PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Cole: Mankins refused renegotiation twice

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, change the names. No one liked Seymour. Most think Mankins was overpaid. We got good stuff in return. Lawyer Milloy -- that was a dust up!

Need to start the season quick.

I liked Seymour a lot. Hated the trade at the time that it was made, only came around to it in the last year or two.

If he thinks there's a decent chance that he can still make the money stated in his contract, he is simply looking out for his own financial interests. That is not being selfish.
But its not being practical, Galeb. You cannot deny that, while he is still an above average OG, he's hasn't been the player who earned that big contract for a couple of years now. In other words he's no longer playing to the level of that big contract. There is no WAY that another team would give him the same money if he were on the open market.

The Pats did him a HUGE favor by trading him a to a team with a desperate need for an interior offensive lineman and the cap room to be able to significantly overpay for a declining asset. Its a deal that works for both parties, even though its not perfect for either side.

I do wonder how 2015 will go for LM. I'm assuming that at 33 years old the Bucs will ask him to restructure. Based on his history, he will say no and become a FA.

I am also assuming that LM also played out that scenario and judged that what the Pats offered was far less that what he would receive if he stuck to his guns and rolled the dice on 2015.

If the Bucs acquired him figuring that they can get him to restructure next year, then they really didn't do their due diligence. I would assume that they know exactly what kind of guy and exactly how willing he is to renegotiate.

But its not being practical, Galeb. You cannot deny that, while he is still an above average OG, he's hasn't been the player who earned that big contract for a couple of years now. In other words he's no longer playing to the level of that big contract. There is no WAY that another team would give him the same money if he were on the open market.

The Pats did him a HUGE favor by trading him a to a team with a desperate need for an interior offensive lineman and the cap room to be able to significantly overpay for a declining asset. Its a deal that works for both parties, even though its not perfect for either side.
The signing bonus has already been paid by the Pats. There may be a team out there willing to pay him 6-7 million a year, especially with a rising cap. The Bucs were willing to take on his 6.25 million this year. As I said, if he thinks that someone will pay him that money, he's not being selfish. If he renegotiated his contract, he would be guaranteeing himself less money. I' don't know if a team will pay him that kinda money in 2015 or 2016, and neither do you.

For the record, I really don't think the Pats should have paid tackle money to a guard in the first place, but I understand why they did.

If the Bucs acquired him figuring that they can get him to restructure next year, then they really didn't do their due diligence. I would assume that they know exactly what kind of guy and exactly how willing he is to renegotiate.

With two front office guys w/ TB that were with the Pats last year, they know (assuming) what LM is all about as a player and a businessman.

At the end of the day, I just think that TB was desperate for guard help, had a surplus at TE and Wright was the odd-man out and felt a 4th rounder was reasonable compensation for a 32 year-old lineman with a big cap number in 2014 that can be cut in 2015. I assume the cap hit will be a bit less there than what it was going to be here as they are not responsible for the signing bonus- only the salary.

I liked Seymour a lot. Hated the trade at the time that it was made, only came around to it in the last year or two.
There is a big difference in a first round draft pick and a fourth round draft pick in terms of compensation.

Mankins ultimately sealed his fate when he strong-armed the Pats into signing that bloated deal, that had ALOT of back end money that he couldn't nearly live up to. I can understand why both ends made the deal; Mankins - Evening up for out-playing his rookie deal, Pats - Keeping a very good player in the short-run (1-2 years) with hopes of restructuring the deal in later years once the (inevitable) decline begins. No doubt, he's not living up to the money he's making currently, and that's likely going to become more dramatic in the coming 1-3 years.

There really are only few choices for the team in that case. 1) Ask the player to restructure (which we did), 2) outright cut (which sucks for all involved), 3) trade him with a willing partner and TRY to maximize what you get out of it. From that aspect, I don't really fault either party here. It is what it is. Got decent (potential) value in Wright and a 4th, and saved a TON of cap space on an older player to hopefully use in resigning people that the organization wants to keep longer term (i.e. Revis, DMac).

It only sad for nostalgic reasons, but it's win/win for player and organization from a business sense.

Now that the shock has worn off, and had some time to think about it.. if he refused to renegotiate, time to bid adieu.. no one player is bigger than the team.

Wonder if Dante was consulted on this?? Just out of curiosity.

Now that the shock has worn off, and had some time to think about it.. if he refused to renegotiate, time to bid adieu.. no one player is bigger than the team.

Wonder if Dante was consulted on this?? Just out of curiosity.
I would be shocked if BB and Dante didn't have multiple discussions about the performance and worth of Mankins over the last few years.

There is a big difference in a first round draft pick and a fourth round draft pick in terms of compensation.

I'm not sure I follow this...Seymour and Mankins were both first-round picks.

I think he is referring to the picks received in trade.

I think he's talking about the draft pick received in the trade.

I think he is referring to the picks received in trade.

Thats how I read it.

At the same time…… we directly impacted an immediate position of need with this trade though (TE), rather then just having a "high value" poker chip to be used next year. We helped shore up a BIG hole in our current offense, plus got a "poker chip" for the future too. Some would say this deal is better then seymour…… at least for it's immediate impact. Saying NOTHING about the potential moves that may result from the free'd cap space.

If principle is so important to him, then why did he claim Kraft lied to him, then recant it when he gets his way. I think he may just be stubborn.

If you stand on principal when faced with a convincing pragmatic argument to the contrary, you pretty much are stubborn (or an ideologue, if you happen to be a politician).

In Mankins case, however, I can see not wanting to paly for less than $6M per year. He's set for life financially, and the real cost of another season of blows to the head is fairly substantial.

So much fail

Mankins looked at this as a business decision, much like the Pats did.

Don't blame Mankins at all. I support NFL players going after every dime they can b/c the teams will show no remorse cutting any player. That said I understand why the Pats did what they did. Was it a smart move? only time will tell

I do not think that if Logan Mankins called the Patriots in a contract to negotiate for more money they would have been receptive so why would Mankins be receptive to taking less money. I do not think he is worth his salary either, but I think he is worth closer to being worth his salary than our $4M per year #5 cornerback, and are $6M per year #3-#5 wide receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes