PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jamal Lewis/Chester Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
PATSNUTme said:
Corey will be back strong next year, he had a high ankle sprain most of the year.. Yes, we do need to pick up a young running back.

We, also need to upgrade the run blocking. No RB can go anywhere if he's getting hit in the backfield.

I agree with this. Due to the cap, Dillon will be back for one more season. We better pray he was injured this year and that he gets healthy and stays healthy for next year.

Pats will add some competition by bringing in a high volatility RB -- either a mid- to high-round draft pick, or someone acquired from another team who is a second or third stringer behind a great running back (sort of the NFL running back equivalent of a Matt Cassel).

The real big deals in FA and the draft are more likely to go to enhancing the offensive line (especially creating depth) than getting a top RB.

If your a fan declaring that we need to fix the O line then may I suggest a football 101 refresher course.

Starting LT done put on the IR, Starting C done put on the IR, RT hurt most of the year, Neal just coming into his own and finally developing into a starter, a rookie LG and for the majority of the year a rookie LT. That would be 2, I repeat 2 rookies starting on the most important side of the line. That should not have to be pointed out to a Pats fan!

sieglo said:
The real big deals in FA and the draft are more likely to go to enhancing the offensive line (especially creating depth) than getting a top RB.

Steve Hutchinson = HUGE Upgrade. Toniu Fonoti = Quality depth and great upside. I wouldn't mind seeing both of these guys in Patriots uniforms next season. Hutchinson is a long shot but Fonoti might be available.

mgcolby said:
If your a fan declaring that we need to fix the O line then may I suggest a football 101 refresher course.

Starting LT done put on the IR, Starting C done put on the IR, RT hurt most of the year, Neal just coming into his own and finally developing into a starter, a rookie LG and for the majority of the year a rookie LT. That would be 2, I repeat 2 rookies starting on the most important side of the line. That should not have to be pointed out to a Pats fan!

I'm well aware of what happened to the Pats offensive line this year. I think what they were able to accomplish given the injuries was actually pretty remarkable -- at least in terms of pass protection (run blocking, not so much).

You don't think the Pats need to add depth on the offensive line, especially given the free agency of Neal and Ashworth? I do.

I agree that any time you can get a better overall player at any position then you should upgrade. But I think resigning Neal should be a priority over signing someone else. I also think a Light/Kaczur Mankins Koppen Neal Kaczur/Light is a pretty solid line. I think with a year under their belts as starters along with the veteran leadership of Light and Koppen will make a huge difference on the overall line play. I also believe that Gorin and Hoch are viable backups at a cap friendly price. I believe Ashworth will probably exit via FA (if I am not mistaken he is a Free agent).

sieglo said:
I'm well aware of what happened to the Pats offensive line this year. I think what they were able to accomplish given the injuries was actually pretty remarkable -- at least in terms of pass protection (run blocking, not so much).

You don't think the Pats need to add depth on the offensive line, especially given the free agency of Neal and Ashworth? I do.

If we lose Neal, we'll have to do something to upgrade that spot. As for losing Ashworth, no biggee. He's JAG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes