PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Peters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any Adam Seward updates?
Man, I'm having a hard time keeping track.

I think there is an opportunity here. He's in the middle of a holdout, probably wants Michael Roos type money, which isn't bad for a top-flight left tackle. In my opinion, the Pats should make a move for him.

Peters is in my opinion a top three tackle in the league, is 26 and a far superior athlete than Matt Light. Getting Peters would enable the team to move Light to the right side, upgrading LT by a decent margin and upgrading RT by a large one.

Obviously, the snag is the cost of the trade. There, I am blanked. Maybe someone could offer a solution?

I'm all for it. Do you think a bag of balls would be enough?;)

Here's a better idea: how about we just don't post any threads and lurk around an inactive forum? That way, people can stop *****ing and moaning about what types of threads are posted.

:rofl:......

Later round draft choice, by the time he finishes this contract he'll be 30 years old. Jonathan Ogden just retired after a few years beyond that.

Peters wasn't drafted in 2004. Ogden retired after 12 years of starting; Peters hasn't been a starter for a full 3 years yet.

The rest of this isn't directed to anyone specifically...

Peters came out in 2004 as a 325 lb. tight end out of Arkansas. He switched from TE in the NFL to OT his first offseason because he realized he could make a lot more money as an OT than as a blocking TE.

I think he's at a point where he's looking to maximize his earning potential, not winning potential, so I think that, even in an open market, the Pats would be hard pressed to win out on this player.

Not to mention he's currently under contract to a division rival.

Towards the speculation about Peters, here is my justification of expendature:

1- I think Matt Light is just not that great of a left tackle. I think he would be a better fit at right.

and your resaon for thinking this is? please don't say the superbowl. the whole o-line was crushed. thats just one game. look at the season as a whole, and i think tom brady might have a problem with your statement.

I find it kinda funny, that thoughout last season, everyone on this board kept talking about how much time brady had in the pocket. since the superbowl, all anyone ever says is that our o-line stinks, and we need an upgrade. So i guess that means everyone thinks that bradys time in the pocket was created by the cheerleaders? :rolleyes:

There's probably 28 teams out there that would love to have our 0-line. Sure peters would be a nice addition, but not if its gonna cost us an arm, and a leg. our line is fine :rocker:

The season as a whole? No, friend I'm talking a career as a whole. For a "pro-bowl" left tackle, he has no feet. With the shifts in the personell scheme across the league, you have to adapt. As with any organization, you cannot sit back after prior success and say "this works and we're going to keep doing it regardless of market flux". The reason this team is so succesful is that they are fluid and maleable. I'm getting off point here. Back to Light.

Watch what happens when he plays explosive rushers with their ears pinned back. Have you seen how deep his bucket step is? How hard he opens his body to the outside? Think that might open an enormous lane in the b gap? Think someone could gameplan this?

Look, I'm not saying that Matt Light is a bad player. I that he is pretty damn good. He's just not as good as most like to think he is. He has outstanding technique, a quarterback who buys time better than anyone and excellent awareness. He's not a high-level athlete and given his sub-par agility would be a much better fit on the right side of the line.

The entire value of potentially acquiring Peters is that it upgrades both positions instantly. Not only that, but it tremendously improves depth. You instantly get the best left side in the NFL, with both players' best days in front of them. You then have good depth at RT and probably a top-5 right tackle. Just because a unit played well doesn't mean it cannot be improved.

Peters wasn't drafted in 2004. Ogden retired after 12 years of starting; Peters hasn't been a starter for a full 3 years yet.

The rest of this isn't directed to anyone specifically...

Peters came out in 2004 as a 325 lb. tight end out of Arkansas. He switched from TE in the NFL to OT his first offseason because he realized he could make a lot more money as an OT than as a blocking TE.

I think he's at a point where he's looking to maximize his earning potential, not winning potential, so I think that, even in an open market, the Pats would be hard pressed to win out on this player.

Not to mention he's currently under contract to a division rival.

I mentioned Ogden to point out the shelf life of these players. Career is over at 33 or 34. That means Peters'll be on the tail end when his current contract is up. Three years is maybe too early to renegotiate, but I don't blame him if he took this tack more seriously next summer. How is his situation different than Ty Warren's? Peters is as established at his position as Warren is, and the Pats ripped up Warren's contract with two years left on it.

The guy was an undrafted free agent. We could have drafted him instead of Cobbs that year. I loved him coming into the draft as a project player. To keep it honest, I actually liked Cobbs, too.

One reason you might come across is that IIRC Peters was an UDFA or at the most a 7th round pick. If the Pats had any interest they could have had him for nothing and cheaply. So now you are saying they would jump at the chance to give a high draft pick AND pay him the 5 mil a year he wants?

I know. If Tom Brady ever becomes available the pats would have a hard time finding suitors for him. I mean, he's a former 6th round pick and other teams could have had him for so much cheaper back then if they were interested. No way that now they'd give up a high pick AND pay him huge bucks. Right?

The season as a whole? No, friend I'm talking a career as a whole. For a "pro-bowl" left tackle, he has no feet. With the shifts in the personell scheme across the league, you have to adapt. As with any organization, you cannot sit back after prior success and say "this works and we're going to keep doing it regardless of market flux". The reason this team is so succesful is that they are fluid and maleable. I'm getting off point here. Back to Light.

Watch what happens when he plays explosive rushers with their ears pinned back. Have you seen how deep his bucket step is? How hard he opens his body to the outside? Think that might open an enormous lane in the b gap? Think someone could gameplan this?

Look, I'm not saying that Matt Light is a bad player. I that he is pretty damn good. He's just not as good as most like to think he is. He has outstanding technique, a quarterback who buys time better than anyone and excellent awareness. He's not a high-level athlete and given his sub-par agility would be a much better fit on the right side of the line.

The entire value of potentially acquiring Peters is that it upgrades both positions instantly. Not only that, but it tremendously improves depth. You instantly get the best left side in the NFL, with both players' best days in front of them. You then have good depth at RT and probably a top-5 right tackle. Just because a unit played well doesn't mean it cannot be improved.

And you'd have about 10% of your cap dedicated to your starting two tackles. Light is making way too much to be a RT. He's a Pro Bowl LT, no matter how you slice it.

Last edited:
Actually I have no problem with these type of speculation threads. Some are quite comical and some are quite insightful.

In this case Buffalo holds all the cards and would want a 1st round draft choice (speculation on my part). So I would speculate a 10,000-1 shot that this happens.

PS, I was wrong about Randy Moss.

BTW, if the people at PFWonline get a giggle out of it, that's fine with me.

Exactly, who's worse? The irrelevant poster or the dude who complains that people are lurking on a dead forum and then posts about it? If you have so much to do, stop reading an empty forum. I certainly don't mind reading this stuff. Gives me SOMETHING to read while I'm at work - hardly working.

What is all this talk about Jason's Peter? Is this really an appropriate subject for this forum?

While I doub tseriously that Buffalo would trade within the division, I can definitely say that I do not thinkPeters is much of an upgrade over Light,especially at 8 to 10 million per season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back