PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Whitlock: Patriots "smell of desperation and arrogance".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Whitlock: Patriots "smell of desparation and arrogance"

So let's review what we have been taught about Patriots football and roster assembly in the BB era....and see how Fat Albert fits in

Passion for Football... not even close

Team player..............haven't stopped laughing yet

Off field preparation.....if talking on the phone during meetings and late arrivals can be ignored, as well as fitness

Performance......must ignore last 2 years of career of bench play and suspensions, lack of sacks, lack of hustle, unwillingness to adapt to game plan

Citizenship (the Myra Kraft clause).....completely tossed out the window

Jeez....I wonder how this "opinion piece" some how got the facts so wrong. Imagine the reaction if the Jets had secured Fat Albert's lazy, unmotivated, team quitting ass. Ah, but we live in the world of "Pats good, world bad".
I'l be rooting for the guy because of the jersey, and I hope there is a magic switch that resurrects Good Albert, if there ever was one. But attacking Whitlock because he he got the facts right is ignorant.

How you gonna be desperate and arrogant at the same time?

Just sayin.

The media has been very predictable with this. Pats don't sign certain guys? They're arrogant. Pats do sign certain guys? They're arrogant. The other big thing (already about 5 columns in the Globe like this) is that there is no "Patriot way," that the Pats will sign anybody. Which misses the point that guys are expected to behave a certain way ONCE THEY GET HERE.

That was Mazz's thing yesterday on his show, he says there's no Patriot Way, there was at one time but not any more. Hearing his squeaky voice reminded me why I dont click on that botton on my radio anymore.

BTW, you want to see desperation and arrogance, look at the Jets. The Jets were arrogant enough to think that them getting Asomugha was a lock eventhough it appears he always prefered Philly over them. Now the Jets are going to desperately try to out bid the 49ers and Raiders to overpay for the overrated Cromartie who will get a huge contract and have no motivation to try hard.

The Patriot Way has always been pretty simple: "Do your job on the field and act right off of it." Pre-Pats history or post-Pats future means nothing; players are held to a high standard while they represent the Pats.

I don't know where anyone got this impression that the Pats wouldn't sign troubled players even if they'd fill a hole. If that were the case, we'd still be 0-for-the-Superbowl.

I forgot to address Whitlock. All you need to know about him and how highly he thinks of himself is contained in his bio.

Last edited:

So let's review what we have been taught about Patriots football and roster assembly in the BB era....and see how Fat Albert fits in

Passion for Football... not even close

Team player..............haven't stopped laughing yet

Off field preparation.....if talking on the phone during meetings and late arrivals can be ignored, as well as fitness

Performance......must ignore last 2 years of career of bench play and suspensions, lack of sacks, lack of hustle, unwillingness to adapt to game plan

Citizenship (the Myra Kraft clause).....completely tossed out the window

Jeez....I wonder how this "opinion piece" some how got the facts so wrong. Imagine the reaction if the Jets had secured Fat Albert's lazy, unmotivated, team quitting ass. Ah, but we live in the world of "Pats good, world bad".
I'l be rooting for the guy because of the jersey, and I hope there is a magic switch that resurrects Good Albert, if there ever was one. But attacking Whitlock because he he got the facts right is ignorant.

How does giving away a future late pick to take a flyer on a guy who was a monster with his original team and had lots of self inflicted issues with his next employer smack of desperation? Words have meaning, Witlesslock. That's a fine use of a late round pick where the odds are way against the pick drafted even making the 53 never mind potentially being a serious force. It's not desperation it's taking a small risk for a reasonable maybe 33% chance of a huge payoff. Guy pulls a Moss prima act, he's gone. No big loss.

Last edited:

it took me a couple of articles, but i figured jason whitlock out and stopped reading his trash a long time ago. when i read his stuff all i could hear is the teacher from charlie brown.

How does giving away a future late pick to take a flyer on a guy who was a monster with his original team and had lots of self inflicted issues with his next employer smack of desperation? Words have meaning, Witlesslock. That's a fine use of a late round pick where the odds are way against the pick drafted even making the 53 never mind potentially being a serious force. It's not desperation it's taking a small risk for a reasonable maybe 33% chance of a huge payoff. Guy pulls a Moss prima act, he's gone. No big loss.

Revamping a defense and depending on Haynesworth as a foundation piece is a risk IMO. Warren, TBC, and Stroud are gone...partially based on the "new direction" that Warren referred to on his way out the door.....this new defense that will depend on Haynesworth as a foundation piece. You see the cost as a late rounder down the road, but after week 1, his 2011 contract is guaranteed...$5+ million....and they will be officially in bed with Albert and this new D. With a smaller cap, big ticket roster misses will be more painful. As far as performance goes, no need to go into his miserable performances the past two years. Players get jettisoned from teams after 1 subpar year. The Patriots revamp their D around a guy who tanked it on and off the field for the past two years. "Desperate" was a poor choice of words by Whitlock, I would have chosen "insane"......actually I would call it extremely "risky". If AH gets cut in training camp, the only negative will be the missing piece and the inability to replace that piece as 31 other teams have stabilized their rosters.

The "Patriot Way" is nothing more that a mediot creation to begin with. I think its hilarious that, with a straight face, these idiots try to hold the Pats organization to a standard that the MEDIA created in the first place.

Whitlock was fair in pointing out all of Hayneswoth's vast array of baggage. But its nothing more than we will get EVERY DAY for the next 5 months (we hope).from the likes of Felger and Borges What isn't fair is that he characterized the Pats organization as arrogant and desperate. Are the Eagles "arrogant and desperate because they are spending so heavily this FA period. Are the Jets "desperate" trying to sign Aso despite it being a huge mistake to even try?

Whitlock has had a history of being a hater. Why would we even care or note what he says. He was a long term KC beat writer who moved to LA with the hopes of becoming the next Mike Wilbon. Well that's not happening, so I guess the next step was to try and create some waves with his column. Frankly it smacks of "desperation and arrogance" ;)

The "Patriot Way" is nothing more that a mediot creation to begin with. I think its hilarious that, with a straight face, these idiots try to hold the Pats organization to a standard that the MEDIA created in the first place.

Whitlock was fair in pointing out all of Hayneswoth's vast array of baggage. But its nothing more than we will get EVERY DAY for the next 5 months (we hope).from the likes of Felger and Borges What isn't fair is that he characterized the Pats organization as arrogant and desperate. Are the Eagles "arrogant and desperate because they are spending so heavily this FA period. Are the Jets "desperate" trying to sign Aso despite it being a huge mistake to even try?

Whitlock has had a history of being a hater. Why would we even care or note what he says. He was a long term KC beat writer who moved to LA with the hopes of becoming the next Mike Wilbon. Well that's not happening, so I guess the next step was to try and create some waves with his column. Frankly it smacks of "desperation and arrogance" ;)

I disagree with this "new" concept that the Patriots Way is a myth. The Pats target team guys, college captains. They keep problems inhouse and players self govern the unwritten rules of the organization. They eliminate distractions and jettison law breakers. They praise their opponent and deflect praise toward their teammates. etc. etc..etc....
Maybe success has blinded me from the true reality, but IMO, BB has always built a roster full of koolade drinkers that have embraced what I see as the "right way" to run a NFL team. Those players not on board don't last.

Re: Patriots "smell of desperation and arrogance".

Whitlock is a smart guy and I think a huge Redskins fan.

But what he calls arrogant is what he wished he had thought of first: Notorious Big Al and Chad, both perfect Patriots fits if their heads are on straight, coming here.

Since BB is light years ahead of him he acts prissy.

Whitlock is a smart guy and I think a huge Redskins fan.

But what he calls arrogant is what he wished he had thought of first: Notorious Big Al and Chad, both perfect Patriots fits if their heads are on straight, coming here.

Since BB is light years ahead of him he acts prissy.

BILL is the Mr. Miyagi of sports: He sees potential in knuckleheads and turns them into great players.

Whitlock is a smart guy...

Over the years I've heard and read a fair amount of Whitlock. There isn't one thing I can point to that backs up your evaluation of him being a smart guy. He seems to invariably get it wrong. That either makes him biased or dumb. I admit that I see it as bias but I could be wrong...

Last edited:

Over the years I've heard and read a fair amount of Whitlock. There isn't one thing I can point to that backs up your evaluation of him being a smart guy. He seems to invariably get it wrong. That either makes him biased or dumb. I admit that I see it as bias but I could be wrong...

I stole this from Whitlock's desk:

"Notes for next column:
1) Halle Berry, call me.
2) Next "final Jeff George" piece.
3) Black guy doesn't win something = racism.
4) Still smarter than Belichick.
5) Seriously, Halle...call me.
6) Why I'd beat LeBron to 11 playing winners.

Courage, Big Whit."

Ok, now I feel way more confident about the Albert and Chad additions now that Whitlock has given his opinion. I still don't know where the "arrogant" part come it.

NFL News, Videos, Scores, Teams, Standings, Stats - FOX Sports on MSN

BTW, isn't he a big time Redskin fan?

Whitlock is a sore ***ed douche bag....and yes I think he is a grieving, pathetic skins fan which prob fueled this embarrassing, jealous rant. What a jacka$$....every other talking head lives the pats FA moves.....

Yeah, you're right.

I should have said "he thinks of himself as a smart guy."

Dim-Whitlock definitely has an axe to grind with the Patriots... this circa 1998 on a trip out to Foxboro as a member of the press and sterling representative for the KC Star.

Last edited:

I disagree with this "new" concept that the Patriots Way is a myth. The Pats target team guys, college captains. They keep problems inhouse and players self govern the unwritten rules of the organization. They eliminate distractions and jettison law breakers. They praise their opponent and deflect praise toward their teammates. etc. etc..etc....
Maybe success has blinded me from the true reality, but IMO, BB has always built a roster full of koolade drinkers that have embraced what I see as the "right way" to run a NFL team. Those players not on board don't last.

I agree for the most part. But my objection to those throwing the "Patriot Way" back in BB's face with the Haynesworth trade, is hypocrisy of it. "The real Patriot way" is, to quote BB, is "doing what's best for the team". For the most part it IS getting guys just like the ones you described in your post. BUT it doesn't preclude a guy like Haynesworth who MIGHT be what's best for the team right now.

The key is your last sentence. People who like this trade understand that if Haynesworth isn't "on board", then his value to the team will be the object lesson have having his ***** kicked out the door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back