Welcome to PatsFans.com

James Webb gets testy with the Prez...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Nov 29, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

James Webb newly elected from Va.; a decorated Viet Nam Marine veteran with a son who is a Marine Lieutenant in Iraq, compare to GWB who was supposedly flying planes in Georgia and who daughters are reported to running naked in hotels in Buenos Aires while celebrating their 25th birthday, had an interesting exchange with George recently.

http://thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/UndertheDome/112906.html

President Bush has pledged to work with the new Democratic majorities in Congress, but he has already gotten off on the wrong foot with Jim Webb, whose surprise victory over Sen. George Allen (R-Va.) tipped the Senate to the Democrats.

Webb, a decorated former Marine officer, hammered Allen and Bush over the unpopular war in Iraq while wearing his son’s old combat boots on the campaign trail. It seems the president may have some lingering resentment.

At a private reception held at the White House with newly elected lawmakers shortly after the election, Bush asked Webb how his son, a Marine lance corporal serving in Iraq, was doing.

Webb responded that he really wanted to see his son brought back home, said a person who heard about the exchange from Webb.

“I didn’t ask you that, I asked how he’s doing,†Bush retorted, according to the source.

Webb confessed that he was so angered by this that he was tempted to slug the commander-in-chief, reported the source, but of course didn’t. It’s safe to say, however, that Bush and Webb won’t be taking any overseas trips together anytime soon.

“Jim did have a conversation with Bush at that dinner,†said Webb’s spokeswoman Kristian Denny Todd. “Basically, he asked about Jim’s son, Jim expressed the fact that he wanted to have him home.†Todd did not want to escalate matters by commenting on Bush’s response, saying, â€It was a private conversation.â€
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

A better response would have been: "He's still alive. How are your kids doing?"
  3. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

Yesterday, Bush announced nothing but a U.S. victory in Iraq would be acceptable. Anyone want to propose how this gets done and how many years this will take?
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 1 / -9

Isn't this Webb the same guy that wrote a book about putting little boys "privates" in his mouth?
    By God, now there's a great upstanding American for you, Bush should have thrown him through the
    f-cking window, Harry Truman would have, Truman wouldn't have let him through the front gate.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't know what you're talking about, but I bet whatever it is it's entirely out of context. He does write books (and wrote the script for Rules of Engagement) but... wha?
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

You know guys, did you all criticize Clinton for not serving his country when he sent those Rangers to their graves in Somalia? I bet you didn't. I know I didn't. I understand that the war in Iraq is unpopular, and that most of you who oppose our being their also dispise the president. That's fine. But why do we hold Bush to a higher standard than we have past presidents who never even served in any capacity? So by your logic, if Hillary Clinton, Edwards, or Obama wins the election in 2008, they can never send troops into combat. Think about that.

As for Webb/Bush exchange, maybe it went that way, maybe it didn't. When it comes to political quotes, I have a very hard time believing anything that's heresay. A source heard.... is something I take with a grain of salt. Assuming it is accurate, then I guess you can understand the sentiment on both sides. On the one hand, GW was trying to be cordial by asking about the man's son, on the other, the man asked is not happy about his son being in an unpopular war. You could see where Webb would repsond in a spiteful tone, and how GW would get his panties in a bunch at ice breaker being thrown back at him.
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

James Webb may prove to interesting in Congress, not only because of his current resume, but don't forget he was Secretary of the Navy under Ronald Reagan... so he knows the inner workings of the executive branch as well. I have also read that he has had a long standing feud, or a misunderstanding with Gates the proposed new Secretary of Defense.
  8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +303 / 1 / -9

James Webb:
    Lost Soldiers: "A shirtless man walked toward them along a mud pathway. His muscles were young and hard, but his face was devastated with wrinkles. His eyes were so red that they appeared to be burned by fire. A naked boy ran happily toward him from a little plot of dirt. The man grabbed his young son in his arms, turned him upside down, and put the boy's penis in his mouth."

For More Of His Sh!t:
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1729196/posts

Again, Harry Truman would have had the secret service throw this jerk over the White House fence.
  9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +303 / 1 / -9

Oh, I see :singing: :singing: :singing:
  10. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So what're you saying, Harry, that he's a perv because he wrote about the weird practices of another culture? I guess every writer who's ever written a murder-mystery is a murderer then. Hey, doesn't Stephen King live in your state? If I were you I'd start watching out for him.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I happen to like alot of things about Webb. My only fear is that Washington will change him. He's one of the newly elected Democrats that has me cautiously optimistic about the recent elections. Hope he can keep the Loony far left in check.
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

I am not sure about the Loony far left comment, but I hope he stays true to his roots and does not get distracted from the real issues.
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +303 / 1 / -9

OK, I tried, win a few lose a few Webb may be a decent guy but I don't trust these Haters, they will go against all forms of security just to "Get Bush" their Hatred and Jealousy of Bush drives them coo-coo.

Funny you should speak of Stephen King, I met him in a little Chinese restaurant in Bridgton Me, (he is a chinese food freak) if I was a little kid I would hate to have him peeking in my crib in the middle of the night, especially if he was smiling. He is all messed up now, he was walking one of these old back roads after dark and got hit by a pick up truck.

Samantha is a beauty :bricks:
  14. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Did you trust the haters that were going after Clinton like it was hunting season? Not to say his hands are clean, but the wringer they put his tit through wasn't worth what he did. Politics is opportunism, and don't think Webb will be any different, hopefully he just won't be any worse.
  15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +303 / 1 / -9

Most of them didn't have the hate that is out there for Bush, what they did have for Clinton was "Disgust", they didn't want him SOILING the Peoples Oval Office, some parents won't let their children attend field trips to the White House anymore because the first thing the kids do is start giggling and wanting to see where Monica & Our Bill had their Orgasms.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

The loony far left comment refers to the Kerry/Dean/Pelosi/Kennedy & co crowd inside the democratic party. As most of you know, I like old school dems, and old school repubs. I may disagree with each on different topics, but I can talk to, agree with, and productively debate each. My issues have always been with extreme liberals. I have very little capacity to deal with them. No offense personally to any of them, as their causes are sometimes noble, but they are loons politically. Anyhow, the radical right is proving to be as close a form of lunatic as the leftists. The only issue with the right wing whackers is that they tend to do their damage outside america, and usally do not try to impose a lifestyle/life change upon me.
  17. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Duplicate post
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  18. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's BS, can you imagine those REPUBLICANS doing that if it were a REPUBLICAN in office? No, they went after him not because they were disgusted with the other party being in power. 95% of DC politicians have had affairs, most of them probably have whores on speed-dial.

Why was the independant council statute allowed to expire after Clinton left office and Bush came in?
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

The right hated Slick Willy hardcore. My problem with Slick Willy stems from his lying under oath, and that as president he did disgrace the office with his actions. Slick Willy had his faults like any president, but he wasn't that bad as he was more moderate than anything else. He was the ultra politician though, really knew how to play the role. Policy wise he was fine. The hate for Clinton stemmed from his having a (D) next to his name, just like GW is hated for having an (R) next to his name. Obviously GW has had a more controversial presidency, but he's had to deal with more than any president of my lifetime, so it shouldn't be surprising that he's recieved more disdain than BC. Anyhow, Clinton really got under the rights skin alot. That's today's party politics though.
  20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +303 / 1 / -9

Real,
    You think things out before you post, I get mad, when I picture Billy biting his lip and carrying his little bible and all the hypocrite democrat phony feminsts gushing and fawning all over themselves when his name is mentioned it makes me sick.

At the time Blue Dress was playing with Monica there were service people having their careers ruined for doing the same thing the Commander In Chief was doing (Officers Having Sex With Privates) and Billy was getting a standing ovation from the double standard democrats.

What Cinton did was "Just Sex" as the democrats say but it was the double standard and the "LYING IN YOUR FACE" from the President Of The United States.

He has the Character of a Gang Banger and the Morals of a barnyard HOG.

Where were the Phony Democrat Feminists for the Victims of Billy Blue Dress?

Mary Tyler Moore doesn't want America "Boiling Lobsters" where was this hollywood clown when Billy had Kathleen Wileys Cat killed?