Welcome to PatsFans.com

James Baker; Ouch?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Now wouldn't this be something if true. The more corruption people factually expose, the better. Proving people are corrupt should deter others from considering the same. Accusations aren't enough these days. Concrete proof is what's needed. If this dude indeed did keep some dirty laundry on Baker, well, look out!

Baker sought to cover-up illegal trade with Saddam's Iraq, Israeli charges

[​IMG]

Iraq Study Group co-chair James A. Baker made two points as he testifies before the Senate Armed Services Committee on the release of the ISG report on Dec. 7 (Mike Theiler/AFP)

Former Secretary of State James Baker was involved in a cover-up of illegal trading by his law firm with the regime of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, according to a former contractor who did work for Mr. Baker’s firm.

Mr. Baker used non-Americans to help acquire funds from Iraq in violation of the United Nations embargo and U.S. law, the former contractor said.

Nir Gouaz, an Israeli security veteran, said that in 1999 Mr. Baker's leading deputy at the law firm of Baker Botts ordered him to destroy all documents that detailed how he obtained from Iraq more than $250 million for a client.

Mr. Baker's firm has denied Mr. Gouaz's account.

But the Israeli said he has documents that could destroy Mr. Baker's reputation. He said he has been angered by Mr. Baker's attempt to press the Bush administration to impose an anti-Israeli policy in an attempt to win Arab cooperation to help stabilize Iraq. Mr. Baker, appointed by President Bush in 2003 as his envoy to recover debts from Iraq, has also co-chaired the Iraq Study Group, which on Dec. 6 issued 79 recommendations on U.S. policy in Iraq.

"When I heard the Baker recommendations, I couldn't stand the hypocrisy," said Mr. Gouaz, president of Caesar Global Securities, who worked for Mr. Baker's law firm in Washington for two years. "In his eyes, the diplomatic vision for the Middle East is actually an economic vision. A person like that wouldn't stop at anything to reap profits and dictate to Israel how to behave."

http://www.insightmag.com/Media/MediaManager/Baker_5.htm
  2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

This media leak sounds a lot like 'Syriana'.

Oil, the Middle East, the US, Israel, corrupt politicians and businessmen, etc etc etc... the entire situation is dirty and corrupt.
  3. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

It sure is. That's how the real world works unfortunately. :(
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

look at them doing whatever they can to discredit the Iraq Study Group and it's unflattering findings ....... with a link from insightmag.com, even, a druge ally? and based on an Israeli criminal informant? hooray!!... get back to us when a true mainstream media outlet picks up this "story"...

curious, do you guys get handed a Rove pamphlet when you register Republican?

The ISG must be seen as the enemy at all costs!!!! too funny
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

RW,
    Better spend more time researching your sources.

Nir Gauz is an Israeli criminal involved in the diamond trade in Sierra Leone, that is until he was deported. There is a big rivalry in the diamond trade in West Africa between the Israelis and Lebanese Shi'ites (who have been involved there since the days of the Ottomans) Apparently there's some bad blood between Gauz and the Americans who are trying to improve conditions in that part of Africa. That's not good for the Israeli and his business group that still operates in the diamond trade. Looks like this guy might have an ax to grind with Baker for some reason.

Check out this link your thread led me to while I was checking on this guy. Fascinating slice of international workings that ties in al-Queda with the Israelis and, of course, the Americans. Amazing how entrenched the Lebanese are in this part of the world.

http://action.web.ca/home/pac/attach/sierraleone2002_e.pdf
    You'll find the references to Gauz on page 16 of the report.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

When I read this, I realize how corrupt this system is and how it interfaces in this so called global economy.. the boundaries of our influence and our world seems smaller and smaller every day, and there are more crime in the suites than in the streets.
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

It's nothing new, I'm afraid. The difference now is that the technology of communication, travel and computer processing makes the corruption more omnipresent and, unfortunately, incorrectable. Seems the day is coming soon when we have to blow this thing up or accept the fact that the people in control will always be the most immoral and dangerous of us all. Maybe there's a middle ground in the struggle...I don't know. All I know is Ghandi ain't walkin' through that door any time soon.
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

What a shock, baaaaa......pull the wool out from in front of your eyes and try reading what the thread says:

Now wouldn't this be something if true.

Hmmm.....can someone tell AssStein what if means.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I only posted the story as a what if, which I made clear in my first sentence. Furthermore, the man in question claims to have documentation which proves his claims to be true. Obviously, most everyone involved in this field of government is going to have questions about their charactor. In this case, I find the story topical, not because of the accusations made, but because the person who's making them, claims to have documented proof.
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I see your point.
    I think this guy Gauz is a POS in a business full of POS's. James Baker might be too...I don't know for sure. All I know is that I'm all for any pressure to remove our troops from Iraq. In this case, the end justifies the means IMO. Saving our kids from being thrust into a civil conflict with a target on their backs is the most important thing the government can do right now, and they're threatening to do the opposite.

So did you read the report? I thought it was fascinating.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Guaz and Baker could both be loosers, and probably both are. I wouldn't ake one's word over the others per say, but if one had documented proof that proves the other did something evil, then their word is irrelevent as the documents would do the "talking" so to speak. For me anyhow.

I've read portions of it from some links in another forum. Some of the recomendations are a tad strange to me. For example:

RECOMMENDATION 15: Concerning Syria, some elements of that negotiated peace should be:
    • Syria’s full adherence to UN Security Council Resolution 1701 of August 2006, which provides the framework for Lebanon to regain sovereign control over its territory.
    • Syria’s full cooperation with all investigations into political assassinations in Lebanon, especially those of Rafik Hariri and Pierre Gemayel.
    • A verifiable cessation of Syrian aid to Hezbollah and the use of Syrian territory for transshipment of Iranian weapons and aid to Hezbollah. (This step would do much to solve Israel’s problem with Hezbollah.)
    • Syria’s use of its influence with Hamas and Hezbollah for the release of the captured Israeli Defense Force soldiers.
    • A verifiable cessation of Syrian efforts to undermine the democratically elected government of Lebanon.
    • A verifiable cessation of arms shipments from or transiting through Syria for Hamas and other radical Palestinian groups.
    • A Syrian commitment to help obtain from Hamas an acknowledgment of Israel’s right to exist.
    • Greater Syrian efforts to seal its border with Iraq.

RECOMMENDATION 16: In exchange for these actions and in the context of a full and secure peace agreement, the Israelis should return the Golan Heights, with a U.S. security guarantee for Israel that could include an international force on the border, including U.S. troops if requested by both parties.

Syria is not going to help find out what happened to Harriri. Why? Cuz they killed him. Furthermore, these nations (Syria & Iran), will be happy to say their peaceful and willing to help, when we all know they won't be. Baker seems to feel that simply giving them the Goaln Heights will be enough to guarantee their committed agreement. I don't. Baker seems to also feel that the Heights, which would render Israel open to rocket attacks and infiltrations, could be secured by an "international" force, or maybe even Americans. Well, considering how well the "international" forces are doing in Lebanon, Israel should feel pretty good about that deal right?

UNIFIL Patrol Takes Nights Off, UN Admits Hizbullah Arming

Despite the 20,000 troops deployed in southern Lebanon, the United Nations admits that weapons smuggling from Syria continues unhindered. A German report finds UNIFIL does not patrol after dark.

Hizbullah terrorists are free to roam at night without fear of being identified by the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), according to a report by the German paper Der Spiegel.

Spanish UNIFIL official Richard Ortax admitted to the paper that no patrols are carried out at night “because of the danger involved.†UNIFIL commanders said their function is to "observe changes in the behavior of the local population."

One junior officer told Der Spiegel he was glad that his battalion had only left its camp once. "It's absurd," he said. "We landed here and set up our tent city, but since then we've only left the camp to drive around and to make sure that we're seen."

The report cites a long tradition of UNIFIL inaction, which it says allowed time for a Finnish contingent to construct a giant sauna and an Indian contingent to decorate its base with traditional Indian artwork.

The UNIFIL troops and the 14,000 Lebanese soldiers stationed in the region add up to a total of around 20,000 troops in the 18-by 31-mile region of southern Lebanon. Another 6,000 troops are still expected to arrive.

The United Nations itself has admitted that Syria was still successfully smuggling arms to the Hizbullah, which neither UNIFIL nor the Lebanese army plan to stop.

Israel has maintained overflights in the region in order to monitor and discourage the smuggling, yet UNIFIL officials condemn the continued Israeli maneuvers. The Lebanese army even attempted to shoot down Israeli fighter jets on Tuesday. France and the European Union have been accusing Israel of violating Resolution 1701 with its flights over Lebanon.

The current state of affairs has led Israeli officials to speak about “rethinking the implementation of Israel’s commitments†made in the context of the UN-brokered cease-fire.

The UN Security Council “noted with regret [that] non-Lebanese militias†in the country had not been disbanded or disarmed, an allusion to the Iranian and Syrian-backed Hizbullah. The statement on Tuesday was termed a “presidential statement,†which is the weakest of all available Security Council actions.

Following the meeting, UN envoy to the region Terje Roed-Larsen explicitly admitted that Syria was actively smuggling weapons into Lebanon. He said that Lebanese government officials "have stated publicly and also in conversations with us that there have been arms coming across the border into Lebanon."

Roed-Larsen added that Syria itself does not deny the flow of weapons, claiming only that the arms are not being dispatched by the Syrian government. "The consistent position of the government of Syria has been that, 'Yes, there might be arms smuggling over the border, but this is arms smuggling and the border is porous and very difficult to control,'" Roed-Larsen told reporters.

Roed-Larsen ducked UN responsibility for the smuggling, saying UN troops had not been asked by the Lebanese army to monitor the border.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/news.php3?id=114650

What's bothersome about all of this, is that the nations/organizations/people that the ISG is telling us to broker with, are incredibley evil and unreliable. They are the very reason why there is such turmoil in the region. I have a hard time equating success in Iraq with Syria and Iran aid. Saying that we need them makes me ask why? If they are not part of the problem there, then why is it that they'd be part of the solution? If they stood to benefit from a democratic Iraq, then why do we need to involve Israel, and give them the Golan Heights? I'm not sure I buy into what Baker is selling. Again, I've yet to read it entirely, and am basing my opinion on what I have read, and whatever articles/posts about it. I've wanting to read it, but I've yet the time. IT's what? 60-70 pages of PDF?