PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason LaCanfora: Pats may pursue Victor Cruz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, hope that report is off. Giving up a 1st for someone unproven in our system and looking for a big payday. Rather pay Welker

I'd rather keep Welker and just pay him but you also can't shy the fact the Cruz is an incredible receiver that also poses a deep threat. I like the guy, if Welker walks, I have no opposition with bringing him to New England.

Yep I'm the new poster who has been around 8 years. I disagree with what Revis is interpreting as a double team. As a Patriot fan I'm sure you are well versed in the philosophy of killing your opponent with praise and kindness...

Binkys are untouchable, players on other teams suck and are never worth anything. If you stick to that philosophy, you will never be wrong in some posters' eyes.

Yep I'm the new poster who has been around 8 years. I disagree with what Revis is interpreting as a double team. As a Patriot fan I'm sure you are well versed in the philosophy of killing your opponent with praise and kindness...

It isn't just Revis who has said it. As for you disagreeing with what Revis calls a double team, well that only proves what you don't know about football.

Binkys are untouchable, players on other teams suck and are never worth anything. If you stick to that philosophy, you will never be wrong in some posters' eyes.

The problem with you is that you think everyone else is looking at things in black and white. We're not. Just because I'm not su*king on Cruz's jock the way you are doesn't mean I think he stinks. I just am not enthralled with him.

I view him as an Alvin Harper/ Peerless Price kind of guy. Do some research and maybe you'll understand the references..

Cruz is sick and worth a late first rounder. Problem would be the contract he would want. Contract aside I'd take Cruz instead Welker any day of the week and I am a Welker fan and only jersey of active players I own.

To me there are upsides and downsides of both Cruz and Welker.

Welker's biggest downside is his age which could end up being an issue as soon as this upcoming season. Receivers can hit the age wall fast and hard. The abuse Welker has taken in his career puts him as a prime candidate for that. He has also developed a habit of dropping passes. Unsure it was a fluke year last year or a trend that will continue the rest of his career because of his age.

Welker's upside is apparent since we have seen it over the last five year. I don't know if I need to go over it.

Cruz's upside is pretty big. He is a versatile receiver who can be used in a number of roles. He can stretch the field. He can play outside. He can play inside. He has great after the catch ability. He is still young.

Cruz's downside is what you would have to give up in a draft pick and salary which is significant. He does not have a long track record since he has only played two years. He does have the dropsies at times. Obviously, it is unknown if he can adapt to the Pats' system.

My first choice would be retain Welker. But if the Pats lose Welker, I think Cruz is the best option after him.

as far as signings go, and future of their careers...

Cruz > Welker

the negative of a short track record for cruz is correct, though minor

the greater problem is how will he adjust to our system, and at this point that is a valid question for any WR in this league, no matter their prior careers

So the pats will need to make a general decision which will become a centerpiece of the team for as long as brady is here at least: do you spend big on proven WR's in the nfl, and hope they can learn your system, or do you go by draft, waste early years teaching wr's, and again hope they can learn your system (at this point i cant say their chances are any better or worse than an FA WR)

if they sign one or two of the good vet CB's on the market and then sign/trade for Cruz then ok but if not it dose not make the team better to trade away a #1 pick to get brady a young #3 opt,

give me Darrius Heyward-Bey and Nnamdi Asomugha for the same price as Cruz and they still have the Draft pick to use on a WR. DB. DT

if they sign one or two of the good vet CB's on the market and then sign/trade for Cruz then ok but if not it dose not make the team better to trade away a #1 pick to get brady a young #3 opt,

give me Darrius Heyward-Bey and Nnamdi Asomugha for the same price as Cruz and they still have the Draft pick to use on a WR. DB. DT

DHB + Lloyd outsite, AH in the slot, gronk in tight Ridley/Vereen in the backfield?

It'd be pretty interesting. I think Lloyd can improve in our system as Brady isn't an easy person to gain trust with as we've seen, I think his production mostly came from knowing the system, maybe another year with Tom and they can build some chemistry. Can DHB learn it? Can he finally live up, at least partially, to his expectations with a real QB throwing to him?

I'd rather someone younger than Nnamdi though, or at least pair him with another CB off the market and stick with a man based scheme where he succeeded in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes