PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James Develin @ Company Picnic

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSleevesPinkStripes

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Hello everyone, thought I'd share this... my company holds a company picnic every Summer. This year we will be having a special guest - none other than New England's own James Develin.. kind of random but still pretty cool :cool: I'm tempted to ask him about all this BS if I get a chance but I don't think I want to bug him...we'll see.

james-develin.gif

Why would anyone want to ruin the man's day asking garbage questions referencing media bloviation? o_O
Well I don't know if it would ruin his day, but Im sure he wouldn't be psyched about it, which is why I was hesitant...sorry.

I do miss the old-school fullback in football. Sam Cunningham, Sam Gash, Mosi Tatupu, Marc Edwards, Kevin Turner. We had some good ones. I like Develin. Just not a position that is used too often with the way the short-passing game works.

I do miss the old-school fullback in football. Sam Cunningham, Sam Gash, Mosi Tatupu, Marc Edwards, Kevin Turner. We had some good ones. I like Develin. Just not a position that is used too often with the way the short-passing game works.
The league seems to have swapped out the FB for the 3rd down back. A reflection of the times. I do look forward to the pendulum swinging back the other way. When the Seahawks drafted a 225 lb edge rusher in the FIRST ROUND a few years back, I said to my father "This is the tipping point, we've gone too far. The running game will be forced to reemerge through necessity." I refer to it as "The Bruce Irvin Inflection Point".

The league seems to have swapped out the FB for the 3rd down back. A reflection of the times. I do look forward to the pendulum swinging back the other way. When the Seahawks drafted a 225 lb edge rusher in the FIRST ROUND a few years back, I said to my father "This is the tipping point, we've gone too far. The running game will be forced to reemerge through necessity." I refer to it as "The Bruce Irvin Inflection Point".

One would think as defensive fronts get lighter and faster, it should be easier to run right at them. I think that's the way you have to play Seattle. Unless you have the GOAT at qb;)

I think we're going to see a lot of 2 TE with Gronk and Chandler. It almost forces the defense to stay in base. If you go nickel, we should be able to run the ball. Especially, when we go hurry up.

He graduated from Brown with a degree in engineering, he is brighter than many...
Cameron Fleming could probably give him a run for his money with an Aeronautics and Astronautics Engineering degree from Stanford.

One would think as defensive fronts get lighter and faster, it should be easier to run right at them. I think that's the way you have to play Seattle. Unless you have the GOAT at qb;)

I think we're going to see a lot of 2 TE with Gronk and Chandler. It almost forces the defense to stay in base. If you go nickel, we should be able to run the ball. Especially, when we go hurry up.
The Seahawks are impressive in how they manage to stay solid against the run despite their smaller D. Having the best CB and FS in the league allows them to allocate resources in ways other teams can't. That's a great defense, but in 2 games (SD and NE) they proved that when gassed, they are human. Gotta wear them out with either the run or short passes.

Edit: Dallas wore them out too IIRC by pounding the rock with Murray. A tired D is a dead D.

I think, as one would expect, BB sees this trend too and is one of the reasons he has always gone after a solid if not spectacular 2TE set. From Graham all the way up to Chandler with Gronk the best he has invested heavy in the position his whole time here.

[QUOTE=" A tired D is a dead D.[/QUOTE]

One of my pet peeves about NFL defenses. Teams really have to get a DL rotation going. Why do teams march up and down the field at the end of halfs and games? Because, the defenses are bleepin gassed. I think we're close to having a pretty good rotation going at DL this year.

Wonder how much this company paid Kraft to have Develin appear?????:D:D:D:D

Is he charging an appearance fee? I suspect he is (and I also suspect that your company's PR or HR function will be very evasive if you ask that question).

If so, you should feel free to ask him whatever you want, as he is being paid to be there and any question about his professional life that doesn't intrude into his family or private life is "fair game."

If he's not charging an appearance fee, he's being a good guy so leave him alone and ask him how he felt when Malcolm made his pick.

I love me some James Develin! One of my favourite players on the team. :)

One of my pet peeves about NFL defenses. Teams really have to get a DL rotation going. Why do teams march up and down the field at the end of halfs and games? Because, the defenses are bleepin gassed. I think we're close to having a pretty good rotation going at DL this year.

That's been our problem the past few years. Like you said, hopefully this year we'll have a decent rotation.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, thought I'd share this... my company holds a company picnic every Summer. This year we will be having a special guest - none other than New England's own James Develin.. kind of random but still pretty cool :cool: I'm tempted to ask him about all this BS if I get a chance but I don't think I want to bug him...we'll see.

james-develin.gif
That's one of the greatest touchdowns of all time. I remember seeing it as it happened and Develin's been one of my favorites ever since.

Well I don't know if it would ruin his day, but Im sure he wouldn't be psyched about it, which is why I was hesitant...sorry.

Yeah, nothing to be sorry about. I'm sure you were thinking in a "how deflategate is a bunch of BS" kind of way which would not have been too big of a deal but I do agree with leaving it alone and focussing on the Super Bowl championship or how the Colts may forfeit the week 6 game out of fear.

LOL ... ditto on that for me ... every draft I wished or Belichick to draft a RB with the biggest ass ... eventually he went back to it and I for one love it. Old NFL smash mouth football was great ... especially on muddy sod.

I go a step further ... I'd like to see on a drive or 2 that old fashioned 3 back set ... the Power I.
Bet it would work for a set or so ... if you could catch a team in a small nickel or even with luck a dime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back