PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Taylor not ready to retire, considering the Patriots again next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm tired of the bend but don't break D.

I'm tired of them not being able to consistently close it out. That said I hear you. I'm not sure younger and more athletic is the answer all the time though.
You need a mix I think. One thing about the veterans was that they understood complex schemes and were able to coach up the rookies enough so they'd contribute and not mess up too often.

We don't have many of those guys left, or at least not enough. You need youth and athleticism absolutely but you can't expect a rookie majority to grasp everything right away without some extra help and hints.

A good balance of youth and experience, but experience with gas left in the tank. though.

its gotta be terrell owens first .... ochocinco has a way to go

or maybe kevin mawae this year now that seymour is gone....or maybe driving lessons from leonard little

BB should just say fack it and sign all the malcontents and criminals.

Pacman
Tank JOhnson
TO
Leonard Little
Trade for Rey Lewis

Who else can we get?

Let's convince Gilbert Arenas to play football.:D

I'd rather trade for Ochocinco and sign Taylor. Neither is a malcontent.

Pacman
Tank JOhnson
TO
Leonard Little
Trade for Rey Lewis

Who else can we get?

It came down to what his family wanted and they wanted to stay in South Florida. His decision to stay with the Dolphins should not be questioned. He has been there his whole career and is one of the most respected players in the NFL. If he changes his mind and wants to be a Patriot in 2010 he is more than welcome.

So let me get this straight... Taylor's decision was all about his family. Now he might come to New England. Did he lose his family somewhere at a mini-mall? Sorry, but I'm definitely not buying it due to the enormous, gaping contradiction here. Seau's entire family and friends are thousands of miles away on the west coast...If he values his family so highly than I wouldn't want him coming here and making a bad decision.

Ok, I'm glad you people are sensitive but I don't think it really matters now does it? Football wise, I don't think Taylor is getting big money from anyone. That said, if we can bring him in here to proive leadership, tutor youngsters and become a pass rusher. I say why not? He's certainly an upgrade over ADT who doesn't want to be here. I'm not saying he's the answer but he could be a solid addition.

I don't care if he turned us down last year. If he wants a ring, and he wants to put the extra pedal to the medal while BB calls upon more help for the defense. I'm all for it. The time to win is now.

Pacman
Tank JOhnson
TO
Leonard Little
Trade for Rey Lewis

Who else can we get?

chistian peter

So let me get this straight... Taylor's decision was all about his family. Now he might come to New England. Did he lose his family somewhere at a mini-mall? Sorry, but I'm definitely not buying it due to the enormous, gaping contradiction here. Seau's entire family and friends are thousands of miles away on the west coast...If he values his family so highly than I wouldn't want him coming here and making a bad decision.

Well I dont know much about Taylor's personal life but I do know that his marriage with his wife has had its ups and downs. I believe there were some issues last off season between him and his wife which could have been the reason as to why he didnt want to come to NE last off season. It is possible that now things have worked out between him and his wife and he is now ready to play outside of Miami. I would love to see him in a Pats uniform, low money with a decent upside.

I disagree. BB has been a great defensive mind for a lot of years in the NFL. I would never even attempt to dispute that. But I do think the aggressive nature Williams uses differs a great deal to the read and react style of BB. I would really like to see the Pats get some personnel capable of playing that style of play. Instead we continue to go after these "smart" players who "fit the system". I think teams have caught up to our defensive philosophy and changing it up to incorporate a more aggressive style could be a step in the right direction.

BB's style has never been aggressive. His defenses have never been those that have that aggressive blitzing styles. They blitz but only in certain situations. Why would BB completely change his style and get rid of most of the defense he has now? Not his style, never will be. Hes had quite a good amount of success from it, so why should we be questioning it now?

BB's style has never been aggressive. His defenses have never been those that have that aggressive blitzing styles. They blitz but only in certain situations. Why would BB completely change his style and get rid of most of the defense he has now? Not his style, never will be. Hes had quite a good amount of success from it, so why should we be questioning it now?

Because things change and teams can adapt to your philosophy over time. I really believe the Pats have become too predictable on D, and I do attribute this to exactly what you're saying. "His defenses have never been those that have aggressive blitzing styles". In my opinion, that style of D is easier to adapt to over time, whereas an aggressive D at least puts a sense of fear/anxiousness/discomfort in a QB. In recent years QBs have seemed way too comfortable in the pocket against our D. BB made his rep as a defensive guru in his days with the giants. His style worked so well there because he did not need to blitz. He had the arguably best pass rusher in the history of the NFL. Those guys are few and far between. The only way to get pressure on the QB without guys like that is to be more aggressive. Unless we sign an LT type player, BB is going to need to change his style or risk QBs picking his D apart more and more as the seasons go on. Just my opinion.

Because things change and teams can adapt to your philosophy over time. I really believe the Pats have become too predictable on D, and I do attribute this to exactly what you're saying. "His defenses have never been those that have aggressive blitzing styles". In my opinion, that style of D is easier to adapt to over time, whereas an aggressive D at least puts a sense of fear/anxiousness/discomfort in a QB. In recent years QBs have seemed way too comfortable in the pocket against our D. BB made his rep as a defensive guru in his days with the giants. His style worked so well there because he did not need to blitz. He had the arguably best pass rusher in the history of the NFL. Those guys are few and far between. The only way to get pressure on the QB without guys like that is to be more aggressive. Unless we sign an LT type player, BB is going to need to change his style or risk QBs picking his D apart more and more as the seasons go on. Just my opinion.

BB's game plan changes from week to week and who the opposing QB his. With some QB's he believes that blitzing is the best way to beat them, others he believes dropping more guys back into coverage is the best way to beat them. As a whole this season the Pats blitzed more than you or most people would think. They blitzed on 41.3% of their plays which ranked 7th in the league. The league average was 34.8%. As a comparison the Jets were ranked 1st at 57.1, the Vikings were 23rd at 30% of the time. The Pats problem this season was not the number of times they blitzed, it was the players they had blitzing which shows why the Pats are desperate for an OLB that can put pressure on the QB.

BB's game plan changes from week to week and who the opposing QB his. With some QB's he believes that blitzing is the best way to beat them, others he believes dropping more guys back into coverage is the best way to beat them. As a whole this season the Pats blitzed more than you or most people would think. They blitzed on 41.3% of their plays which ranked 7th in the league. The league average was 34.8%. As a comparison the Jets were ranked 1st at 57.1, the Vikings were 23rd at 30% of the time. The Pats problem this season was not the number of times they blitzed, it was the players they had blitzing which shows why the Pats are desperate for an OLB that can put pressure on the QB.

I have no idea what data your looking at and I have no reason to doubt your stats, but I imagine 3-4 teams are high on the list and 4-3 teams are low (like Minn). This is somewhat misleading because if Banta-Cain is coming off the edge for the Pats it's a blitz (4 pass rushers) and if the Vikings are rushing the same number of players (4), it's not. My question would be, how many times did the Pats bring more than 4 players? Coming at the QB with 3 run-stuffing 3-4 D-Linemen and TBC is not my idea of putting pressure on the QB. I would rather see BB bring more than that more frequently than he has.

I have no idea what data your looking at and I have no reason to doubt your stats, but I imagine 3-4 teams are high on the list and 4-3 teams are low (like Minn). This is somewhat misleading because if Banta-Cain is coming off the edge for the Pats it's a blitz (4 pass rushers) and if the Vikings are rushing the same number of players (4), it's not. My question would be, how many times did the Pats bring more than 4 players? Coming at the QB with 3 run-stuffing 3-4 D-Linemen and TBC is not my idea of putting pressure on the QB. I would rather see BB bring more than that more frequently than he has.

Those numbers were for teams sending 5 or more rushers, so the Pats brought 5 or more players 41.3% of the time. Your point about bringing 3 linemen and TBC is wrong because those numbers were for when teams rushed 5 or more It was from Mike Reiss' blog last week.

Patriots ranked 7th in NFL in blitzing - Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Re: Jason Taylor not ready to retire,Considering the Patriots again next season

dont want him
i think hes the reason BB didnt draft an OLB in last years draft(he thought he had jason taylor in his back pocket)

Re: Jason Taylor not ready to retire,Considering the Patriots again next season

dont want him
i think hes the reason BB didnt draft an OLB in last years draft(he thought he had jason taylor in his back pocket)

Highly unlikely. If there was a young OLB that BB really liked in the draft that he could have gotten, you're telling me he passed on him because he thought he could get the mid 30's Taylor for a year or two?

Even so, were we so stacked at LB otherwise that he suddenly would have too many good ones? More likely that BB just wasn't as high on some of the OLB's in the draft as others were.

We aren't the ugly girl who gets excited because a guy hints he might ask her out only to be stood up once again.

It was a nice idea the first time, Jason.

:ditto: Well said.

I would love to see Taylor come to New England, but after he chose Miami last year, I'm not getting my hopes up again...

He had 7 sacks in 14 games last season. Belichick would definitely have enough film on him to make an educated guess about how much Taylor has left in the tank. If BB brought him in on either a low-end or incentive laden contract, I don't see why anyone would really have a gripe about that.

I'm just wondering if this is more posturing, if it's because Miami is moving on, or if it's genuine.

Based on what I hear on the radio down here, it sounds like it's because Miami is moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes