PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Whitlock starts the Super Bowl excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-ShirtDynasty

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/051229

OK, while I'm on the subject, let me rank the AFC Super Bowl hopefuls.

1. Colts: The only thing that can stop Indy is the tragedy that struck the Dungy family.

2. Steelers: Crazy, isn't it? A couple of weeks ago, I was predicting a loss to the Bears and a playoff miss. Now the Steelers are the second-best team in the AFC.

3. Patriots: Hey, Tom Brady still takes the snaps. It could happen.

4. Jaguars: Jack Del Rio should bring Byron Leftwich in off the bench throughout the playoffs. He could be the spark that opponents can't prepare for.

5. Bengals: I actually like the Bengals, but the 37 points they surrendered at home to the Bills says a lot about what Marvin Lewis needs to do this offseason.

6. Broncos: Ranked this low solely because I think they match up the worst against the Colts. The Donkies can beat everybody else, but would lose by more than two TDs to Peyton.
I'm NOT trying to be insensitive here. I've already stated my feelings on the Dungy tragedy, it is horrible, and sure, it could have an affect on how they perform (could go either way, negative or positive). But to say that's the ONLY thing that could stop Indy is ridiculous.

What (cough) stopped them last year (gasp) or the year (wheeeeeze) before that? There are a few things that could stop the Dolts this year, not just the Dungy tragedy. The first two that come to mind both start with a "P". Peyton (cough-sputter-hack) and the Patriots. (Or even Pittsburgh)

The Colts are a great team this year, there's no doubt about it. But I think it disrespects their team, their effort this year, and their coach, and whatever team knocks them out of the playoffs, if the media picks up this excuse mantle and starts waiving it, especially before they've even lost (choke) in the playoffs.

Well, some Indy fans are of the opposite opinion. The day that Coach Dungy's son was found dead, one of the posts at Indystar said something like, "The Colts just became a very dangerous team." Meaning, I guess, that sheer emotion and "playing for their coach" would carry them through the end victorious.

I was personally surprised by that because it seems sort of backhanded to me. Like the Colts need a horrific tragedy to get them over the playoff hump. Like they couldn't muster the energy on their own. It seemed like a very strange thing to say. I thought more people would be taking the stance Whitlock is taking (although as you point out, it's not the ONLY thing, give me a break....they were beaten before it even happened). Either way, using the Dungy tragedy as an excuse OR a motivational tool just seems not right to me.

The Broncos also probably match up the best of any team against the Colts, because they have the secondary to cover them and the front seven to get in Peyton's face, plus an offense capable of running it right down Indy's throats.

The only thing this proves is Jason Whitlock is a moron.

Stillers at number 2 ?????

primetime said:
The Broncos also probably match up the best of any team against the Colts, because they have the secondary to cover them and the front seven to get in Peyton's face, plus an offense capable of running it right down Indy's throats.

The only thing this proves is Jason Whitlock is a moron.

Yeah, I get the feeling Whitlock's comment was influenced less by what he sees this year and more by what happened when the Colts and Broncos played in playoffs past.

What a tool. Not only is he using that as an excuse if they're not out, am I the only one who thinks this guys insight on sports absolutely sucks?

Patriots: Tom Brady still takes snaps, it could happen.

Thats all? Thats all?! What about how the team is finally healthy, or how the defense has improved?

And the Steelers at #2? The same Steelers the Pats beat in the same game Light and Harrison went down? Psh..Whatever.

Jason Whitlock is an idiot. He writes like some 12 year old kid who does not know a damn thing about the league.

Of all the excuses they have used over the years, if they use this one,they should hang their heads in shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes