PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason LaCanfora: Pats may pursue Victor Cruz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be one of the very few people not enthralled with the idea of signing Victor Cruz.

He's not nearly as talented as Welker, imho. He's more of a David Givens type receiver.

Cruz had 5 games under 40 yards receiving this past year. And this is a guy people want to throw a $9m AAV contract at???? No thanks..

I must be one of the very few people not enthralled with the idea of signing Victor Cruz.

He's not nearly as talented as Welker, imho. He's more of a David Givens type receiver.

Cruz had 5 games under 40 yards receiving this past year. And this is a guy people want to throw a $9m AAV contract at???? No thanks..

Eli Manning couldn't hit the broad side of a barn this year. Maybe it was Cruz's fault, but for some reason, I might go with Cruz's past proven production as Eli has always been a hot or cold QB

I think the Patriots have at most 3 more seasons of Brady being Brady. After that, who knows the extent of his decline. And I'd bet Welker will outproduce Cruz in the next 2 or 3 seasons. So that's basically the time frame they should think about, I don't think it would be wise to exchange a player with unmatched chemistry with Brady and a history of productivity in the system with a player who's started for two seasons. Besides, I just don't see how parting with a first rounder and giving more guaranteed money and a longer contract to Cruz would be a better option than just retaining Welker.

Eli Manning couldn't hit the broad side of a barn this year. Maybe it was Cruz's fault, but for some reason, I might go with Cruz's past proven production as Eli has always been a hot or cold QB

The thing is Cruz' "past proven productivity" consists of a whopping one season.

Lol, welker can't do any of this

YouTube

I agree a first rounder is steep but from a pure talent perspective cruz is just better.

I'm not. I'd rather have a 3 year older Greg Jennings for around the same price and not a 1st rounder

Also 4 of his 5 games over 100 yards last year were against WSH 2x, NO & TB, which were the bottom 3 teams in pass defense last year.

He also failed to get over 60 yards in 10 games last year.

I'm not. I'd rather have a 3 year older Greg Jennings for around the same price and not a 1st rounder

Also 4 of his 5 games over 100 yards last year were against WSH 2x, NO & TB, which were the bottom 3 teams in pass defense last year.

He also failed to get over 60 yards in 10 games last year.

Thats because nicks was hurt for much of the year, so teams just double teamed cruz. With gronk, hernandez, ballard, thereis no way defenses can stop cruz.

Thats because nicks was hurt for much of the year, so teams just double teamed cruz. With gronk, hernandez, ballard, thereis no way defenses can stop cruz.

if he has so much talent he should be able to get past that like other WRs with pure talent. he can't. Like someone said i would rather have jennings for cheaper and keep my first round and i don't even want jennings let alone cruz

Lol, welker can't do any of this

YouTube

I agree a first rounder is steep but from a pure talent perspective cruz is just better.

From a pure talent perspective Joey Galloway is better, and arguably so are Chad Jackson or Ochocinco. I can point you to numerous highlights of those guys making catches and plays Wes couldn't ever DREAM of making. Fortunately, talent isn't all it takes to make it in the NFL. Hard work, smarts, consistency and dedication count just as much, if not more so. Wake me up when Cruz is a consistent 100+ catch 1200+ yards receiver year in and year out in the NFL, because right now he's a guy who had a great season and a merely above average one.

Manning threw 38 fewer completions on 53 fewer attempts. Cruz, on the other hand, had 4 MORE receptions in 2012 than in 2011. So, you'll have to forgive me that your attempt to blame Manning doesn't hold water.

Cruz's "past" production was ONE season where he put up 82 receptions for 1536 yards. He had more receptions and less yards this past year. The yards dropped off by 29%. 6 yards per reception less.

What is more likely? That Cruz's one great season was a fluke because he caught people by surprise or that Cruz is a BONAFIDE #1 receiver???

Ugggh...I can't STAND when he does that stupid Salsa, so no thanks!

if he has so much talent he should be able to get past that like other WRs with pure talent. he can't. Like someone said i would rather have jennings for cheaper and keep my first round and i don't even want jennings let alone cruz

Jennings has been banged up the last two years, which is a little off putting.

