PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James Sanders is the Weak Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Consistently getting beaten, slow, out of position. He's a liability on the field. If it weren't for Meriweather, Mason would have scored on the long pass Meriweather broke up at the last minute.

Sit James Sanders. Now.

QB12

You are the weakest link. Goodbye.

I wondered why they signed him to such a big contract (for him).

McGowan comes in off the street and is doing pretty well. Springs could probably play safety in a dime package. Chung could play.

All I know is that BM and BM are better S's than JS

I wouldn't say Sanders is the weakest link , he is good , but needs to work harder at filling the gaps and following tightly the Receiver. .

Mason gets by Sanders ,Meriweather came all the way across ,knocks it away and covers up for J. Sanders
sanders1.jpg

sanders2.jpg

Last edited:
Sanders isn't that bad, Meriweather is just becoming a beast.

Last edited:
I think Sanders is an acceptable third safety, but is indeed a liability as a starter. His biggest problem is taking bad tackling angles in space, compounded by poor lateral agility. He misplayed the tackle on Rice's 50 yard run yesterday, and that's only the latest in a long series of big plays given up by Sanders when he needs to come up and make a tackle in space. Given that in the Pats defense he often ends up with free safety responsibility, missing tackles like that is a huge problem.

Kasmir hits the nail right on the head. Sanders needs to sit.

QB12

I think that McGowan is going to take a lot of snaps away from Sanders this year. And JS likely won't be with the team in 2010, because Chung will probably be ready by then.

Kasmir hits the nail right on the head. Sanders needs to sit.

QB12

You do realize being the third safety doesn't mean he'll be sitting, right?

Guyton was the one that let rice get the 50 yrd so do you want to cut him too.

Sanders is a SS type guy. He cleans up the mess the front 7 creates he was or never will be the lighter faster coverage safety.He is not fast enough.
so not sure what you are talking about . if your statement is correct would it no be DC who needs to firing for asking him to do something he is not comfortable with.

Yesterday merriweather was all over the field which means you need a safety who can clean up the mess and that is what sanders is. Troy ,reed all makes play as they know they have another safety back their to cleanup.

Sanders really gets a bad rap on here, and I think that he is blamed too often for things out of his control.

First, on the long one Rice ripped off, that was the biggest hole I think I have ever seen. It was actually on Guyton for getting washed so easily on the play. If an NFL back can't make a guy screaming in on support miss, he shouldn't be in the league. Sanders is actually one of the surest open field tacklers on the entire team.

Yes, he does leave a lot to be desired in the passing game, but that isn't what he is best at. He doesn't have the natural footwork to get on receivers, nor should be be asked to. Further, Mason has some of the best footwork of any receiver in the NFL. That pass play that Meriweather broke up was clearly a breakdown in coverage.

To date, this year as a whole has been Sanders' best season.

I think that McGowan is going to take a lot of snaps away from Sanders this year. And JS likely won't be with the team in 2010, because Chung will probably be ready by then.

They just signed him to a 3-year deal? Why would they get rid of him?

They just signed him to a 3-year deal? Why would they get rid of him?

Higher salary and a younger, better guy waiting in the wings? Have you been paying attention to the way the Pats operate?

Last edited:
Higher salary and a younger, better guy waiting in the wings? Have you been paying attention to the way the Pats operate?

You asking that is comical...

Honestly, is Ian on sabatical this week?

Maybe you should ask yourself the same question. I wasn't aware it was standard operating procedure to cut players a year into their deals.

Sanders has value, and he produces on special teams. Don't think he's going anywhere.

The OP needs glasses because Sanders is in position more than he's out of position. Perhaps the OP can enlighten us with safeties that have NEVER been beaten deep in the NFL? Even the great Ronnie Lott was beaten from time to time.

Maybe you should ask yourself the same question. I wasn't aware it was standard operating procedure to cut players a year into their deals.

Sanders has value, and he produces on special teams. Don't think he's going anywhere.

I was met with the same skepticism when I questioned whether Vrabel was worth 5M on the books. We all know how that turned out. So don't be so sure about Sanders being a lock at 3M.

The OP needs glasses because Sanders is in position more than he's out of position. Perhaps the OP can enlighten us with safeties that have NEVER been beaten deep in the NFL? Even the great Ronnie Lott was beaten from time to time.

You sounded reasonable up until the point you compared Sanders to Ronnie Lott. That's gotta be a joke, right?

Last edited:
Yup, been saying this for a while now.

James Sanders is a role player ! A non-play maker if I've ever seen one.

No forced fumbles, no picks, no passes defended, no impact hits, no sacks, no run support hits for losses, nothing, nada, donut. THE MAN IS NEVER AROUND THE FOOTBALL UNTIL THE DAMAGE HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE !

It's the sit back 50 yards deep, keep everything in front of you, even 40 yard completions and do your best to make sure you take the right angle to make the tackle after the damage has been done.

It's time for Patrick Chung.............

The Riddler is right on.

QB12

Re: absolutely correct!!! worst player in the league

Instantly better when he is out. I think he is biggest hurdle bewteen pats and super bowl. He is that bad!!! Great attitude and work ethic but he is slower than most linebackers and simply cannot cut it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes