PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Taylor not ready to retire, considering the Patriots again next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had 7 sacks in 14 games last season. Belichick would definitely have enough film on him to make an educated guess about how much Taylor has left in the tank. If BB brought him in on either a low-end or incentive laden contract, I don't see why anyone would really have a gripe about that.

I'm just wondering if this is more posturing, if it's because Miami is moving on, or if it's genuine.

Last edited:
We don't need more geriatric defenders, and certainly not one who turned down the opportunity to come here last year.

No thanks.

We don't need more geriatric defenders, and certainly not one who turned down the opportunity to come here last year.

No thanks.

You have to respect his reasoning for not coming here last year. He is one of the most professional players in the NFL and when it comes to family that shouldnt be questioned.

Would he be the all pro that he once was? No, but he would provide the leadership that the defense is lacking right now and have some effect on the pass rush that the 2009 team struggled with.

He had 7 sacks in 14 games last season. Belichick would definitely have enough film on him to make an educated guess about how much Taylor has left in the tank. If BB brought him in on either a low-end or incentive laden contract, I don't see why anyone would really have a gripe about that.

I'm just wondering if this is more posturing, if it's because Miami is moving on, or if it's genuine.

well....the fact is that the only OLB's under contract right now are crable and thomas so one could easily say he would be in the running for a starting job at this point.........except if you were Rob......you'd be convinced that anyone already on the roster is good enough because BB knows what he is doing

Last edited:

I agree. Taylor is the type of guy who can be a strong leader in the lockerroom. He is also seems to be one of those savvy aged veterans who gets it and will play a role to help be a winner. I think the guy is jonesing for a Super Bowl ring and will do whatever it takes to get one for the team he is on.

I would love to have Taylor in here under those conditions. Low risk, potentially high rewards.

I agree that his opportunity with the Patriots should be closed now. I was really excited last offseason because I thought we'd get him. I look at players like Junior Seau and Rodney Harrison; both of these players met with Belichick, agreed that they want to play for a contender, and didn't even go anywhere else. Taylor shamefully played New England and Miami off each other last off-season for more leverage. Normally I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but Taylor is a seasoned veteran who is shown respect everywhere he goes, and he his market value is established. It came down to competing for a championship versus playing in his favorite city. Who knows what difference he would have made, but the bottom line is, he is not a Patriot and he already made his choice.

I'll pass on another aging vet thank you.

I agree that his opportunity with the Patriots should be closed now. I was really excited last offseason because I thought we'd get him. I look at players like Junior Seau and Rodney Harrison; both of these players met with Belichick, agreed that they want to play for a contender, and didn't even go anywhere else. Taylor shamefully played New England and Miami off each other last off-season for more leverage. Normally I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but Taylor is a seasoned veteran who is shown respect everywhere he goes, and he his market value is established. It came down to competing for a championship versus playing in his favorite city. Who knows what difference he would have made, but the bottom line is, he is not a Patriot and he already made his choice.

It came down to what his family wanted and they wanted to stay in South Florida. His decision to stay with the Dolphins should not be questioned. He has been there his whole career and is one of the most respected players in the NFL. If he changes his mind and wants to be a Patriot in 2010 he is more than welcome.

I agree. Taylor is the type of guy who can be a strong leader in the lockerroom. He is also seems to be one of those savvy aged veterans who gets it and will play a role to help be a winner. I think the guy is jonesing for a Super Bowl ring and will do whatever it takes to get one for the team he is on.

I would love to have Taylor in here under those conditions. Low risk, potentially high rewards.

We're missing that leadership big time and agreed, what JT's lost in speed he's likely compensated for it with savvy. Like Deus said,7 sacks out of 14, I'll take that plus throw in the experience and the ring hunger, what's not to like. The Pats are pretty ring hungry too- under the right conditions I'd love to see him here.

Whether he's serious or he's morphed into Brett remains to be seen of course but if he turned us down due solely to family considerations we can't fault him for that. And he obviously loves the game which is a huge plus in my book:).

We're missing that leadership big time and agreed, what JT's lost in speed he's likely compensated for it with savvy. Like Deus said,7 sacks out of 14, I'll take that plus throw in the experience and the ring hunger, what's not to like. The Pats are pretty ring hungry too- under the right conditions I'd love to see him here.

Whether he's serious or he's morphed into Brett remains to be seen of course but if he turned us down due solely to family considerations we can't fault him for that. And he obviously loves the game which is a huge plus in my book:).

Sorry, but I'll take youth and athletic ability over anymore of these aging character guys. Re-sign Wilfork and build around him with guys that can fly around and create havoc. I'm tired of the bend but don't break D, and I don't think a team in the league fears it. I would like to see BB take a look at how Greg Williams runs a defense and build on that.

Sorry, but I'll take youth and athletic ability over anymore of these aging character guys. Re-sign Wilfork and build around him with guys that can fly around and create havoc. I'm tired of the bend but don't break D, and I don't think a team in the league fears it. I would like to see BB take a look at how Greg Williams runs a defense and build on that.

I dont think BB needs to be learning from Gregg Williams....

The Patriots have to assume that Taylor is going to re-sign with
the Dolphins and plan accordingly. Last year, I think BB thought
Taylor would accept the Patriots offer and the Patriots had to
scramble to make the Burgess trade when Taylor re-signed with
Miami.

I dont think BB needs to be learning from Gregg Williams....

I disagree. BB has been a great defensive mind for a lot of years in the NFL. I would never even attempt to dispute that. But I do think the aggressive nature Williams uses differs a great deal to the read and react style of BB. I would really like to see the Pats get some personnel capable of playing that style of play. Instead we continue to go after these "smart" players who "fit the system". I think teams have caught up to our defensive philosophy and changing it up to incorporate a more aggressive style could be a step in the right direction.

guess there always has to be one on the team.......

it all goes back to bryan cox.......the last name says it all

or was it eric bjornson the year before?

I'm looking forward to the day when Ochocinco becomes that guy. We all know it's coming...

I'm looking forward to the day when Ochocinco becomes that guy. We all know it's coming...

its gotta be terrell owens first .... ochocinco has a way to go

or maybe kevin mawae this year now that seymour is gone....or maybe driving lessons from leonard little

Jason Taylor is like the Ty Law of DE's...

I bet BB's heart skipped a beat though when Ed Reed's threatened to retire on Ozzie...

Jason Taylor is like the Ty Law of DE's...

I bet BB's heart skipped a beat though when Ed Reed's threatened to retire on Ozzie...[/QUOTE]

I remember that! BB's heart wasn't the only one that skipped a beat, he still had gas in the tank too. He was a beast among men and BB's coveted him forever.
I still like JT. :)

I don't know why people are getting all personal about this, it's a business, I rather doubt anyone would shed too many tears if the Pats cut someone because they had the opportunity to bring in someone better, why be angry if the Dolphins were an overall better option for Taylor?

That said, if he can bring something to the table I'd be all for bringing him on board, not only would he have his play but he'd bring crucially needed leadership and mentoring to younger players.

I don't know why people are getting all personal about this, it's a business, I rather doubt anyone would shed too many tears if the Pats cut someone because they had the opportunity to bring in someone better, why be angry if the Dolphins were an overall better option for Taylor?

That said, if he can bring something to the table I'd be all for bringing him on board, not only would he have his play but he'd bring crucially needed leadership and mentoring to younger players.

I just don't think there is much taylor has to offer the youngsters as a 3-4 OLB

Re: Jason Taylor not ready to retire,Considering the Patriots again next season

He's dead to me ... he had his chance.

:ditto: For better or worse we are moving on with youth infusion. BTW how was his stats for this past year ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes