PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James White deserves a TON of credit

Status
Not open for further replies.
4th down bump. Well done kid, well done.

too bad he's bad at pylons

It's alright, I'm happy White is getting some playing time while Lewis is in there. This way it saves them both for the playoffs.

Speaking of James White, I just caught these stats on our RBs from Jeff Howe's feed:

"Aside from the Patriots’ collection of receivers, Blount (869 yards, 12 touchdowns) is having a career year, and White is on pace for 62 catches for 545 yards, which would make him the Patriots’ most productive pass-catching back of the Brady era. And Lewis is as explosive as anyone they’ve got."

Not bad for a third year man!

There are many people on here who have gone so far as to want White cut. But when you look at the following, you really have to sit and be amazed:

330 of 353 receiving yards have come AFTER the CATCH.. That is 93% of his receiving yards are YAC..

Just think on that for awhile..

330 of 353 after the catch......doesn't that just mean he catches the ball at or behind the line of scrimmage? Isn't that to be expected of an RB?

Trust me, I like White too, I guess I'm just not as impressed by that as you are.

It's almost like if he did catch a long bomb 50 yards down the field you would be disappointed by that because it would ruin this stat.

330 of 353 after the catch......doesn't that just mean he catches the ball at or behind the line of scrimmage? Isn't that to be expected of an RB?

Trust me, I like White too, I guess I'm just not as impressed by that as you are.

It's almost like if he did catch a long bomb 50 yards down the field you would be disappointed by that because it would ruin this stat.

I'm dumbstruck by your statements. As a veteran poster, you should know what YAC and that it has nothing to do with where he catches the ball. And your statement about a 50 yard bomb is just silly..

I'm dumbstruck by your statements. As a veteran poster, you should know what YAC and that it has nothing to do with where he catches the ball. And your statement about a 50 yard bomb is just silly..
YAC, in and of itself, may not have anything to do with where you catch it but if, as the poster says, he is making most or all of his catches at or behind the line of scrimmage, then all the yardage he gains is YAC, making this stat that you find so impressive, less impressive.

Let me explain and/or clarify....

Perhaps I misinterpreted, but based on the stat being thrown out there that 330 of 358 yard were YAC I figured you were impressed by that percentage. While the point of the catch doesn't matter for YAC in general the point of the catch makes the world of difference for YAC percentage of overall receiving yards. As the poster above articulated better than I, if you always catch passes at or behind the line of scrimmage al of the yards will be YAC regardless if you succeed with constant 12 yard gains or have mediocre 1 yard gains.

Of course 50 yard bombs would be silly to be disappointed with. I just threw that in there to show that they can lower your YAC percentage even though a good thing happened. For instance, the 330 for 358 turns into 330 yac for 408 rec yards.

If you were focused so much on the percentage but more or less just his overall productivity and not his YAC percentage then you can disregard the response above.

While we are talking about YAC percentage, however, I suppose his high percentage does sort of highlight his lack for catching the ball downfield (an aspect that Shane Vereen had). Obviously he's doing well at 4th in the league in RB receiving so its an aspect the Pats haven't needed. While I didn't know his YAC % before this thread I'm not surprised just based on how often he gets the ball at (or around) the line of scrimmage.

Last edited:
Numbers prove that James White is one of the best RBs in the League

I expect a big game from Sweet Feet

There are many people on here who have gone so far as to want White cut. But when you look at the following, you really have to sit and be amazed:

330 of 353 receiving yards have come AFTER the CATCH.. That is 93% of his receiving yards are YAC..

Just think on that for awhile..

He's Wild Panther to me from now on!

I remember now when i posted White was better than Vereen and got flamed for it.

Right now he is better than Vereen ever was here. Vereen can run the outside vertical route better but that is it. Give me White any day. Also I dislike how so many people on this board talk about White like he is just a stand in for Lewis. He really is so much more than that and one of the best 3rd down backs in the NFL in his own right.

I remember now when i posted White was better than Vereen and got flamed for it.

Right now he is better than Vereen ever was here. Vereen can run the outside vertical route better but that is it. Give me White any day. Also I dislike how so many people on this board talk about White like he is just a stand in for Lewis. He really is so much more than that and one of the best 3rd down backs in the NFL in his own right.

I did not flame you but if I read it I certainly did not accept it.
I now gladly accept that White > Vereen. High praise.
Wild Panther locks this up by making a super grab like "Ben"Vereen did against the Seadogs in this SB.

I feel like James White is the early version of Rob Ninkovich. So many hated him, someone even proclaimed he was the worst starter in the NFL. Then one day we all realized he was a damn good football player.

White is getting there.

YAC as a percentage of receiving yards absolutely has to do with where he catches the ball. If he's catching a significant percentage of around the LOS, that should cause the ratio to rise dramatically.

Basically, the biggest extrapolation you can take from that stat is that a) he gets a lot of yards after catch, and b) nobody's asking him to make plays like this:

New England Patriots running back Shane Vereen 50-yard catch

or like this:

Wk 7 Can't-Miss Play: Vereen 49-yard TD

It's impossible to get anywhere near 93% of receiving yards as YAC if you're making catches like that. Not a knock on White, he's doing what they're asking of him and he's doing it well. He doesn't have Vereen's versatility as a receiver, but that's fine. He's plenty effective being the player he is.

But there's another side to this coin, too: nobody should ever hold it against Vereen that he *did* make catches like that. His ratio was lower since he frequently lined up as a WR and ran WR routes, and by no reasonable standard should that ever be a knock on him.That's what the Pats asked him to do, and it's what he did.

They're both pass-catching backs, but they are a bit different in that respect. White is more of a traditional 3DRB, whereas Vereen was more of a RB/WR hybrid.

Think of it this way: if a WR catches 90% of his passes within 5 yards of the LOS, that doesn't mean he's better at catching quick passes than someone who 'only' catches 60% of passes in that range. It could mean that, or it could mean the other guy is more versatile, or it could mean the teams around them are different and therefore they're being asked to do different things.

Last edited:
Still happy to say I was a James White proponent going all the way back to last season when he emerged as our pass catching back post-Dion injury. It was clutch to have him instead of using Bolden and he was one of the few pieces holding together the passing game for TB12 when we were ravaged by injuries.

That's why I was astounded when there was chatter of him being on the bubble or getting cut. This season has only further enhanced my opinion of him.

Very reliable player.

Still happy to say I was a James White proponent going all the way back to last season when he emerged as our pass catching back post-Dion injury. It was clutch to have him instead of using Bolden and he was one of the few pieces holding together the passing game for TB12 when we were ravaged by injuries.

That's why I was astounded when there was chatter of him being on the bubble or getting cut. This season has only further enhanced my opinion of him.

Very reliable player.

Yes that does seem odd that people would have considered him on the bubble. After all, he seemed to get a lot of TDs late last year (post Dion).

the only thing lacking in Whites game is a cool nickname: "grease lightning" white! "withering white", or "jesse james" white etc

many people on this board talk about White like he is just a stand in for Lewis

White is all about acceleration after the catch. Lewis has some of that, but more escapability. Two different, complimentary skill sets that allow Brady to once again dictate matchups when they are both on the field.

White has also become a very serviceable blitz picker-upper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back