PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason LaCanfora: Pats may pursue Victor Cruz

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be sad if we have to waste picks to get cruz in a draft filled with receivers. God we suck at drafting wr. Man i hate the giants! Our weaknesses when it comes to the draft are their strengths. We can't find wrs and pass rushers and that is all they find.

It would be sad if we have to waste picks to get cruz in a draft filled with receivers. God we suck at drafting wr. Man i hate the giants! Our weaknesses when it comes to the draft are their strengths. We can't find wrs and pass rushers and that is all they find.

Would rather get a WR in free agency whether it is retaining Welker or getting Cruz or Jennings. The draft has a lot of WR, but there are only a few that are going to be considered very good prospects from what I am reading. Most of the others might turn into solid #2 WRs at best. Cruz can be a legitimate #1.

Cruz has had 168 catches for 2628 yards and 19 TDs over the last two years. He is only 26 years old. A first might be a bit high for him, but I can't say you are wasting a pick on a guy with that type of production.

That's because the LOLphins were clueless and it took them about a year and a half to figure out that Welker, who had set receiving records at Texas Tech, was much more than a KR/PR.

That's true, but the Giants didn't even dress Cruz for his first year. Cruz has only been producing for the last two and been in the league for three years.

My friend who is a Giants fan told me during the Super Bowl that he feared that the Pats with a low first round pick would go after Victor Cruz to sign him. If Jason LaCanfora's sources are right, his fears may come true.

On heels of Boldin, Harvin deals, Giants' Cruz could be next WR dealt - CBSSports.com

The Pats did deal with Condon last year when they signed Lloyd. So the animosity of both sides may have cooled a bit.
The animosity will resurface when the Pats cut LLoyd.

I'd give up the first for him but it depends on the contract. He probably won't end up going anywhere, though.

I like OTG's idea about RFA Danario Alexander. he'd obviously be cheaper but that kid can play. Naturally there's risk because of his knee troubles, however.

The animosity will resurface when the Pats cut LLoyd.

If agents had animosity towards teams that cut their clients, no agent would get along with any team.

No no no no no... What we DON'T need is another small fast WR

Cruz, Welker and Lloyd would make a fine trio of receivers to pair with Gronk, Hernandez and Ballard. All six are solid pass catchers and disciplined route runners.

I think it is the overall quality of the receiving group that matters most - not one guy. Put that group together and defenses can't double team like they could last season with Branch or Stallworth on the field ( as much as we may have once loved those guys.) The key is to keep the opposing defense honest at all times, and to keep the chains moving.

Those six receivers combined with the Vereen, Ridley, Woodhead running attack makes nine proven skill players who collectively are dangerous.

I hate that effin salsa.

Do we really want a guy that can be shut down by Arrington?

Cruz is the perfect receiver for this offense. Operates in the slot, but can play outside and can make huge plays AFTER the catch, i.e. breaking a 10 yard route for a TD, which Welker can't do. Given that Brady's deep ball is so-so a receiver that can run the slot, threaten the intermediate, AND break the big play is exactly what would work with Brady.

Sadly giving up a first and 70 million dollars (his demands are reported to be 6 years 70 million) aint happening. Maybe the money would if we didn't bring back Welker, but not that first rounder.

I hate that effin salsa.

Do we really want a guy that can be shut down by Arrington?

Given how bad Arrington is generally, how do you explain Cruz's production? Terrible corners league wide?

Oh please let this be true. What's his tender?

You do realize the Pats got the better of Condon last year with Brandon Lloyd. You do realize that Lloyd and Cruz have the same agent. In fact, they both fired their former agent and hired Condon going into free agency.

I think Lloyd was the main key (buffer) in this because he wanted to go with McDaniels and get out of St. Louis and probably play for TFB. Cruz on the other hand has zero connections with the Pats and is apparently chasing the big bucks which would mean the Patriots would have to deal with Condon in a lot of back and forth negotiations, I just don't see it happening!!

This screams Plan B to me.

Plan A being Welker.

Think about it for a second. On the surface it makes sense and when you dig a little deeper like some other posters have to point out that front loading the deal would make it near impossible for the Giants to match it. Well if we shell out deals to Wes and Talib it might be tough to structure this so its front loaded (unless you back loaded Talib and Wes but do to age and off field I wouldnt back load those).

If Wes were to walk you were already planning an 8 mil or so cap hit so you can then afford to front load the Cruz deal to make sure you get him.

Personally other than age I would far prefer Wes but not bad plan if we were to lose Wes.

Dang a 1st would be tight. Don't think BB has ever traded a 1st for a player. It's going to be a late 1st anyways...what type of $ is Cruz looking for? They are going to have to pay Spikes and McCourty soon so gotta be careful paying too many guys. If they don't sign Welker then I guess it's not that bad.

I think Lloyd was the main key (buffer) in this because he wanted to go with McDaniels and get out of St. Louis and probably play for TFB. Cruz on the other hand has zero connections with the Pats and is apparently chasing the big bucks which would mean the Patriots would have to deal with Condon in a lot of back and forth negotiations, I just don't see it happening!!

So if the Pats think Cruz is the one piece missing from winning a Super Bowl and they absolutely love the guy they are going to pass because Condon is his agent. I find that BS. If the Pats want Cruz, they will negotiate with Condon. If they don't, they won't.

People put too much on this "the Pats won't negotiate with Condon". If they want the player bad enough, they will negotiate with anyone. Also, Cruz is going to want his agent to negotiate with the Pats and everyone else interested because it will only drive up his price.

Dang a 1st would be tight. Don't think BB has ever traded a 1st for a player. It's going to be a late 1st anyways...what type of $ is Cruz looking for? They are going to have to pay Spikes and McCourty soon so gotta be careful paying too many guys. If they don't sign Welker then I guess it's not that bad.

It's always a late first and we never trade it :p

He wants 6 years 70 million, which isn't horrible if you don't keep Welker, but if you gotta give up that pick no go.

I like how he states... They "may pursue" lol... What the hell does that mean??? It's either they are pursuing or not pursuing

Earlier today I heard that the Pats may also be pursuing myself as a replacement to Wes

It's always a late first and we never trade it :p

He wants 6 years 70 million, which isn't horrible if you don't keep Welker, but if you gotta give up that pick no go.

I don't really see why not. Cruz is really good, he would be worth a first round pick. You could draft a receiver instead, but you wouldn't know what you would get. Here you know what you are getting.

One thing that might lend weight to this rumor is that according to Ian Rappaport, Welker has not gotten any offer from the Patriots at all. If they are letting Welker walk without trying to retain him, they are going after a significant WR either in free agency or a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back