PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Taylor or Kevin Faulk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without cutting players with major salaries, we will already need to have a restructure or two in order to sign the rookies and have the cap money to go into the season. That's fine. That's business as usual.

If we want Taylor, either he needs to play for about what Woods plays for or we will need to figure out where to get the cap monies.

One option is to cut Faulk and draft a running back or two to replace Faulk and Green-Ellis. Surely, Taylor AND Morris AND Maroney AND two rookies can handle the load and put us in good shaper for the future. Hopefully one of the rookies will turn out to be a major contributor.
===================

Well, I made the argument as best I can. My choice would be to extend Faulk and not worry about Taylor.

What?

Why would we draft a rookie to get rid of Green-Ellis who is on the cheap anyways??????

And to answer your question, Kevin Faulk. In a heartbeat.

Call me crazy, but if we get rid of a back, I think it should be Sammy Morris.

I think we have a little to spare actually. Miguel is guessing we're around $4.3M under the cap with 50 players signed (if I counted right). The draft picks won't cost much, for an example #2, Wheatley's cap hit was $615K last year. And for the #1, Meriweather was $1.4M as a rookie. As we have 50 players signed, the hit to our cap will be those relatively small amounts minus a minimum salary guy at around $400K or so.

Yea thats about half of our remaining cap wrapped up in two rookies. We have so many picks this year its gonna be a squeeze to get them all signed. I say we don't sign any more FA till after the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea thats about half of our remaining cap wrapped up in two rookies. We have so many picks this year its gonna be a squeeze to get them all signed. I say we don't sign any more FA till after the draft.

Your recommendation makes no sense as has been posted here numerous times, the 2009 Pats rookies regardless of the # drafted will have minimal impact on the cap.

Without cutting players with major salaries, we will already need to have a restructure or two in order to sign the rookies and have the cap money to go into the season. That's fine. That's business as usual.

If we want Taylor, either he needs to play for about what Woods plays for or we will need to figure out where to get the cap monies.

One option is to cut Faulk and draft a running back or two to replace Faulk and Green-Ellis. Surely, Taylor AND Morris AND Maroney AND two rookies can handle the load and put us in good shaper for the future. Hopefully one of the rookies will turn out to be a major contributor.
===================

Well, I made the argument as best I can. My choice would be to extend Faulk and not worry about Taylor.

Even at Taylor's age, asking him to take a salary similar to Woods is insult to Taylor. Woods hasn't done jack s*** in this league and Taylor could end up in the hall of fame. The Pats will find a way to give Taylor the salary he deserves.

Who says we have to cut Faulk? For all the clutch catches Faulk gives the Pats, this shouldn't even be in the conversation. However, if Faulk were losing his ability to play like Vrabel, then this would be a valid argument. But Faulk can still play at a high level. You guys are thinking way too much about how the Pats are going to fit Taylor or Peppers under the salary cap. You guys are letting these "talking heads" get to you. Listen, if the Pats want any player, they can get them. Now if we were talking about the Detroit Lions, then that is a different story.

It's because of that new rule forbidding teams who have players named Faulk on the team from signing a player named Taylor.

No seriously it's a bizarre choice because Kevin Faulk retires a Patriot.
Think back to all the games over the last few years. Now, pick a player excluding Brady, who's clutch play wins the game. Welker wouldn't be a bad choice, but everytime I think of must win games, I see Faulk either reaching back and catching a game saving catch, or making a 3rd and long play which prolongs the drive. This is the guy you want to cut?

How can you even suggest releasing kevin faulk???? The guy is arguably the best third down back in the league and is very versitle. He can run, catch, and return kicks. He has great hands and has a knack for picking up third downs. When I think of Faulk I think of him fighting to convert BIG third downs. He's done it his whole career and in the playoffs. He also had arguably his best year as a patriot last year. He has plenty left as he has never been a full time back. The way they use him is perfect(passing situations, RB draws, change of pace) and he will retire a patriot.

The pats are set at running back... Maroney, taylor, morris, faulk, and benjarvus green are great and offers depth.

Anyways they can probably sign taylor for 3-4 million no problem. Taylor is just waiting to sign because he doesn't want to go through the offseason program and spend time with his family. Taylor will be a patriot.

When I think of Faulk I think of him fighting to convert BIG third downs.
When I think of Faulk I think of him when he ran out of bounds about a half yard short of the first down marker. He is good picking up the blitz, though.

When I think of Faulk I think of him when he ran out of bounds about a half yard short of the first down marker. He is good picking up the blitz, though.

When I think of Kevin Faulk I think of all the times he made a big play on a screen pass with a drive stalling or making a big play to give us momentum, or a big catch to ice a game. The guy is Mr clutch, second only to Brady with making big plays. I wouldnt even entertain the thought of cutting him at this stage of his career, just plain silly.

That was Maroney :D

What?

Why would we draft a rookie to get rid of Green-Ellis who is on the cheap anyways??????

And to answer your question, Kevin Faulk. In a heartbeat.

Call me crazy, but if we get rid of a back, I think it should be Sammy Morris.

Thank you ! I completely agree. Green- Ellis being replaced
by a draft pick? You probably lose financially in that deal. Makes no sense.

Keeping Faulk to maintain spacecrime's stress level at appropriate levels is a must...and he's not too shabby at moving the chains too.

Allow me to re-state my position since I disagree with many of the posts.

1) I do not want to cut Faulk under any circumstances. In fact, I would like to sign him to a 3 year extension before camp. This would save a bit of cap money.

2) I do not think that Jason Taylor will sign for what Fred Taylor signed for: $5M over two years, including a $1.45M bonus and a 2009 cap hit of $2.3M. If we expect to get him for even $7M over two years, the 2009 cap hit will be at least $3M because of the 30% rule.

3) 2009 salaries (e.g. Brady or Light) can NOT be moved into a bonus and thus have a large reduction in 2009 cap cost (some savings is available). Salaries cannot increase by more than 30% from 2009 to 2010.

4) The current $4.2M of cap money was viewed by many as no problem, with room to sign Jason Taylor. There will indeed be a cap hit associated with the draft. There almost always is. The cost is concentrated in the first and second rounds. The 3rd rounders break about even and the later picks save a bit. A cap hit of $2M has been estimated earlier this offseason, but we will not know until next month.

The real additional cost is of not of the 51 top players or of the rookies. Miguel has estimated that the items below will cost about $3.2M. I don't know if this amount includes the injury reserve for the season. The cost below can be offset by cuts of players with significant salaries as has happened in the past, often the month before the season starts. Clay and Milloy come to mind as such cuts.
A) Player 52 and Player 53
B) players on IR at the beginning of the season (also PUP I think)
C) the Practice Squad
D) replacement reserve for players to be acquired during the season

5) BTW, veteran free agents on a one year contract do NOT have a significant effect on the cap. Depending on their number of years, additional free agents might cost $150K or so each.
=================================
MG's BOTTOM LINE
I believe that we will need a restructure/extension or two to sign the rookies and have enough to meet the cap for Game One. Brady, Light, Faulk and Green are potential candidates. I don't expect this to be an issue. However, if we need an additional $3M of cap room for Jason Taylor, then $3M or so of cap money needs to be found. Restructuring Brady AND restructuring Light AND extending Faulk AND extending Green might get us there. Three of these might get us there. The point is that this will not be an insignificant undertaking. I think most of us would rather extend Wilfork if we could find a way to squeeze out the cap monies (rather than signing Taylor).

So, you believe that Green-Ellis is so good that he cannot be upgraded by a 3rd or 4th or perhaps even 5th or 6th round draft choice? Given all our draft choices, you think it makes NO SENSE to try to upgrade the RB position and drafting a player who would likely put Green-Ellis back on the Practice Squad?

I strongly disagree. I think that we have a fine foursome with Taylor, Morris, Faulk and Maroney. The question is what role a 5th RB might fill. That is an open question, one that Belichick is considering AS HE CONTINUES TO INTERVIEW RUNNING BACKS. To me, it makes no sense to believe that Green-Ellis is so good that we shouldn't look to draft a late round draftee to compete with him for a roster position. My personal preference is to sign or draft a blocking fullback. However, there are certainly other possibilities, including scat back, returner, short yardage back, and special team coverage or blciking star. IMHO, all these would be more valuable to the 53-man roster than Green-Ellis.

Thank you ! I completely agree. Green- Ellis being replaced
by a draft pick? You probably lose financially in that deal. Makes no sense.

Faulk will be 33 this year, is a role player, is in a contract year, and has a $4M cap hit (with $3M saved if he is cut or traded).

His cap hit has been 3+ for a couple years now. They obviously think hes worth it.

I'll keep Kevin Faulk any day over a questionable Taylor.

Faulk did it against the Ravens in the 16-0 season. People just decide to overlook that.

I think we just cut him a break because of all the many good things he's done over the years. Every player has a brain fart now and then, even gods like Brady. The flip side is that some players are unfairly maligned, and LoMo could be one of those guys.

I think we just cut him a break because of all the many good things he's done over the years. Every player has a brain fart now and then, even gods like Brady. The flip side is that some players are unfairly maligned, and LoMo could be one of those guys.
I don't know why that play sticks out in a fan's head, as we won the game. The visual I get of Faulk is him reaching back for a bad pass from Brady which kept the drive alive and was a factor in winning the game. Contrasty, I cannot get the thought of a receiver dropping a ball to win a game no matter how many circus catches he makes. Fortunately for me, that player is gone.

I don't know why that play sticks out in a fan's head, as we won the game. The visual I get of Faulk is him reaching back for a bad pass from Brady which kept the drive alive and was a factor in winning the game. Contrasty, I cannot get the thought of a receiver dropping a ball to win a game no matter how many circus catches he makes. Fortunately for me, that player is gone.

Kinda the same way I think of Assante after SB you-know-which-one. That failed interception is all he is to me now. Well, that and the one he made for the Eagles against the Giants last playoff season. I was thrilled to see the Giants bite it and all, but still, I actually shouted at the TV "NOW?!?! NOW YOU MAKE THAT HAPPEN? TOO LITTLE TOO LATE, BUDDY!" Irrational and unfair on my part? Probably, but so what? :D

As to cutting Faulk in favor of JT...No. I can't really imagine that choice would have to be made anyway, but...just no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes