PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James Sanders-The next Rodney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedylb

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
BB & his staff always seem to have a sub ready to step up when a starter goes down. Wright, Thomas & TBC are prime examples this season. Another one is Sanders, who is a sure tackler & is not getting beat. Don't get me wrong-there's no sub for Rodney's leadership, and I pray he'll be back in the playoffs. But I feel pretty good about the kid. This is only his second season, & he continues to improve. #36 made some TD-saving stops yesterday & the last several games.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL & GO PATS!!!

The Titans was Sanders best game. Early in the season, it looked to me he may be a bust but yesterday was, in my opinion, a break out game for him.

The Titans was Sanders best game. Early in the season, it looked to me he may be a bust but yesterday was, in my opinion, a break out game for him.

It was to me also-we're going to need another Rodney out there and if Sanders can display what he did yesterday we got ourselves a winner:singing: It was great seeing the backups and the rookies step up the way they did.
Playoffs-our time to shine. Go Pats.

I still have my doubts about Sanders. He made some decent plays in pass protection, but I don't think he has the instincts that Rodney has in playing the run. Tennessee gashed the Pats defense with their running game when Rodney went down. There was absolutely no run support from the secondary.

Sanders will be a good NFL player imho but i do not think he will reach # 37 play-level...

pity that Eugene Wilson had a rough year and he is now on IR...

I still have my doubts about Sanders. He made some decent plays in pass protection, but I don't think he has the instincts that Rodney has in playing the run. Tennessee gashed the Pats defense with their running game when Rodney went down. There was absolutely no run support from the secondary.

While I agree that "he's no Rodney", there were times a bit after the Rodney injury yesterday, where it looked like Sanders was wrapping up and making tackles, when the Titans run got through our linebackers (namely: Bruschi). Tedy looked dead tired for a stretch, there.

I am pretty impressed with how well Sanders has tackled over this season. He's not perfect by any means, but he's held up very well in many one-on-one situations, where he absolutely had to be the one to get tackle somebody.

He seems sooo much better than he used to be, way back when.

Sanders has maken a big leap with being a solid starter. While he's no Rodney just yet and may never reach that level Sanders makes alot of plays.

You don't hear his name on blown coverages or missed tackles so that's good.

I think Sanders is playing well and he's helping.

But I think he's actually a ery poor tackler. He doesn't wrap up well and he always hits high. He's got to learn to tackle a guy's legs and thighs.

i think sending him on a blitz was a step up on his progress. Now coaches trust him to play closer to line and arent as afraid of letting big play go like we kept him and Hawkins back playing pass first

Not a 37 but Sanders was solid yesterday and more than good enough to beat the Jets. Actually, I thought Hawkins missed a few tackles yesterday and was a bigger concern than Sanders.

Thats when he was trying to play the version of Free Safety that the Pats play. He isn't experienced or fast enough for that job. SS is his position.

Depends on what you mean.

Is he the next Rodney Harrison? No, I dont think anybody will be.

Is he going to be the man to step in as our starting SS once Rodney is done? I think so.

Depends on what you mean.

Is he going to be the man to step in as our starting SS once Rodney is done? I think so.

agreed..i dont think he'll ever be as dominant as Rodney but hes going to be a solid starter..nothing flashy but will only improve

I agree. There has never been and likely will never be another Rodney Harrison. The guy is the only DB in NFL history with 25+ sacks and 30+ interceptions.

Truly one of a kind.

Sanders will be an above-average replacement, in time.

Thought he put up a decent effort against JAX too. Recovered nicely and held Jones to 8 yd gains a couple of times.

I asked the question to PFW guys and they think he can be a quality successor to Rodney, without being a Rodney clone.

What game were you watching in the second half they shut down the Titans running game. The one player that has disappointed me was Marquis Hill if you go back and watch the tape some of those big runs were when Hill was in the game and being totally manhandled at the line of scrimmage. I have been down on the way the team handled their off season last year but their young players are developing right before our eyes. Sanders, the OL, TBC,Wright, Eric Alexander and of course Chad Jackson and Maroney.

What game were you watching in the second half they shut down the Titans running game. The one player that has disappointed me was Marquis Hill if you go back and watch the tape some of those big runs were when Hill was in the game and being totally manhandled at the line of scrimmage. I have been down on the way the team handled their off season last year but their young players are developing right before our eyes. Sanders, the OL, TBC,Wright, Eric Alexander and of course Chad Jackson and Maroney.
Thank you. Sanders is playing well in both facets of run and pass support, if the defensive call has him playing the pass then he is going to be late getting up in run support. Tennessee had at least one big run against the nickel package, which was just good play calling by Tennessee, and having the players to execute the blocking and run the ball.

As for Hill, yes, they got those big first half runs going at him, no surprise. Where Sanders, Wright and others have been able to get reps on Special Teams and make progress outside the standard roles they might move into as the depth chart thins, Hill just hasn't gotten any significant reps outside of practice. I had hoped to see a stronger performance from him (and I may have missed it since I haven't looked at his second half reps when the run D stiffened), but this is a case where "In BB We Trust" must be the watchword. It isn't as if BB makes being wrong his watchword on personnel management.

Well...if the Herald is correct, then Sanders will have to step it up a great deal more as Rodney is apparently not going to play Sunday.

Last edited:
Most must remember that Rodney wasn’t always a starter he played only on special teams his first year when he was with the Sandi ago Chargers. He didn’t become a starter to his third year. So lets not say that he will never be a Rodney, because Rodney wasn’t Rodney till he became a full time starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back