PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Whitlock: Cassel is smoke and mirrors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it BOTH is the system and isnt the system.
I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Cassel's success as well as Brady's has a lot to do with who taught them how to be NFL QBs. 99% of Cassel's mental approach, understanding and decision making has come from what the Patriots taught him. I've said all along Brady is a product of the great coaching he has received as well.
With Brady it is blatantly obvious that his talent is enormous as well, and it is a COMBINATION of his abilities and the QB education he has received here. In other words, no one else would be as good as Brady if they arrived the same day, but Brady would not be as good as he is if he arrived elsewhere in 2000.
The same can be said for Cassel.
I have absolutely no doubt that if he spend his 3 inactive seasons in a different organization, he would not have been anywhere near as prepared to play. I also know that his ability has as much to do with the equation as how that ability was developed, tutored and brought out.
I think that as long as BB is here, we will continue to develop excellent QBs (for us or someone else) because the guy sitting on our bench is being taught how to be a good QB better than the guy sitting on anyone elses bench, and BB has enough of an eye for talent that he wont waste that spot on a guy who is incapable. (At least not for long, ie Rohan Davey)

well, that's problem of the guy whose job hangs in the balance when he considers to sign cassel to be his franchise QB........there are some huge positives about him........but when cassel is off, he looks as bad as anything I've ever seen in the NFL

That's quite a harsh judgement to make on a 1 year starter, imo. We saw him "off" in one game.

Did he look as bad against Pitt as Brady did against Miami in those two 70-odd yard, <50% comp performances a few years back? Did he look as bad as Favre or Romo did on Sunday? As bad as Peyton in some of his earlier games against NE, or his 6 INT game against San Diego? Great QBs have terrible games, and so do 1 year starters; they should not be judged on those, imo.

I didn't say you were a moron. I said IF you are saying that the body of evidence Cassel submitted this season supports Whitlock's conclusion that he is "not very good," then you are either a hater (most likely) or a moron.

Are you honestly saying the evidence supports that conclusion?

I am saying it is inconclusive........I just believe there are too many believing that he is actually 'all that'.....some pretty bad QB's have managed to have some pretty good seasons........not saying he's bad, just not ready to anoint him as anything.......

like I said, if I was a GM of another team, I would be leery of anointing him as my franchise QB........there's just something about his ability to look really bad that would worry the crap out of me

I am saying it is inconclusive........I just believe there are too many believing that he is actually 'all that'.....some pretty bad QB's have managed to have some pretty good seasons........not saying he's bad, just not ready to anoint him as anything.......

like I said, if I was a GM of another team, I would be leery of anointing him as my franchise QB........there's just something about his ability to look really bad that would worry the crap out of me

cassel has most of the intangibles, and the raw talent, and as someone else mentioned, the patriot education

i would not be at all afraid to make cassel my franchise QB... he has the guts to play in the NFL, and the mental toughness to be a QB

Who the hell is this Jason Whitlock? He obviously isn't a scout. I'll take Jaws opinion over his, any day of the week.

Matt Cassel has the ideal triangle numbers, 6-4 230# and 4.7 speed. The running game shows in his 275 yard rushing, too. He was sought after as a high school recruit by all the top college football programs in the country, and signed with the then college national champions. He then pushed Carson Palmer and Matt Lienart, both Heisman Trophy winners for playing time. That alone establishes his athletic qualifications. It helps that he was drafted by the premier National Football League club, renowned for it draft shrewdness.

Now he has played in the NFL as a starter, and has outdone another very good first year player. His 3600 yards and 21TDs vs 11 Ints and 63% completion average compares favorably to a guy who had 2800 yards, a 63% completion average, and 18 TDs versus 12 Ints.

The other guy? Merely NFL MVP Tom Brady.

I repeat who is this Jason idiot?
Ron Borges Heir Apparant.

This is actually a milestone for Whitlock. It's the first time he's ever made a point without injecting race into the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes