PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Javon Walker; Overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keegs

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Is it just me or is this guy not even close to being worth a #1 pick. He had one good year and one great year. Then he rips his knee to shreds. Now he is worth a number one?? not a damn chance. I don't even know if i want the pats giving them a number 2 for him. I don't understand why this guy is built up so big.

we've said it a 100x times. its not that hes overrated..its that the Packers think his value is that high even after a big injury. Walker was a Pro Bowler 2 years ago before the injury. No one will offer a 1st really.

Remix 6 said:
we've said it a 100x times. its not that hes overrated..its that the Packers think his value is that high even after a big injury. Walker was a Pro Bowler 2 years ago before the injury. No one will offer a 1st really.

oh so he is overrated, ok thanks.

no because if you watched him play 2 years ago you would have given away a late first. but because they knee and packers being stupid cheeseheads..they still believe hes that good and they say "no questions"

As Ray Clay pointed out he only has one year with #1 WR numbers

Between that and the injury there's no guarantee he'll be his old self

Of course Deion Branch only has one year with #1 numbers too, but we hardly ever consider the fact that he could revert to the 40-50 passes range

If the GMs were smart they'd all offer no more than a 4th rounder plus a 2007 conditional pick. If Walker is healthy and hits 90 passes, returning to 2004 form, the Packers get a #1 2007.

But of course, logic doesn't really work in the NFL - one or more teams will get overzealous and outbid the other teams - that's what the Packers are counting on

i dont think stats tell enough. first year rookie..he did alright 319 yards..100 less than what Mark Clayton got this year and WAlker was a #2.

Javon improves..716 yards followed by a breakout 1382 yards then the unfortunate injuries.

and that 716 season..Green had 1800 + yards rushing while Driver was a very reliable #2 and at one point was a #1 WR till he gave up the spot to Walker because Walker is faster than him and younger.

BTW Donald Driver is upset too..i would much rather get him because he got the leadership and hes a class guy aswell as a good player. he'll ask for less and isnt coming off a serious injury

Walker: somewhat higher risk, higher upside. Selling pressure (days to the draft) is too much. A car salesman does that and you walk off the lot. But it doesn't mean you don't say "yeah oh I am very interested, I'm taking your card..."

Driver, less risk, less upside. He's on the wrong side of 30 and they competed directly for the Packers' number 1 spot.

The Pats need a guy who can get open and catch the ball, that's all - a working class guy, a "co #1" with Deion, which is to say, another very solid #2. They get that with Driver.... But the fact they are showing interest in Walker at all says something - which of course might be just to throw in the monkey wrench for Denver, Miami, Philly, et al.

As for the "fluke" Pats' picks who only got on the field "because of injury," I like that their guys are ready to do so. And having done so, a lot turn into starters.

Raise your hands if you think the Pats go injury-free this year.

Right.

PFnV

JoeSixPat said:
As Ray Clay pointed out he only has one year with #1 WR numbers

Between that and the injury there's no guarantee he'll be his old self

Of course Deion Branch only has one year with #1 numbers too, but we hardly ever consider the fact that he could revert to the 40-50 passes range

If the GMs were smart they'd all offer no more than a 4th rounder plus a 2007 conditional pick. If Walker is healthy and hits 90 passes, returning to 2004 form, the Packers get a #1 2007.

But of course, logic doesn't really work in the NFL - one or more teams will get overzealous and outbid the other teams - that's what the Packers are counting on

And props to you Joe for realizing I'm not just trying to be argumentative. Walker hasn't been around that long to judge purely on stats.

If somebody's watched him game after game that's different. I have no opinion of the guy because I haven't watched him.

I'm sure the Patriots have a book on this guy too. Plus there's the knee injury and this coast to coast auction atmosphere.

It's just a feeling, but I feel the Pats will pick up some role players to go with Branch. They've courted big name receivers before but never pulled the trigger.

Could be a value thing.

One of the signs of a bad organization is overvaluing your own mediocre talent. I believe the Packers actually think Walker is worth a #1, which is comical. One good year, quit on his team, wants a big contract, coming off an ACL tear. That's 3rd rd material. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a smokescreen by BB to screw Denver by stringing out negotiations into the draft and forcing Denver to either cough up more than they want or to pick a WR in round #1. just a guess...

Keegs said:
oh so he is overrated, ok thanks.
walker might be "overrated" in your eyes. but he is not gonna come hear and be a #1 wide reciever. hes gonna be a #2 wr if he comes here. he is not overrated in that regard. and walker is better than any wr that will be taken in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc rounds. so yes, i do believe he is worth a 2nd round pick IF he passes the physical with flying colors.

The Patriots have an obvious need for a #2 wide receiver. I

hope they don't press the panic button and give up two or three

first day draft choices to obtain Javon Walker. He may start the

season keeping Rodney Harrison company on the exercise bike.

JoeSixPat said:

I think Deion could revert if we got a better WR. Not revert,really. He'll be the same player. He'd just get more balls thrown to him.

Number of catches is a bit misleading, in a way. If a team is always behind and throws a whole lot, catches will be up, both becuase the team will throw more and becuase hte defense will allow catches up the middle then tackle to let the clock run out.

Sadly, you are spot on about the lack of logic of some teams. The cold, businesslike approach of BB that infuriates the media is our best defense against getting caught up in an emotional bidding war. We applaud this sometimes,other times (AV-WMG-DG) we go nuts because BB does NOT get emtionallly involved in a bidding war

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes