PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James Sanders could be on trade block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats went extra safety in the nickel a lot last year. Given that Belichick spent a premium pick on a combo DB, I'm thinking he isn't satisfied with the status quo. That means that someone is losing snaps. Arrington obviously loses with Bodden back, but I can't imagine the safeties escape the offseason unscathed.

Assuming Chung doesn't take a step backward, I see Meriweather and Sanders competing for one spot...that being the deep cover safety role. I agree with you that there will be 4 safeties on the roster. However, the #3 (all-around guy that can sub when needed and take some matchup nickel snaps) and #4 spots (ST guy with potential) can be filled for much less than $3M. Page seems like an ideal #3 and he shouldn't get much interest as a UFA. Barrett was claimed, extended and paid a year's salary to rehab for a reason...and it may be as more than just in the kicking game. He has massive potential if he can get coached up.

That is without mentioning Sergio, McGowan coming back (unlikely), Dowling taking snaps from the safeties (likely) or the Pats picking up UFA/UDFA safeties (also likely). That is a lot of talent challenging for snaps in an area where the Pats (playing Sanders a lot) struggled last year.

Fair enough. For those points, it's a possibility that he's traded. Certainly the roster spots devoted to our DB's will be tight. There's no doubt about that. We'll have some pretty darn good competition with the bubble players. We can figure 4 cb's and 4 safeties (plus another purely ST db). CB - Bodden, McCourty, Dowling, and player x. Safety - Chung, BM, Sanders?, and player x. At least Arrington and Brown are decent at ST, so that helps their cases. It's hard to say what real impact Dowling will have. If he has the first year that say BM had, then he is having a minimal impact. If he's at the other end of the spectrum, then we've got McCourty. Of course, Dowling won't have the preparation of a minicamp and full TC to his benefit. Then there's Wilhite and Butler. Definitely a tough call with all these players.

I also think that BB just values a guy like Sanders. He might be a very unspectacular player, but he's always there ready to play. Sort of the opposite of another Sanders...Bob Sanders (big plays, but always hurt). I just don't see BB trading away his most experienced safety, leaving the position to Chung and BM. We know that BB values the vets, and Sanders is low maintenance (in terms of teaching the system) since he's been here so long and we're in for a truncated TC.

I understand the breakdown you have for the safety position. There's the top two guys, then the #3 is there for subbing in for nickel and such, and the number 4 for ST and potential, but I think we might be seeing a slight shift in strategy for BB at this position. It's too critical to have quality DB's, which includes depth. Plus the way we are with injuries every year, it seems like we have to hedge our bets with the added talent.

But like you said, there are only so many snaps to go around and so many roster spots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back