Manning threw 38 fewer completions on 53 fewer attempts. Cruz, on the other hand, had 4 MORE receptions in 2012 than in 2011. So, you'll have to forgive me that your attempt to blame Manning doesn't hold water.

Cruz's "past" production was ONE season where he put up 82 receptions for 1536 yards. He had more receptions and less yards this past year. The yards dropped off by 29%. 6 yards per reception less.

What is more likely? That Cruz's one great season was a fluke because he caught people by surprise or that Cruz is a BONAFIDE #1 receiver???

For a guy who has only played two years, it is way to early to call one of them a fluke. For all we know, last year was a fluke and his 1,500 yard season is his typical production.

Eli Manning did throw for 1,000 less yards last year than in 2011. Hakeem Nicks was banged up all last year and lost Manningham. Bradshaw was less of a factor in the receiving game. Teams could focus in on Cruz more because he was their only consistent weapon.

I am still on the fence about this because of the first round compensation, but I would be all for getting Cruz if he was an UFA.

Care to guess how many games Welker was double-teamed? Care to guess how many games Welker was held to 60 yards or less??

Welker was held to 60 or less yards 4 times on the season. The first time was in game 1 when the game plan didn't call for him to be that involved. The next 3 times were St. Louis, Houston and San Fran. For the St. Louis game, Welker (and others) were out of the game by the start of the 4th quarter. For the Houston game, the Pats focused on Lloyd and Hernandez. San Fran was the only game where Welker was "shut down" by the opposing team.

And before you go talking about the Giants, it's not like they didn't have others to step up. Like Martellus Bennett and Domenik Hixon. Are they as good as Nicks? No. But let's be real. Neither Hernandez nor Lloyd are as good as Gronkowski.

Cruz was running shorter routes because Eli was sucking

This screams Plan B to me.

Plan A being Welker...

Personally other than age I would far prefer Wes but not bad plan if we were to lose Wes.

Maybe it's instead one of the options in part 2 of plan A.

Plan A
1) re-sign Wes
2) upgrade from Lloyd
3) re-sign Edelman, or sign a more viable #3 WR with special teams skills

Cruz was running shorter routes because Eli was sucking

Which is weird because Eli's short pass accuracy is arguably the weakest part of his game. Is there any source for this or are you just making up an explanation on the go?

Care to guess how many games Welker was double-teamed? Care to guess how many games Welker was held to 60 yards or less??

Welker was held to 60 or less yards 4 times on the season. The first time was in game 1 when the game plan didn't call for him to be that involved. The next 3 times were St. Louis, Houston and San Fran. For the St. Louis game, Welker (and others) were out of the game by the start of the 4th quarter. For the Houston game, the Pats focused on Lloyd and Hernandez. San Fran was the only game where Welker was "shut down" by the opposing team.

And before you go talking about the Giants, it's not like they didn't have others to step up. Like Martellus Bennett and Domenik Hixon. Are they as good as Nicks? No. But let's be real. Neither Hernandez nor Lloyd are as good as Gronkowski.

Welker is almost never double teamed. He usually covered in a zone and defenses concede the short underneath stuff.

It will be interesting whether the people who wanted the Pats to give up a first for Wallace last year would still be up for giving up a first for Cruz.

Personally, I am on the fence about Cruz and was adamantly against doing it for Wallace. Cruz is a better receiver than Wallace who can run sharp routes and fits the Pats' system better than Wallace would.

A first is a little much for Cruz, but I thought a second was a little much for Welker and Cruz has been far better in his career in his first few years than Welker.

I was a no on Wallace as well. The other difference between Welker and Cruz is money. Welker's contract was 5/18 (about that) and Cruz will make 18 up front. If he was an FA I'd be up for them paying him in the 8-range but that plus the first is too steep.

Which is weird because Eli's short pass accuracy is arguably the weakest part of his game. Is there any source for this or are you just making up an explanation on the go?

Well, I know Eli was sucking because he was on my fantasy team, so pretty much watched him suck every game. I know that Cruz was running shorter routes because...he has less YPC.

Besides that though, he still had 10 TDs.

oh and 18 YPC all the way down to a paltry 12 YPC...come on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back