PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James White deserves a TON of credit

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There are many people on here who have gone so far as to want White cut. But when you look at the following, you really have to sit and be amazed:

330 of 353 receiving yards have come AFTER the CATCH.. That is 93% of his receiving yards are YAC..

Just think on that for awhile..

Once Lewis is back to a 100, our backfield will be a nightmare with Blount, Lewis, White, and top of that Gronk and Bennett, Edelman, Hogan, Amendola, the cherry on top which is Brady playing the best football of his career

There are many people on here who have gone so far as to want White cut. But when you look at the following, you really have to sit and be amazed:

330 of 353 receiving yards have come AFTER the CATCH.. That is 93% of his receiving yards are YAC..

While looking up the YAC for Patriots on another thread, I noticed an interesting fact, RB lead by a large margin YAC per reception over WR. One of the reasons given was that RB catch alot of screens. Ezekiel Elliott has a 12.7 YAC per reception while Antonio Brown has 3.3. It's interesting the difference between one of the best RB and one of the best WR.

Our Defensive philosophy vs. omg stats
The importance of sacks in the grand scheme of things.
James White
Devin McCourty
The importance of special teams play.

All things that I think this board tends to get really, really wrong.

Just don't ask him to run between the tackles.

qI5EaXY.jpg

Have fun defending this when Gronk is also out there.

qI5EaXY.jpg

Don't forget Mr Hogan also ;)

Let's not forget there can only be 11 guys in any given uniform out at once. That being said, I have no idea what our most dangerous personnel grouping could be when healthy. I think it's heavily situational, with only Gronk being a fit in any situation.

How's this for a "pick 4" (assuming Gronk and Brady are the other 2 non-OL) any given play?:

Blount, White, Lewis, Develin
Bennett
Edelman, Hogan

If I were to choose who got the least playing time of those 7, I'd be up all night trying to decide.

To narrow it down, let's say Blount and Develin are only really useful in run situations. Now you've got to leave 1 of White, Lewis, Bennett, Edelman, Hogan out. It can't really be Edelman or Hogan since we already covered run situations and you can't have less than 2 WRs if you're not at the goal line. So, who spends the most time on the bench? White, Lewis, or Bennett? (Only reason it could/should be Lewis is durability concerns)

This is one of them good problems.

Here's my thing with James White, DB, who has been a good receiver out of the backfield this year. I've said that much several times this season. But think about this. I believe if we had DA, or Edelman in the backfield getting JW's receptions the end result would be better. PLUS, I would rather hand the ball off to DA or Edelman than JW between the tackles. I'm sure they wouldn't be any worse.

That being said, Lewis kind of makes the whole issue moot since even this early in his recovery from the ACL, the difference between Lewis and White is palpable. BTW- I like the idea of having he duel threat of Lewis and White in the same backfield. But l'd like it even better if the guy beside Lewis was DA or Edelman. Think about it and tell me what you think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
Here's my think with James White, DB, who has been a good receiver out of the backfield this year. I've said that much several times this season. But think about this. I believe if we had DA, or Edelman in the backfield getting JW's receptions the end result would be better. PLUS, I would rather hand the ball off to DA or Edelman than JW between the tackles. I'm sure they wouldn't be any worse.

That being said, Lewis kind of makes the whole issue moot since even this early in his recovery from the ACL, the difference between Lewis and White is palpable. BTW- I like the idea of having he duel threat of Lewis and White in the same backfield. But l'd like it even better if the guy beside Lewis was DA or Edelman. Think about it and tell me what you think.

I think the biggest concern would be the tendency for Edelman to get lit up more often. I would be somewhat cautious about trying to limit his hits, but I think it would work nicely in situational or trick play sets.

I think the biggest concern would be the tendency for Edelman to get lit up more often. I would be somewhat cautious about trying to limit his hits, but I think it would work nicely in situational or trick play sets.
Oh of course. I wouldn't necessarily want him to play that position for all the reasons you point out. I'm just trying to point out White's limitations. Though having Edelman or DA in the backfield with either White or Lewis would create problems trying to find them if they do it every now and again.

White has done a fine job maximizing his talents. He deserves all the credit in the world for what he's accomplished. That doesn't mean I still don't think that DJ Foster has a lot more upside for the future as a more well rounded 3rd down back. White has done a great job filling in while Lewis got healthy and Foster learns the job.

White is the best 8th weapon for a team to have, although Mitchell might be coming after his post.

qI5EaXY.jpg

I was thinking the same when I watched the All22 of the TD pass to Mitchell.

Two high level TE that can both stay to block or release, two backside flexbacks that can also block pretty well and run between the tackles (Lewis more so than White) and Edelman/Dola as intermediate "quick" option. This formation could be a mismatch creating machine especially when they go no huddle.

They can do anything out of it depending on the look they get.

Oh of course. I wouldn't necessarily want him to play that position for all the reasons you point out. I'm just trying to point out White's limitations. Though having Edelman or DA in the backfield with either White or Lewis would create problems trying to find them if they do it every now and again.

White has done a fine job maximizing his talents. He deserves all the credit in the world for what he's accomplished. That doesn't mean I still don't think that DJ Foster has a lot more upside for the future as a more well rounded 3rd down back. White has done a great job filling in while Lewis got healthy and Foster learns the job.

I think putting Edelman/Dola in the backfield instead of White is just one of the different wrinkles/looks that a no huddle set of Gronk, Marty, Lewis, White, Edelman/Dola could give to exploit the defense.

You put White out wide and opponents still need to respect that because he is actually a good pass catcher. Then you are free to move Edelman or Dola in the backfield for a few snaps. Depending on the defensive look it seems like something McD would do in a no huddle/2min situation to force mismatches.

And to be honest this is what makes this offense so fun to watch. It is a chameleon. With Dallas you know exactly what you will get. They are doing an incredible job with their offense and have amazing players that make it hard to stop but you pretty much know what you have to do to slow them down. The only question is if you can execute consistently because of the amount of talent they have.

With our offense you have no clue what you will get. There are some staple plays but apart from that it's a game of "catch me if you can" between McD and the defensive coordinator of the opponents. Really looking forward to the games against Baltimore and Denver.

Last edited:
and think of how many people wanted him cut in preseason

No surprise, he is only on the field to catch passes on the line of scrimage

Here's my thing with James White, DB, who has been a good receiver out of the backfield this year. I've said that much several times this season. But think about this. I believe if we had DA, or Edelman in the backfield getting JW's receptions the end result would be better. PLUS, I would rather hand the ball off to DA or Edelman than JW between the tackles. I'm sure they wouldn't be any worse.

Most handoffs to Julian didn't end up well IIRC.
You should give more credit to White .. esp. in this thread ..
Here's one from White “between the tackles“:

Of course this is what works like a charm all year ..

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

_

I agree that w Lewis there it makes it even harder for D .. in this 3rd (and not long) down nightmare.
The Two Towers + Hogan/Mitchell round up an additional fright of a big play.

I was thinking the same when I watched the All22 of the TD pass to Mitchell.

Two high level TE that can both stay to block or release, two backside flexbacks that can also block pretty well and run between the tackles (Lewis more so than White) and Edelman/Dola as intermediate "quick" option. This formation could be a mismatch creating machine especially when they go no huddle.

They can do anything out of it depending on the look they get.

That's either no QB or 12 players. EDIT: I think you probably meant one of Edelman/Amendola. As I said in my big post above, I question the viability of trotting out just one WR but what do I know?

That's either no QB or 12 players. EDIT: I think you probably meant one of Edelman/Amendola. As I said in my big post above, I question the viability of trotting out just one WR but what do I know?

Yeah.. the slash was meant to symbolize one of the two.

Also, I wouldn't want to use this formation to often.. it all depends on the look the opponents are giving. Lewis with 2 WR and 2 TE is scary and flexible enough.

Huh?? Why would you want DA or Jules in the backfield?? These guys take enough of a pounding. James White has done a terrific job and should actually be utilized more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes