, then the chances are 80% that he doesn't run.

80% and 63% are some pretty good 'tells' despite the recent articles that have claimed otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes