PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jamie Collins is a Pro-Bowler

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if 4 mill is the difference between Mccourty or Sergio Brown type of player you get the idea.

Chris don't remind about those Sergio Brown types...and the Colts wonder why their Defense is so bad yikes!

There's plenty of room for all three on the roster. In base you're happy to play all three in the usual way. In sub you're happy to include Hightower in part of the edge-rushing rotation. And as soon as one gets injured, you're definitely grateful to have the other two available.

And by the way, Rob Ninkovich will be 31 years old when he takes the field for this year's Super Bowl. :D

This. If we cut Mayo and then had either Hightower or Collins go down for the season then there would be a great gnashing of teeth. Having all three gives us so many more options in terms of pressuring the QB, as we saw at the start of the year. I would look to find economies in other areas before dumping Mayo. And having Mayo on the team frees up Collins and especially Hightower to pressure the QB, and personally, I think Hightower is arguably the best pass rusher on the team...and that includes Chandler Jones.

I definitely don't see NE parting with Mayo any time soon, but I do wonder if they will approach him about restructuring. Two straight seasons of IR, especially so early in the season, can't be a good thing no matter how much they love him (and I LOVE HIM TOO). We've got Revis, McCourty, Wilfork, Vereen, and even Ridley (still a chance he stays) on deck for contracts after this season. It's hard for me to think that NE wouldn't at least entertain the thought of asking him to restructure, perhaps put some of the money into incentives and games played.

Collins and Hightower have both been doing a good job blitzing the A-gap over the past 4-5 games. I like that tandem a lot, it is like have 2 DEs with LB talent playing off the line.

This. If we cut Mayo and then had either Hightower or Collins go down for the season then there would be a great gnashing of teeth. Having all three gives us so many more options in terms of pressuring the QB, as we saw at the start of the year. I would look to find economies in other areas before dumping Mayo. And having Mayo on the team frees up Collins and especially Hightower to pressure the QB, and personally, I think Hightower is arguably the best pass rusher on the team...and that includes Chandler Jones.
I think long term Hightower moves into a role similar to Rob Ninkovich, where he is a DE/OLB combo. Coming out of college I likened him to Ahmad Brooks, and I still feel he fits best in that type of role.

I think long term Hightower moves into a role similar to Rob Ninkovich, where he is a DE/OLB combo. Coming out of college I likened him to Ahmad Brooks, and I still feel he fits best in that type of role.

Zoisking pointed out yesterday that we are using Hightower almost exactly as we did when he was at Alabama (or at least we were when Mayo was fit) and I think this is spot on. MLB on most downs and an edge blitzer on passing downs. I don't think he'll be tied down to one role but will be used at both MLB and on the Edge as the down and defensive scheme requires. I think BB likes having that versatility.

I definitely don't see NE parting with Mayo any time soon, but I do wonder if they will approach him about restructuring. Two straight seasons of IR, especially so early in the season, can't be a good thing no matter how much they love him (and I LOVE HIM TOO). We've got Revis, McCourty, Wilfork, Vereen, and even Ridley (still a chance he stays) on deck for contracts after this season. It's hard for me to think that NE wouldn't at least entertain the thought of asking him to restructure, perhaps put some of the money into incentives and games played.
I would think Bill and Caserio have discussed this at length, and I'm sure Jerod has to know that's coming. I don't see him playing hardball considering the circumstances and Bill's obvious affection for him. With the way we've been using NLTBE's this year I could see an incentive layden restructure happening.

This is a good point because that is precisely how he was being used at the start of the season. The injuries changed the landscape and forced him to kick back inside, where he has been exactly what the Pats have needed. It's amazing how comfortable he seems in the role now compared to the 'deer in headlights' when he had to assume the position when Mayo went down last season. He knows what he's doing now. Nonetheless, he was in the backfield often early on and I wish we could have continued to watch his development on the edge. I think he would have had double-digit sacks and tons more QB pressures and hurries coming off the edge this season.

No doubt Collins is getting a better feel for how to play this game. Equally important, I think the staff is realizing how best to use his unique skillset. Coupled with Hightower's continued excellent play, this is VERY exciting to see. Shame Mayo wasn't also around. Oh my!

This cant be right since Deus himself told me Collins is not even starter caliber.

Not to worry, Deus has already said Collins is a bust even if he makes the Pro Bowl because the Pats took Tavon Wilson the year before (Yeah, I still trying to figure out that logic too).

It was not as if Mayo was ineffective when he was out there, he was playing at an all pro level. I see no reason to move on from him. His presences frees up Hightower and Collins to use their talents in different ways.

Tedy Bruschi on Hightower and Collins, from today's chat:

Jesse (Cape Cod): Hey Bru, As a linebacker you obviously have to love what you are seeing from Hightower and Collins, for being such young players are you surprised at the level they are playing at? and where do you rank them in the NFL?

Tedy: I took a moment last night to reflect on what these guys are doing. It's not just the production they have, but the multiplicity of their games. They're doing everything you'd want from a linebacker -- stopping the run, rushing the passer, and getting it done in the coverage aspect of it. What's impressive is that I don't see them as true linebackers the way they are using them. They are both hybrid players. Hybrid players is what Bill Belichick does best with. When I say multiplicity, they can rush the passer from inside or outside on the line of scrimmage; they can beat linemen, running backs and tight ends. Pre-snap, they're starting to get comfortable with their disguise. So mentally, it seems to me they are taking their game to another level, knowing this system inside and out. Very similar to the way Vrabel and I used to play games on the line against opposing blocking schemes and protections and then laugh about it when we got to the sideline.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/51357

If Collins played the first 8 games the way he played the past 2 I would absolutely push for him to be in the probowl. He was fairly invisible for that stretch though. However that was then and this is now. Recently he has played at or near a probowl level. Hopefully he can keep it up. Right now he is playing up to my hopes for him at the start of the season.

I think he will be a probowler next year as by then he will probably be too savvy to have the slow start he had this year. It was all a matter of his on field awareness catching up to his physical ability I think.

There is no doubt that Mayo makes the base much, much better by being in the middle. But given the predominance of sub, Mayo's cap hit, and the development of Collins and Hightower, it's a big question mark how to deal with things.
Hightower is being forced to not be used in the best role for him because Mayo is out.
We would likely be playing as much 335 nickel as 425 nickel now if Mayo were healthy.

So Mayo is damaged goods and is going to get cut just like Wilfork was?

mayo has not played in 4 weeks and he is still 2th on the team in tackles he is not getting cut, but it is nice to see Hightower and Collins give the pats good consistent LB play from someone other then Mayo for the first time in over 5 years. are they playing at a Pro Bowl level no but they have been good

Hightower is being forced to not be used in the best role for him because Mayo is out.
We would likely be playing as much 335 nickel as 425 nickel now if Mayo were healthy.

In the 3-3-5, wonder if BB would use Jamie Collins off the edge at times? Not to replace Ninko. But, to give him a blow. Didn't Ninko have a game or two early where his snaps were really down? The more players you can rotate the better. Keeps em fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes