Welcome to PatsFans.com

Japan considers strike against N. Korea

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Jul 10, 2006.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060710...s 240,000-strong Self-Defense Forces.[/quote]
  2. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Meantime with no negotiations, korea keeps processing plutonium for itself or others.
  3. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Well PDRK has boycotted the talks. The only reason anyone pays attention to Kim is his nukes.

How do you think we should proceed?
  4. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You have a one on one talk, or stall and he keeps processing.
    Or you have a nuclear war.
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

We should have continued what Clinton was doing, carrot and stick diplomacy. We need to talk tough, but work toward a peaceful resolution. I don't think Bush's cowboy tactics will work any better in North Korea than they did in Iraq. I also think Japan is bluffing; if they demonstrate too much military prowess, it's going to significantly complicate their complicated relations with China.
  6. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He's not BOYCOTTED all talks, he requested talks with the U.S. which bush said no, as I said ,plutonium processing continues. Is that diplomacy?
  7. Mainefan

Mainefan Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Let's just hope Japan plays it cool. An attack on North Korea would be met with a North Korean attack on South Korea and we would be instantly--and militarily--involved.

What then? Would we attack Pyongyang? North Korea's nuclear sites? What would China do? How about Russia? Would we see a replay of the Korean war? Where would we get the troops to fight it? Iraq?

Isn't it a wonderful time to be alive?
  8. Mainefan

Mainefan Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I'm sure that Condi Rice, if not Bush, is talking to the Japanese right now and telling them not to act.

Much as I wish George Bush were not President, NEM, it seems a bit excessive to me to blame him for all things bad.

After all, Kim Jong Il deserves some of the blame, no?
  9. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +89 / 7 / -13

#37 Jersey

No it was your boy Willy ****sucker who created this situation that it is at now, you don't think any of that nuclear **** he gave to China didn't make its way to North Korea?

I swear than man is the fa king anti-Christ, how bad he screwed us up that we have to deal with now. And these partisan morons like NEM, are to dumb to open their eyes to see what happened from having that POS president for 8 years.

Now this idiot wants us to sit down and negotiate with KJI, how dumb is that, lets appease them. Oh wait we did that with middle east terrorists , and it came back to bite us in the a$s, with 9/11.

Maybe when people are dead in Japan or Alaska from a nuclear warhead that we probably gave the technology for, you will wake up, probably not still screaming your theroies and see what stick, but just like now it will be ALL CRAP.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  10. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What is your suggestion to alleviate the problem now?
  11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

I have been wondering about this. The PDRK is totally dependent on the Chinese for their food and oil. The Chicoms want the PDRK to stay in business for 3 reasons. They want a buffer between themselves and SK, thye like Kim annoying the US and and using or resources, they are concerned that if the PDRK collapses they will be flooded with refugees (think about that for a minute someone fleeing into a communist country! says a lot about the PDRK:eek: )

The Chinese want to be the dominant regional power. They don't want the Japenese to get nukes (they certainly have the technology to do that very quickly). Kim could reach Japan with a nuke a long time before us.

We may be witnessing a bit of Kibuki show to leverage the Chinese to lean on Kim to keeps the Japanese from going nuclear.
  12. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Your advocating letting this process playout as it has been going on since bush publicly confronted nk in 03, and hope for the chinese to step on kim jungs shoes. Not being sarcastic, just asking.
  13. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I find it silly of one always blaming Clinton for everything..to me, you are saying your Prez has little power and infliuence and his 6 years in power means little... since it's ALWAYS Clinton that did things..and he hasn't been President for 2000 days...I don't think so...What has Bush done with Korea the past 6 years in office?? Doesn't seem like he did much..until it's now gotten way out of hand. Why do u blame Clinton when Bush has been in power 6 years?? That is simply silly...If your boy can't clean up what you say Clinton did in 6 years..he's pretty ineffective...and powerless...doesn't make much sense.
  14. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Until they can credit Bush with something they'll keep blaming Clinton. Of course, Clinton kept us safe for 8 years, gave us a booming economy, and won America admirers all around the world. Bush has given us nothing, but maybe that's what the righties like: they've always favored small government. I on the other hand think they simply do not want to take responsibility for the failures of their beliefs. I can understand that. Whe the hell would want to admit they have a philosophy that led to 6,000 dead Americans, many more wounded, a messed up economy, up to two new nuclear powers, and so on. If Clinton had done that, I'd probably have blamed Bush I and Reagan.
  15. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

No UN Vote today..put off by US and Japan

Not sure exactly what they are doing by putting the vote off...I think all in the US should be worried as the Bush folk have little expereince in real diplomacy...if one calls what they said was "diplomacy" before the Iraq war, I think the situation will only get worse...Maybe' I' m pessimistic, but so far there have been few diplomatic triumphs at all...
  16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +796 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

I think it just boils down to Clinton and others before him trusted the FBI and CIA too much. So we have that corrected it appears now we just need a new leader. The fingerpointing...it's human nature...just reading the sports forum of any team after a loss shows that.
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Yeah, I think this is the way to go currently. Clinton tried to play ball with Kim and it didn't work out. I am not pointing at Clinton about this. I was a reasonable approach and consistent with his foreign policy approach.

Since that didn't work something else is needed giving Kim what he wants when he does his sabre rattling only encourges his to try more extortion to prop up his regieme.

Extortion is his way of doing business. It isn't helpful to reward him for extorsion.
  18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

And Chamberlin gave Britian 9 years of 'peace' in the 1930's. Appeasement is the road to war.
  19. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

20. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Come on, Patters... you're too smart to honestly believe all that. The internet bubble of the 90's gave us a booming economy. Now unless you want to claim Al Gore invented the internet, you really can't give the Clinton Adminstration any serious credit other than being smart enough to step aside and go along for the ride. Of course, they had to turn a blind eye to all the corporate corruption going on during that time period, but I digress...

There was a correction which began in 2000 when the bubble burst and lasted until 2002/3 and now the economy is very strong again.

I am willing to give credit where it's due and blame where it's due, and it is stupid to give Bush 100% of the blame for the current situation on the Korean Peninsula. Every President since Ike has helped shape the way things are over there.