Welcome to PatsFans.com

Jason Avant Compared To David Givens / R.Wayne

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by IcyPatriot, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +550 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Grades out as a possible end of 2nd round selection.​

Jason Avant
    WR | (6'0[​IMG]", 212, 4.52) | MICHIGAN

Seems intriguing...seems like a reach for Belichick to take at #52 but If he slips to rd 3 and we havn't selected a WR perhaps he is the one. Has the most measurable quality for Belichick...great hands. I think a QB like Brady who is a great/hard short thrower could make a player like Avant rise a notch making him better. Sure hands and a QB who throws an extremely catchable ball are a great combo.

If Belichick goes RB / LB / Avant .... or ....LB / RB / Avant
    Would you be happy with that...hypothetically of course?
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  2. stinkypete

stinkypete Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

Avant ran a very slow 40 time at the pro day workout and his stock will likely drop a little. I think that, with a couple years experience under his belt, Avant compares favorably to Givens, but isn't the player that Wayne is.
  3. drew4008

drew4008 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He should go Late Day 1, or even as low as Round 4 or 5 now after running 4.80 at his Pro Day. But I do like him as well and hope he falls to us at whatever pick we're willing to take him.
  4. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I'm convinced he was running hurt at his pro day. If he's there in round four, that would be a steal.
  5. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

Why do you think he was hurt during his proday????
  6. Feep_FLA

Feep_FLA Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The only RB we would take at 21 would be Bush. We are NOT taking a RB in round 1......No way, no how. Where's the value? Not only that but I doubt we take a RB on day 1. Listen closely. This is a premium defensive draft! :rocker:
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I thought Avant looked really good at the combine running the drills but, oh, those 40 times :eek: One thing's for sure, we'll be able to draft a big, relatively slow WR to replace Givens this year as there's a lot of them. Which one(s) will turn into starters, who knows. Avant, Baskett and Stovall are the ones who have grabbed my attention the most so far.
  8. ayjackson

ayjackson Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

if all the teams treat the draft as a premium defensive draft, then all the value picks will come on offence
  9. mcbee

mcbee Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Baskett and STovall should be about as fast as Givens. He wasn't anything special (Givens) IMO. He was physical though.

I don't know how fast Avant is. 4.80 doesn't sound right from what I've heard, but that's what he ran. Supposedly had a cast on his hand.
  10. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Avant went a long way to helping a 1st and 2nd year QB look credible the past two years. . .I like him a lot, but I'm biased.
  11. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

He would be a good player. He'll run better when he gets the cast off and rescheduled another small workout to run when healthy. Hes got good charcter and a smart player(Bills getting attracted)

Another guy i'll throw in is Derek Hagan. Very productive at AZ. Has good hand although questioned at Senior Bowl. Hes reliable for most part and i would us to get a look at him
  12. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

Hagan's caught quite a few balls at Arizona, but he dropped quite a bit also. Even if he ran a 4.3, those hands (or lack thereof) would scare me.
  13. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +138 / 10 / -8

Mike Hass is no speed demon but he is faster than Avant. There is no one in the draft who gets open like Hass and no one comes close to his body control and hands.

If he ran sub 4.5 he'd be a first round pick, but bercause he is a 4.6 "possesion receiver " he will be available in the third. A major major bargain. Think Fred Biletnikoff, Wayne Chrebet, or thje Seatlle receiver who used to catch a zillion balls each year...

As Belichick says give me football players, not track athletes.
  14. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Well said, I'd be content with Steve Largent-like WR in the rotation. ;)
  15. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +138 / 10 / -8

Danke Schoen. Steve Largent was indeed the name that I couldn't recall...

All to make the point that Hass knows how to go up, use his body to shield the catch, and fight for the ball, just like Randy Moss who is the best I ever saw in that maneuver. Of course he is not a big or as fast though, but same idea. He has the production that BB also talks about too. He caught lots of passes in college and won his namesake the Fred Biletnikoff award as the best collegiate receiver.

Take Hass in the third round late...
  16. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

That would be too late as I read things, I don't know how my final board/draft targets will look, but I'll be looking hard at him with #52.
  17. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +550 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

The trait I liked best was his blocking skills. Belichick will put the finishing touches on his more mobile line that has just about perfected the art of the screen pass.

A receiver that could enhance the screens with their downfiled blocking could be the extra skill that gets them selected by Belichick.

As a unit...we might have the best blocking offense since Belichick came here.
  18. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Because his previous 40 time was 4.52, and then did a 4.8 at his pro-day. If he stumbled or something, he would have run it again, but by accepting a 4.8, it seems logical that something was hurting, and he figured that was as good as it was going to get that day.

I'm a tall, lanky, white guy that nobody would ever label "graceful" or "co-ordinated", but when I was that age, I used to break 4.7 routinely. I have a hard time believing that Avant is slower than I was.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  19. Feep_FLA

Feep_FLA Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I like Avant as a pick but who the heck is David Givens?!? :rocker:
  20. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

The difference between a 4.52 and a 4.8 could be a million dollars or more. Hard to believe anyone capable of running a 4.52 would accept a 4.8.
    If Avant does indeed run in teh 4.5 range, I think he just got very appealing to a lot of teams. That could boost him from the undrafted ranks (4.8) to the third or even the second round (considering the great intangibles.)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.