PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Cole: Patriots #2 O-line in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I don't agree with that ranking at all. I'd like to, but I don't. Vollmer is going to see a lot of time this year in the starting line-up and, though he has a very bright future, his green-ness can't be disputed from last year. Stephen Neal is very good but has suddenly become oft-injured in the last few years and his back-up is still Connolly, who didn't exactly set the world on fire when coming in for Neal. Koppen, I think, is solid (though an upgrade certainly wouldn't be out of the question). As of right now, it doesn't look like Mankins is going to play a down for the Patriots again which means Kaczur is going to see his first full season transitioning from RT to LG. Matt Light is solid at LT.

You can see that this O-Line, as of right now, is not the second best O-Line in the league.

Cole bases his rankings primarily on stats from Football Outsiders, which you can see here: FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2009 OFFENSIVE LINES

My biggest issue with those rankings is that offensive lines are ranked in terms of pass protection solely on percentage of sacks. In my opinion sacks are one of the most over rated statistics in football. Quarterback pressures, hurries, and knock downs are much more important. If a QB has to hurry his throw and get it off before a receiver has time to run his route, or is hit as he is throwing, that can have a much greater effect, especially if it happens over and over during the course of a game or season.

Going off the top of my head I think I'd rate the Saints, Ravens, Dolphins, Jets, Bengals, and Giants ahead of the Patriots, as well as possibly the Falcons, Eagles and Cowboys. The offensive line of the Patriots is somewhere in the top ten, but #2 seems to be too high for them.

If the line is a healthy

Light
Mankins
Koppen
Neal
Kaczur/Vollmer

I've got no problem with the ranking, although I want to see more focus on first and second down run blocking. Without Mankins, I don't think you could rank them at all. It'd have to be like Vegas taking a bet off the board.

Rediculous rating for the Pats O-line. Do I believe stats or my own lying eyes? Besides using sacks as a measuring device....if Brady wasn't...well Brady....the number of sacks would increase dramatically and would result in a more true rating.

What would this rating mean for Maroney's running abilities?????? We always see that "they were in the backfield when he took the handoff"....etc...

What this means, if true, is that most posters on this board would have their heads explode from the suckiness of the O-line if they were fans of most any other team except the Saints.

Nah.....this guy was smoking something when he came up with this....

Going off the top of my head I think I'd rate the Saints, Ravens, Dolphins, Jets, Bengals, and Giants ahead of the Patriots, as well as possibly the Falcons, Eagles and Cowboys. The offensive line of the Patriots is somewhere in the top ten, but #2 seems to be too high for them.
O-lines with really good QB's are hard to rate because they make quick decisions ala Brees, Brady and Manning. For years, people would rate the Colts line mediocre, yet they were one the top teams in least sacks allowed. Ditto with the Saints. However, the only difference between these two teams is that the Saints are pretty good at run blocking.

Looking at the list, my rankings as follows:
1. Saints (we'll see how they do without Jamaal Brown)
2. Giants (I think their line is pretty balanced all around but struggle against elite rushers like Ware)
3. Denver (depends on if their tackles are healthy)
4. Ravens (inconsistent pass blocking but very good run blocking)
5. Patriots (weak run blocking but arguably one of the best pass blocking lines considering how much they throw)

lol @ the Jets being #7, this poll is a joke, does he really think the loss of Fanaca downgrades the whole line? oh wait nvm

Jason Cole
Jason Cole is an award-winning writer who covered the Miami Dolphins for 15 years at The Miami Herald and the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. A member of the Pro Football Writers Association, he also has experience covering the NBA. Jason graduated from Stanford with a degree in communication.
lol

Last edited:
lol @ the Jets being #7, this poll is a joke, does he really think the loss of Fanaca downgrades the whole line? oh wait nvm

lol

You make a very valid point. The Jets at #7 is higher than they belong.

What's the ETA on when this Jets fan drops a desperation Spygate crack?

You won't last here long....

Im sorry im just stating my opinion, ur just making it a practical joke. Im not saying the Jets have the best O-line tandem, people just overrate Fanaca saying he was a huge piece of our line. Fanaca was 33 and was a huge liability in the running game our strength, so we replaced him with a young, much-bigger, Vladimir Ducasse.

But i do think the Pats do have an underrated o-line

Last edited:
I think the o-line is underrated, but I don't think they are the second best unit in the league. I still think Light gets trashed far too much for being a turnstyle eventhough I don't think he gave up a single sack after he returned from injury (he does get credit by a lot of people for the strip sack of Brady in the playoffs but replays of the play is pretty clear that it wasn't his fault). When healthy, Neal is a top RG. Vollmer has been an excellent RT. Mankins is one of the best LG in the league. I think Koppen is the weakest link of the starting line (if you don't count Neal's injury history), but he is still an above average center.

A. this ranking is based on the assumption that Mankins is playing.
B. this ranking doesn't seem to take into account run-block prowess.
Therefore C. I can't take it very seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back