PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Bay / Manny stats comparison

Not sure where you see "improvement" the guy has been very consistent other than last year

My post was directly in response to a poster bringing up last year's down numbers, and his improvement from those this year.

There's nothing false in that statement at all.

As far as "his improvement worries me" I was being sarcastic of course.

I like Bay and agree with the fact that Manny was gone after this year anyway, its better to get someone for him than let him walk at the end of the year and get nothing.

I believe that the Red Sox control Bay for 2 years. (This year + 2009). So it's at least a 1.5 season rental. Bay may not be comparable to Manny in his PRIME, obviously. But Manny's 35 now. Bay is only 29 and still in his prime. If you compare their numbers over the past 3 years, they are very similar. Relax people, the end of the world is not here yet.

Bay's stats
http://www.baseball-reference.com/player_search.cgi?search=jason+bay

Manny's stats
http://www.baseball-reference.com/player_search.cgi?search=manny+ramirez

"Talk to me next year when the Sox have Jason Bay playing Left Field better than Manny at 13 million dollars less and can afford to go after some CC Sabathia."

He's gonna be better in left field with two bad knees huh?Have you listened to any of the experts today who said he is AT BEST a wash vs Manny defensively in left, not to mention he'll have to learn to play the wall like Ted, Yaz, Rice and Manny all did. Not to mention he has the same douchebag of an agent as Manny does, so guess what; he's a free agent after next year and will walk like all of the *******s clients do.

Sabathia? Not knowing about his knees? Not knowing he can walk after next year?

What color is your hat bigmouth?

Yeah I'm a "bigmouth" who has been called a "clown" and a "joke" by you. You who offers absolutely no substance to your pathetic rants. A "wash defensively in left?" Bay runs the bases and fields like he actually cares, that alone closes the small difference in their bats. Seeing as though you don't watch much baseball, what do you think happens when Manny is out at first after taking 6 seconds to jog there and then Papi homers behind him. That's right, the Sox lose runs and it happens all the time. The same goes for his clown act in left field.

My post was directly in response to a poster bringing up last year's down numbers, and his improvement from those this year.

There's nothing false in that statement at all.

As far as "his improvement worries me" I was being sarcastic of course.

My point was that he hasn't had some random improvement, he was injured last year and his AVG suffered. All of his other production remained impressive. Now he's back to being the very good batter he normally is. I didn't realize you were being sarcastic though, my bad.

What's wrong with Canadiens? Larry Walker was hellavu player. An all-star in Montreal and a superstar in Colorado. If we move Fenway to Mt. Washington this kid might hit 80 in those swirling 60-100 MPH winds!

Seriosly though I think you can bank on .290-30-105 #'s in the next few years. A suitable replacement for a malcontent. Manny's a better hitter than Bay will ever be but that doesn't mean we exchanged a Ferrari for a Mini-Van.

Maybe if we traded Manny straight up for Bya you could say that, but not only did the Sox have to throw in hansen and Moss, but they are paying Manny salary too.

They would have been better off, sending manny home, and still collecting the two sandwich picks next year.

We didn't trade a Ferrari for a mini van, we traded a Ferrari, a Jeep, and a Ford F150 for a Jetta and we are still making the payments on the Ferrari!

Last edited:
What's wrong with Canadiens? Larry Walker was hellavu player. An all-star in Montreal and a superstar in Colorado. If we move Fenway to Mt. Washington this kid might hit 80 in those swirling 60-100 MPH winds!

Seriosly though I think you can bank on .290-30-105 #'s in the next few years. A suitable replacement for a malcontent. Manny's a better hitter than Bay will ever be but that doesn't mean we exchanged a Ferrari for a Mini-Van.

Maybe if we traded Manny straight up for Bay you could say that, but not only did the Sox have to throw in Hansen and Moss, but they are paying Manny salary too.

They would have been better off, sending Manny home, and still collecting the two sandwich picks next year.

We didn't trade a Ferrari for a mini van, we traded a Ferrari, a Jeep, and a Ford F150 for a Jetta and we are still making the payments on the Ferrari!

The veterans got together and said, "Manny's got to go." The Sox did what they had to to make that happen, and got a much younger guy with comparable stats and a better glove to replace him.

Would someone please explain to me why the $7 million the Sox are picking up is being mentioned? Since when has money been an issue? Is there a salry cap that I don't know about?

Here's a easy on the eyes comparison...

Jason Bay - Left Fielder (from Pittsburgh Pirates)
2004 NL Rookie of the Year / 2 Time All-Star ('04, '06)

Ramirez: 36
Edge: Bay by 7 years

2008 Salary
Bay: $6 million
Ramirez: $20 million
Edge: Bay by $14 million

Batting Average
Bay: .282
Ramirez: .299
Edge: Ramirez by .017

Home Runs
Bay: 22
Ramirez: 20
Edge: Bay by 2 HRs

RBI's
Bay: 64
Ramirez: 68
Edge: Ramirez by 4 RBI's

On Base %
Bay: .375
Ramirez: .398
Edge: Ramirez by .023

Slugging %
Bay: .519
Ramirez: .529
Edge: Ramirez by .010

A more than suitable replacement for Ramirez, and a better fielder. Areas where Manny leads are by miniscule margins, while Bay played in a inferior lineup.

Thanks for the comparison - of course Manny has consistently proven to be a .300 hitter or so with consistent RBIs. Bay is having an all star year - but was off last year - and who knows moving forward.

But here's the situation:

1.) It was very doubtful they'd keep Manny beyond this year
2.) It remained to be seen how Manny would play for the remainder of the season - play well and be a good boy, working for the next contract, or continue the bad boy, taking plays off - who knows?
3.) The other players wanted Manny gone - so they really had no choice but to make a trade happen

So what do we have now as a result of the trade?

1.)A player who comes as close to replacing Manny in the lineup as one could hope to get right now
2.) A player who we have for next year (when Manny would be gone) at 1/3rd as much as Manny, again likely coming close to replacing his bat (and maybe Bay will be better in an improved lineup)
3.) Addition by subtraction - we've replaced his bat but gotten rid of the distraction, disruption, and lack of hard play that Manny was demonstrating.

What have we given up in addition?

1.) Two prospects who, while they might not have been expected to offer direct contributions, did have trade value, and might have been used either as part of a deal to acquire bullpen help this year - or as part of a package to shore up the batting order or pitching next year.

So while my preference would have been to have Manny behave and play hard, using prospects to acquire bullpen help THIS season and be packaged to improve the team next year as well - Manny's actions - and no one else's - created a situation where that was just not possible.

This isn't a blockbuster slam dunk winning trade for the Sox - but give the front office credit for doing their best in a bad situation.

Amen.

Bay has swung at 0 pitches and has already scored his first run as a member of the Boston Red Sox in his first offensive inning of play.

Feeling great already.

Last edited:
i'm glad jason bay seems to be fitting in boston rather nicely.

with that said, let's not kid ourselves as far as raw ability is concerned. manny ramirez is a first round hall of famer. his stats may be similar to bay's, but remember, manny gives half-effort. if manny tried, he'd be hitting .330. i for once, do not doubt that jason bay is trying.

all in all, i am glad to have jason bay aboard instead of manny.

Bay needs to be compared to the present Manny and not the past Manny. Sure number comparisons help but Manny is a 15 year veteran while Bay is in his 6th year. Manny probably will not put up greater numbers than his past and Bay has the chance to better his past numbers.

Even if Bay has stats that are say 80-9o% of Manny's averages ... his base running, hustle and left field play will close that gap to be an equal or better play than the present Manny.

The only unknown ... and it's a big unknown is how will Bay preform in the post-season. We can't say we know but his skill set ... aminly his super quick bat(hands) point to him being at least an average power hitter when October comes along. A fast bat cannot be taught ... most players with quick bats tend to preform well under pressure.

Bay needs to be compared to the present Manny and not the past Manny. Sure number comparisons help but Manny is a 15 year veteran while Bay is in his 6th year. Manny probably will not put up greater numbers than his past and Bay has the chance to better his past numbers.

Even if Bay has stats that are say 80-9o% of Manny's averages ... his base running, hustle and left field play will close that gap to be an equal or better play than the present Manny.

The only unknown ... and it's a big unknown is how will Bay preform in the post-season. We can't say we know but his skill set ... aminly his super quick bat(hands) point to him being at least an average power hitter when October comes along. A fast bat cannot be taught ... most players with quick bats tend to preform well under pressure.

perhaps the most important thing in comparing the two are the intangibles, which i think bay wins out easily. he's seems to be a great teammate, unlike a certain player from Washington Heights in Da Bronx.

perhaps the most important thing in comparing the two are the intangibles, which i think bay wins out easily. he's seems to be a great teammate, unlike a certain player from Washington Heights in Da Bronx.

No question ... Bay is the all-star in that area.

Manny is 4/5 today with a HR and 3 RBI and the game is not yet over.

How come we can't get players named Manny to play like that.:confused:

why coudnt he just have played out the year :(

He'll probably bust his ass until the end of the year to score as big a contract as he can. Then next year we can all empathize with the poor bastards that were dumb enough to sign him.

He'll probably bust his ass until the end of the year to score as big a contract as he can. Then next year we can all empathize with the poor bastards that were dumb enough to sign him.

Yup!!!....

I have always been a Manny apoligist, and a (noth athletic) supporter of his. HOWEVER, between him not knowing which knee was actually hurting him, and watching him, actually run down to first base on a ground ball in LA, I am absolutely done with him (I still think that the trade is putrid).

Manny quit on his teammates, and that is putrid!

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back