PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Javon Walker didn't want to play for Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
SeanBruschi54 said:
Did you not see the money he just got?:confused:

Ssshhh....we're into revisionist thinking here because he didn't want us.

He was not going to get that contract here without first proving he was worth it. And with Branch ahead of him in the contract pipeline he might never have gotten it. And I'm sure both his agent and Shannahan covered that reality during his hostage period. Not to mention if things don't work out for you here as a WR it's kind of tough to blame it on the QB. By next March if we were unwilling to extend him at #1 money or pick up an option to it would likely send up several more red flags and he might not have gotten his money even on the open market.

I think we were definitely interested in him anyway because he has the talent and we had a continuing need to fill, and his situation in GB dictated he was going somewhere. We likely figured to either land him with an incentive laden deal or just the promise of a deal based on his performance, or cause Denver - who was one of the teams most likely to trigger a run on WR in the draft - to pre-emptively pull the trigger on a deal with him instead.

In the end Plan B carried the day. We may not get as polished a WR in Jackson out of the gate, but he has similar upside, hasn't blown an ACL or held out yet and he will cost a lot less over the next 2-3 years if he doesn't work out, allowing us the flexibility to re-address that need incrementally if we must as we go. ;)

Franchise12 said:
It's not because he didnt want to play for the patriots because of who they are. He has a better oppurtunity to be a starter with rod smith being 36 and ashley lelie wanting out.its pretty simple. if he came here he would have been a #2. why not go to the team that will make you a virtual lock to be a starter in a year or so.

Huh? A number 2 receiver is a starter, he would have a chance to be the #1 on any of the teams interested in him and he will definitly start on any of those teams.

when I said starter I meant a true #1. given our philosiphy and the fact that we already have a #1 reciever I can see why denver would be an ideal situation for him. rod smith is on his way out, lelie never materialized into the heir to rod's position why not go to denver. My guess is denver was more desperate to get him to begin with. people just need to realize that just because we have the best QB in the game doesnt mean every available reciever will flock to new england and take a hometown discount. In todays NFL money (GUARENTEED MONEY) and the greatest chance to be a #1 at their position will be the determing factor in where a free agent (or disgruntled player) goes.and im sure we offered much of neither. I for one am glad we didnt tie up our cap space into him I just want branch extended.

oldrover said:
From Dan Pompei's column:

"WR Javon Walker wasn't a free agent, but he had a lot of influence in dictating what team he would play for in 2006. He told the Packers he wanted to be traded, and the team initially was hesitant to set an example by giving in to his demands. Green Bay finally agreed to explore the possibility when it found out it could get decent compensation for Walker. The Broncos, Eagles and Patriots were interested, and Walker was scheduled to visit all three teams. But he didn't want to play for the Patriots, so he "missed" four flights to New England, including two he had checked in for. Broncos coach Mike Shanahan got an assist for one of the missed flights. During Walker's visit to Denver, Shanahan took Walker to his home. Not coincidentally, Walker ended up being traded to the Broncos for a second-round pick. . . ."

Why would you NOT want to play for the Pats? :confused:

My guess is he's a little undisciplined and he knew that would not fly here...

I was never thrilled about the idea of him coming here. This guy has Terry Glenn written all over him.

ADPF

oldrover said:
From Dan Pompei's column:

"WR Javon Walker wasn't a free agent, but he had a lot of influence in dictating what team he would play for in 2006. He told the Packers he wanted to be traded, and the team initially was hesitant to set an example by giving in to his demands. Green Bay finally agreed to explore the possibility when it found out it could get decent compensation for Walker. The Broncos, Eagles and Patriots were interested, and Walker was scheduled to visit all three teams. But he didn't want to play for the Patriots, so he "missed" four flights to New England, including two he had checked in for. Broncos coach Mike Shanahan got an assist for one of the missed flights. During Walker's visit to Denver, Shanahan took Walker to his home. Not coincidentally, Walker ended up being traded to the Broncos for a second-round pick. . . ."

Why would you NOT want to play for the Pats? :confused:

What I don't get is why he didn't just say "I DON'T WANT TO PLAY FOR YOU" from the beginning instead of jerking everyone around by missing flights, or finding ways to avoid meeting with the team. Was he obligated to meet with the Pats because GB was making him? It seems to me like he should have been straight forwarded so he didn't waste anybody's time. GB could have ruled the Patriots out as an option, and the Pats could have ruled Walker out as an option.

zippo59 said:
What I don't get is why he didn't just say "I DON'T WANT TO PLAY FOR YOU" from the beginning instead of jerking everyone around by missing flights, or finding ways to avoid meeting with the team. Was he obligated to meet with the Pats because GB was making him? It seems to me like he should have been straight forwarded so he didn't waste anybody's time. GB could have ruled the Patriots out as an option, and the Pats could have ruled Walker out as an option.

Your point is excellent!

That's why I feel like this guy is just immature and was trouble waiting to happen.

Definitely NOT a Patrios kind of player...

ADPF

PatsFanInEaglesLand said:
He did go to FSU so his remedial education is showing, again.

FSU Athletes Entrance Exam

Multiple Choice Section

1. If an FSU alumus is at Footlocker giving out free sneakers and it is illegal for you to accept anything free without violating your NCAA eligibility, you should:

a) Accept the shoes and make up some ignorance excuse
b) Wear the shoes for ahwile and return them
c) Go to Peter Warwick's and compare your shoes to the stuff he and Laverneus Coles stole from Dillard's with an identity theft credit card
d) Go back home to your crack-infested, hooker-ridden neighborhood in Jacksonville and sell the shoes and pocket the money

Essay Section

1. In the space provided below, spell "FSU":

walkers deal was like 5 years 42 million..average of more than 8 million a year..hes no TO, R. Moss, Holt, S. Moss, Smith, Harrison or anything..you guys should know by know we wouldnt pay him that much because if we gave him that...Branch would want similar amount and there goes our cap

Remix 6 said:
walkers deal was like 5 years 42 million..average of more than 8 million a year..hes no TO, R. Moss, Holt, S. Moss, Smith, Harrison or anything..you guys should know by know we wouldnt pay him that much because if we gave him that...Branch would want similar amount and there goes our cap

Just a quick point, Walker hasn't signed the deal yet. Though its supposed to get finalized either today or tomorrow.

That being said, its unlikely the Pats would have paid him that. Especially since Walker isn't nearly the player that Derrick Mason is and the Pats offered Mason over 5 mil last year.

IMHO, Walker = Poor Man's T.O. without the production.

dryheat44 said:
Because you're not going to put up monster numbers that will give you an enormous contract. If this story is true, then Walker has outed himself as a man who cares first and last about his bank account.

I assume you work for free, lol.

In a profession that lasts on average well less than 10 years and where they put their lives and health on the line, I really don't see how anyone can give anyone grief for getting everything they can.

texpat said:
In a profession that lasts on average well less than 10 years and where they put their lives and health on the line, I really don't see how anyone can give anyone grief for getting everything they can.
Well he would be set for life at about 10% of what he's getting. And there's no law that says ex NFL players can't get a normal job at 35.

Keegs said:
who cares? the guy is a jerk, screw him.

Let him ruin the Broncos.

He's getting paid too much and unless i'm missing something he had one good year and one great year, then he tore his leg to shreds. Big deal.

Something tells me that if he were a Patriot today you'd be saying he's the greatest FA ever signed by them.

For one the guy had FOUR flights booked so if there was no interest why bother? Secondly it's obvious that he is interested in being a true #1 WR which he wouldn't be in N.E. The offense is too diverse and doesn't focus on one player. He's not going to put up huge numbers with the Patriots.

MrTibbs said:
Something tells me that if he were a Patriot today you'd be saying he's the greatest FA ever signed by them.
I would have liked to get him - but not at that price. I'm guessing the Patriots are happier spending a #2 and much less money on Jackson but at the time he was making visits they didn't know how the draft would go.

to me it shows how much junk news was being spread around those days of the draft Adam schefter said , walker was in boston getting medical checkups from pats and eagles, whereas he never came here. he went to philly first as per michael smith's article in espn and was supposed to fly to boston when he was dealt
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2437292

"If not for Shanahan's, ahem, delaying him, Walker would have continued to New England that afternoon. He instead traveled to Philadelphia and watched the early part of the draft at the Eagles' facility. This thing went down to the wire. Walker was in the Philadelphia airport about to fly to Boston, still set to visit the Patriots, when he got a call from a couple of buddies informing him that he'd been dealt to Denver."

Coaches in common...

huskeralk said:
I seriously doubt the money would have been the problem. We don't have a problem paying player's money if they deserve it. I think the bigger problem was he could see that there was no way he was going to get his 100 balls and 1000+ yds.

Javon is about Javon. Period.

One of the observations that I make about Belichick is that he has a lot in common with another great Coach, Red Auerbach.

Neither coach wanted to have superstars with their superstar stats. Its an a little known or unknown fact that while Red was Coach, the Celts never had a single guy end up in the top ten in scoring in the NBA, including the gunslinger Sam Jones. And thats while winning 13 out of 14 championships!

But they frequently had six or seven scorers in the top twenty-five.

Belichick does not have any of his receivers end up in the top ten in receiving but he'd like 4-6 end up in the top twenty-five.

That way you don't have to worry about the big guy getting hurt or having an "Off Day". It also makes it a much tougher proposition to cover 6 guys than creating a special defense to shut down one guy. It doesn't do a whole lot of good to shut down three and yet three others go wild against you.

Now Belichick has not been that way with his RBs; but he has not heretofore had more than one or two obvious starters, and even then they might not be categorized as "franchise " backs; the exception being Cory Dillon.

I suspect he would like to rotate his backs, and would be much happier with three guys getting 700 yards than one guy getting 1400-1500 and another getting 4-500.

It's pretty clear from the original post that he is not interested in winning; he's interested in money. So, it's just as well he didn't come here, because there is no way the Pats would have given him what the Broncos did for a contract.

I disagree AZ. I don't think it is BB's preference that his players not be in the top 5 or 10 in offense. That's just the way the system is. I also don't believe BB does not want a superstar on offense. BB DOES want talented players. You would be stupid not to, and BB is not an idiot. Rather the offensive system tends to not produce especially impressive numbers for any individual player.

And this especially seems to be the case for receivers in the Pats offense because the offense likes to attack all portions of the field. With Brady throwing to the open man each time rather than force things in and risk an interception, the receptions and yards will also be spread out amongst a large number of people.

And as you correctly mentioned it's a whole lot harder to stop multiple threats then to just focus on stopping one main threat from scoring.

However even with that being said there are notable exceptions that tend to disprove the idea that the Patriots don't have stars on offense.

This past year in 2005 Tom Brady led the ENTIRE league in passing yardage with 4,110 passing yards. He was the #1 passer in the entire NFL, yes even beating out Peyton Manning. The Pats passing offense meanwhile was rated #2 overall in passing yards per game trailing only Arizona. Those that still question Brady as one of the top 3 ELITE QB's in the league now have no leg to stand on from a statistical standpoint.

Then the year before in 2004 Corey Dillon was the #3 overall Rusher in the entire NFL with 1,635 rushing yards beating out such notable names as Edgerrin James and Tiki Barber in the ground game. The Pats rushing offense was ranked #7 overall in the league that year.

On top of that prior success this season the Pats injected new talent into their offensive system with the additions of Maroney, Jackson, Thomas, and Mills.

The idea that the Pats don't have any star offensive players is just a MYTH. The idea that BB doesn't want great offensive players, I would also categorize as a MYTH. It's just that the system is such that it is rare that a Patriot produces eyepopping numbers, and it is not focused on glorifying any particular player, but offensive success DOES happen. See exhibits A and B above.

As for Javon Walker. I think he could have stepped in and enjoyed considerable success in the Pats offense. You CAN BE a top 5 offensive leader in the league in this offense if you have the talent and you can work within the system. So if he didn't want to come here it is his own loss. And quite frankly I don't think he's worth 5/42 on the cap anyways.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to imply that BB di dnot want Star players. I meant he did not want superstar stats rolled up by his stars. He would prefer to spread the weath as a way to insure continuity and to make it more difficult fro opponents.

mgcolby said:
Does this in some way redeem Farve?

I think it does a.....little.

Favre did like to spread the ball around, especially to the players not wearing the yellow and green......29 times to be exact last year......

I too wanted Javon but at an affordable price. Clearly that was not to be, but.?

I'm wondering if there wasn't some behind the scenes talks going on as it was GB, I think, that we traded with to jump ahead of Denver and pick Jackson.?

Just wondering if there was some befind the scene good will involved as Javon was in Philly when he got the call, I don't think GB wanted Javon to play there.?

Wish I could type my thoughts better but you guys get my drift. Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes