PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jamie Collins 5th overall draft pick in ESPN's 2013 re-draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I guess they did a re-draft of the top 10 picks of 2013 draft on NFL Live on ESPN. They put Jamie Collins #5 on the list. Funny how people killed Belichick for trading away the chance to draft Cordarrelle Patterson for the draft picks that turned into Collins and several other players.

BTW, they didn't show the entire redraft on the show, but I hear they had Patterson as the 22nd pick of the 5th round.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england...947/jamie-collins-rates-highly-in-13-re-draft

I think it's funny that despite the continued devaluation of individual running backs by most NFL teams, ESPN still puts two running backs in the top four of their redraft.

I think it's funny that despite the continued devaluation of individual running backs by most NFL teams, ESPN still puts two running backs in the top four of their redraft.

Personally, I think they have Lacy too high. He is very good RB, but I don't think was the fourth best player from that draft. He would still be in the top 10 in terms of talent, but not 4.

I think ESPN used their criteria based soley on talent and not how the league values positions. I don't think Travis Frederick would be in the top 10 either based on how teams value positions. I don't see a team drafting a center in the top 10 even if he was the best center come out of the draft in a long while.

Personally, I think they have Lacy too high. He is very good RB, but I don't think was the fourth best player from that draft. He would still be in the top 10 in terms of talent, but not 4.

I think ESPN used their criteria based soley on talent and not how the league values positions. I don't think Travis Frederick would be in the top 10 either based on how teams value positions. I don't see a team drafting a center in the top 10 even if he was the best center come out of the draft in a long while.
Almost pointless appraising draft picks at the conclusion of the draft isn't it? We rarely glimpse their true potential inside 2 seasons.

Like with most things involving ESPN, the end result of their little exercise is more than a little suspect.

Richardson and Ansuh deserve their high ranking because of their ability and position. High end DT's are just too hard to find. Bell might just be the best RB in the league right now and he does make a big impact on the Steeler offense. However outside of those 3 and Collins there are really some shaky picks among the top 10.

Lacy is a "good RB" but so are a number of other guys like Blount in Ridley pre-injury. Alanso has to be suspect since he's only had one year in the league, a good year, but just one. Vaccarro is the one I really don't understand. How do you select a guy in the top 10 who got benched last season playing on a very bad defense. It looks to me that Vaccarro is a decent young SS in a league that is the process of devaluing SS's. Certainly not a top 10 player. Hopkins looks like a he's developing into a nice #1 WR, but NO WR is ever worth a top 10 pick IMHO. The offensive linemen are both good, but that is such a subjective position to judge

So to sum it up, ESPN gets the advantage of perfect 20-20 hindsight and STILL only manages to hit on 4 out of 10. :rolleyes: Why am I not surprised. ;)

I was never one of those people. I was adamant that we needed multiple things at the conclusion of that 2012 season:

1. More size at WR.
2. Another pass rusher.
3. A starting-caliber C.
4. A coverage LB.
5. A starting SS.

2 and 4 could have been a hybrid. Three years later and the team has added 1, 2, 3, and 4. I suspect that they've probably resigned themselves to Tavon as a special teams guy and are still looking to see what they have in Harmon. But, with Revis gone, Chung's snaps will probably decrease since he's not what you want at all as a deep safety and I highly doubt the team will be playing as much Cover-1 as they did in 2014. Matt Elam was my binky in that draft but I wasn't dissatisfied at all with the Collins pick and even defended it.

I would say that most coaches would take Collins over Lacy and Bell.

collins should be top 3. the dude is a keystone for this defense moving forward.

But just remember he will always be a bad draft pick because the Pats took Tavon Wilson the year before.

I think he has now backtracked and changed his tune to they could have got Swearinger with that pick and got Collins with the Dobson pick and then used the Ryan and Boyce picks to trade up for Keenan Allen and then use the Harmon pick on Kenny Stills

But Cordarrelle Patterson was available.

Another screaming example of how fans overrate their ability to forecast the WR position coming out of college. Methinks most fans believe the position is simpler than it is and can project a star based on obvious measureables.

But Cordarrelle Patterson was available.

Another screaming example of how fans overrate their ability to forecast the WR position coming out of college. Methinks most fans believe the position is simpler than it is and can project a star based on obvious measureables.

Personally, I never got the love for Patterson. All talent, no brains. We see guys like this flame out every year. I think we learned our mistakes with Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson. If Patterson is struggling with the Viking's playbook as reported, he would never learn the Patriots' playbook.

Must be a slow day for Pats news....

Almost pointless appraising draft picks at the conclusion of the draft isn't it? We rarely glimpse their true potential inside 2 seasons.

One thing is for sure. Kiko Alonso is overrated. Wait a couple of seasons I'm sure "analysts" will see he's not as good as they thought he was.

The Jets are tampering with these re -draft . Jamie is the best athlete of these all no doubt. Eddie Lacy looks chubby.

The Jets are tampering with these re -draft . Jamie is the best athlete of these all no doubt. Eddie Lacy looks chubby.

I think the Jets would like to have their first, first round pick from that draft taken away rather than give up any picks even low ones this year for their fine for tampering with Revis. If they had a choice between giving the Pats Dee Miliner or their 4th round pick this year, they would give up Miliner.

I agree, although after a second look, it was kind of a poor draft. It ended up being a pretty weak draft in terms of stars. The #1 pick was Eric Fisher, and none of the top 10 guys turned into perennial Pro Bowlers. Ansah, who was considered a bit of a reach, is the only really good player in the top 10.

The one guy who should have moved up into the top 5 would be Hopkins. He's the top WR of the class and had a 1,000 yard season with a terrible QB rotation. Other than that, not sure who else to move ahead of the running backs. Maybe move up Frederick, Eric Reid? Lotulelei? Kyle Long?

Must be a slow day for Pats news....

Actually there is far more validity looking back at how draft picks work out than any of the analysis of them before they even play a down in the pro's. Especially when there were a good number of poster's here who slammed the trade and pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back