PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James Sanders is the difference in the improvement on D

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think teams caught up with McGowan's inability to cover wide receivers. He's still a good player and gives us excellent depth at the position, especially as a prototypical strong safety, and should keep improving as he becomes more familiar with the system. Brandon's a big-hitter and has a knack for covering tight ends, which should really help us in the playoffs--we could end up facing Antonio Gates and Dallas Clark down the stretch. That used to be a big weakness for us, and now it's a strength.
When we shut down all the major TE it was mcgown on coverage and not merriweather .Even last game sanders was covering the TE not merriweather.Mcgown played against tony,clark ,keller and every TE we faced.SO i am confused when did you notice this.
Sanders has improved a lot over the years. For a fourth round draft pick, he brings superb value to the team. He knows the Patriots system better than any other defensive back the Pats have, and the importance of that shouldn't be underestimated. It seems like guys are finally staying in position and making most of their tackles before the ballcarrier can get to the first-down line. They are playing smarter, more disciplined football in the secondary. That's much more important than coming up with big hits. What Sanders lacks in athletic ability, he's made up for with intelligence.
Like stopping drew on 4&1 or knocking the 275LB te out of the game with a hit. He is a classic old school strong safety who can be rotated into play ILB as in the 4&1. You say he is slower but he is bigger and smarter than other safety.If he was 20 LB bigger he would have been the next bru and our ILB.
Its like comparing him to reed of bal at the LOS. reed skill translates more to merriweather playing centerfield then at the LOS where he is useless blocking and taking on OL,200 lb RBs.
The other benefit I've seen from his presence is that Brandon Meriweather has been used in the box more often than before, which I think takes advantage of his explosiveness. I'd like see BM used on blitzes and short yardage situations more often, as he is similar to Rodney in that role.
Again last 3 games merriweather is playing way back even in the 3rd and 1 end round he came screaming from the back field. He is playing his instincts knowing if he does anything bad sanders is covering him.Again merriweather is playing deep and is excellent in reading the plays and roaming like reed does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back