PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jamie Collins vs the Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marinlik

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I thought Jamie Collins had a really good game against the chargers and showed a new level of play in both the run and pass game. He read plays faster than I've seen him do before, which allowed him to really utilize his speed. I've seen some people say that he is a bust because he is nothing more than a sub-linebacker(which is a weird critisism when sub is the most used package). But he's more than just a pass defender. He can bring it to the run defense too. I decided to write an article and show some of the good plays that he did in the game. Hope you enjoy it.

http://marinlik.wordpress.com/2014/12/09/collins-steps-up-to-the-challenge/

Nice thanks

Jamie's play has improved pretty much each and every week (though he has had hiccups). I think we've barely scratched the surface with this kid. There is just so much raw talent still and he's going to be an f-ing beast once he learns the game and if he stays relatively healthy throughout his career. He and Hightower are emerging stars in this league. It sucks that Mayo may end up being the odd man out at some point, as the other two are proving they are up to the task without him and the D really hasn't struggled as much as a lot of us somewhat anticipated.

Collins can do every single thing on a football field for a player playing his position. He still has weaknesses in his game, for instance getting off blocks, but like I said earlier, you can see the steady improvements in his game. If health holds up, then I truly believe (Ron Jaworski voice) that Collins will be the next big thing at LB. The kid is just too talented not to become something special. I just want to add that his ability to blitz up the middle may not be rivaled by anyone else in football. He's just so damn good at it.

Jamie's play has improved pretty much each and every week (though he has had hiccups). I think we've barely scratched the surface with this kid. There is just so much raw talent still and he's going to be an f-ing beast once he learns the game and if he stays relatively healthy throughout his career. He and Hightower are emerging stars in this league. It sucks that Mayo may end up being the odd man out at some point, as the other two are proving they are up to the task without him and the D really hasn't struggled as much as a lot of us somewhat anticipated.

Collins can do every single thing on a football field for a player playing his position. He still has weaknesses in his game, for instance getting off blocks, but like I said earlier, you can see the steady improvements in his game. If health holds up, then I truly believe (Ron Jaworski voice) that Collins will be the next big thing at LB. The kid is just too talented not to become something special. I just want to add that his ability to blitz up the middle may not be rivaled by anyone else in football. He's just so damn good at it.
I agree with you. I'm very intrigued by Collins future because he has shown that he isn't just an athletic freak that relies purely on that athleticism. He has shown that he can make plays by playing smart and making correct reads. Something that usually seperates those athletic freaks who busts and those who succeed.

He's turning into the player most of us thought he had the potential to be.

He's turning into the player most of us thought he had the potential to be.
Agree. But every very athletic player there are always a bunch of busts(JaMarcus Russell for example). I'm really happy we seem to have caught on of the athletic freaks that can actually smart and not just just their athleticism.

Just imagine if we had taken Lavonte David in 2012 as well. The linebacking core would be absolutely monstrous.

Just imagine if we had taken Lavonte David in 2012 as well. The linebacking core would be absolutely monstrous.
Hightower, Collins and Mayo is monstrous. Hightower, Collins, Ayers and Casillas appears to be pretty darn good.

For the injuries, people forget just how good Jerod Mayo has been under trying circumstances for the Patriots. He's a hell of a player and it irks me that we don't get to see it with the continued development of Hightower, Collins and the additions of Casillas and Ayers.

Hightower, Collins and Mayo is monstrous. Hightower, Collins, Ayers and Casillas appears to be pretty darn good.

For the injuries, people forget just how good Jerod Mayo has been under trying circumstances for the Patriots. He's a hell of a player and it irks me that we don't get to see it with the continued development of Hightower, Collins and the additions of Casillas and Ayers.

HT and Collins are playing so well right now that I fear Mayo may have been Wally Pipped. Of course, that's different in football when guys are rotated and used in various roles, but I would definitely choose to have the young'ns in sub, which is nearly 2/3 of the time.

HT and Collins are playin g so well right now that I fear Mayo may have been Wally Pipped. Of course, that's different in football when guys are rotated and used in various roles, but I would definitely choose to have the young'ns in sub, which is nearly 2/3 of the time.
With the 4-2 being our main defense I think Mayo needs to take a paycut. I think Hightower has surpassed Mayo in Hightowers huge 3rd year leap and Collins is a very athletic and fast linebacker who is improving weekly in his second year. I love Mayo now and I always will. But two seasons where he has missed the majority of the games and where Hightower and Collins has shined doesn't exactly make me want to pay him top dollar. But with that said. I'd still love to have him on the team, I mean if he can play like he did at the beginning of this season he is a great back up, and he allows us flexibility in moving Hightower and Collins around, up to the line and whatnot, without lossing good LB play in the middle.

I am confused. I thought Collins was the slowest LB in the NFL and huge draft bust because the Pats took Tavon Wilson in 2012. What happened to that guy? And where is the slow bust that the Pats drafted?

I am confused. I thought Collins was the slowest LB in the NFL and huge draft bust because the Pats took Tavon Wilson in 2012. What happened to that guy? And where is the slow bust that the Pats drafted?
Well. Maybe both Collins and Hightower has been abducted by aliens and replaced with alien replicas that happened to be much better physical specimens. Because as we all know, player can not improve on our team. :rolleyes:

I wasn't talking about you. There was a troll who was on game threads early in the season (iampatsfan) who blasted Collins for being the slowest LB in the NFL. And there was a certain contrarian who will go unnamed who claimed Collins was a bust and could never not be a bust because the Pats drafted Tavon Wilson the year before.

I wasn't talking about you. There was a troll who was on game threads early in the season (iampatsfan) who blasted Collins for being the slowest LB in the NFL. And there was a certain contrarian who will go unnamed who claimed Collins was a bust and could never not be a bust because the Pats drafted Tavon Wilson the year before.

Some film breakdown from BB, including Collins' 2nd sack and Ayers' interception:

http://www.patriots.com/media-cente...an-Diego/713130be-4d0a-452b-b9cd-9c1b28d09900

BB calls Collins "quick and athletic". Apparently he didn't read the memo, either.

Tavon Wilson's pick six in garbage time vs the Ravens justified his pick in my book. So our 2nd round draft picks last few years aren't looking too bad aside from Dobson.

Spikes was the slowest. Powww!!

Collins is a great athlete he brings a lot to the team, however I feel his tackling is a big let down and his taking on blocks so it may be a physicality thing. That is something that he can improve on though as well as getting away with it by simply being able to read the game well, this allows him to get to the spot faster stuff like using the RB out of bounds I'd much prefer to see him wrap up and take the RB down. Hit with the shoulder at that speed not just push a guy. It seems like I'm getting on his case but I really like Collins it's the only gripe I have with him though.

It is pretty funny how quickly people write off players, Fans here were writing off Collins 6 games into the season last year. Damn Collins looks like a great player though, he was so much fun to watch last sunday and if we can keep Mayo then that LB corps is going to be fearsome for awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back