PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Cole: Welker won't hold out if he doesn't have a new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when he was a Dolphin thinking "this guy is going to be good, if only he had a team around him."

When we got him it was like x-mas. What was that business sorrounding it though? Wasn't the league saying there were some shady dealings?

Wrong again. There could have been some shady dealings had the team chosen to simply sign him to an offer sheet with poison pill clauses the Dolphins had no chance of matching. But the league had warned teams, even though the loophole existed and others had made use of it (Hutchinson) that they were not going to look kindly on teams who persisted in using it. That guy you think should shut up and remain in the background therefore stepped up and brokered a trade at ownership level that allowed us to acquire the player in trade rather than signing him to an inflated offer sheet. The price for doing business the way the league preferred it be done, civally, was a 7th round pick added to the RFA price of a 2nd. And both of ours were in the bottom quarter of those rounds. Since then thanks in large part to that guy you think should shut up and remain in the backgroud - as opposed to anyone named Rooney - we have a new, better CBA (and TV deals he brokered) that even managed to closed the divisive poison pill loophole.

Wrong again. There could have been some shady dealings had the team chosen to simply sign him to an offer sheet with poison pill clauses the Dolphins had no chance of matching. But the league had warned teams, even though the loophole existed and others had made use of it (Hutchinson) that they were not going to look kindly on teams who persisted in using it. That guy you think should shut up and remain in the background therefore stepped up and brokered a trade at ownership level that allowed us to acquire the player in trade rather than signing him to an inflated offer sheet. The price for doing business the way the league preferred it be done, civally, was a 7th round pick added to the RFA price of a 2nd. And both of ours were in the bottom quarter of those rounds. Since then thanks in large part to that guy you think should shut up and remain in the backgroud - as opposed to anyone named Rooney - we have a new, better CBA (and TV deals he brokered) that even managed to closed the divisive poison pill loophole.

Wrong again..? I was asking a question.

Thank you for answering it.

Last edited:
Good for him. He's probably motivated to get back to work after blowing the Super Bowl.

I think Wes realizes that he has a legitimate shot at making the hall of fame and holding out would mean losing an opportunity to catch more passes from who may be the best QB of all time. Even with the tag he's making a lot of money and has a great opportunity for a ring. I definitely respect Wes for not holding out and missing out on something so special.

In case anyone still needed confirmation that Wes won't be holding out...

"I'm just excited to be back with the Patriots, and excited to know I'm going to be here this next year, and looking forward to the season," he said.

Asked if he was OK with the franchise tag, Welker said, "Yeah, for sure. It will be half of what I made my whole contract this past [time] around. Not too bad."

When asked if there was any progress on the contract front, Welker responded, "Not that I know of. The only progress that I know of is the same, as far as the franchise tag."

Welker was then asked if that was disappointing to him.

"Not really," he answered. "That's a lot of money, so I'm definitely kind of excited about it."

In terms of plans to sign the tender, Welker added that he wasn't sure about the timing of it.

"I think we'll kind of see how things go," he said.

Other receivers around the NFL struck it big in free agency, and Welker was asked his thoughts on that.

"Definitely excitement," he said. "I think it kind of solidified what I thought was in my head. It kind of put out there my worth, I guess."

Welker comments on franchise tag - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I called this weeks ago. Welker actually is happy getting the $9 million this coming season and just assumes his career will continue beyond that.

yeah?????...well...I called my psychiatrist two YEARS ago and he told me to take the Hald...uh....oh....sorry....just had another of those psychotic breaks from reality....I'll never make 17,000 posts like the truly sane on this board....:-(

I called this weeks ago. Welker actually is happy getting the $9 million this coming season and just assumes his career will continue beyond that.

I thought Welker had made it pretty clear before that he was not taking a hard line approach on the tag and future negotiations.

He could potentially justify it but I think with the $9 million guaranteed - probably nearly half of what he'd get as a bonus of a long term deal, he and the team are both generally appeased by the status quo of going through this season on a one year deal.

At that level, if Welker stays healthy and productive as one would expect he'll be a free agent and maximize his earnings between this year and next.

Doesn't it help the Pats to get a long term contract done with Wes? Why screw around with a FT for one year?

Maybe they only want/need Wes for one year with Edelman and Gonzales on the roster? Perhaps Hernandez becomes a slot reciever?

Just throwing Sh!t out there :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back