PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jake Long impresses at combine

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
He has huge hands 11"+ huge wingspan 35"+ arms, and he showed himself as the strongest lineman at the combine with 37 reps. He also has very good size at 6'7 315 lbs. No doubt Long has sealed the #1 LT spot with his showing at the combine so far. So how does this impact the Patriots?

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that Long will not last to pick #7 which should push another good player down.

What I'm wondering is if St. Louis will draft Long to replace Pace at LT or if they will take a defensive player like Sedrick Ellis. The next questionmark is Atlanta at #3, will they try to make a big splash by drafting McFadden or will they take a franchise QB?

My guess

Miami Chris Long
St Louis Jake Long
Atlanta Mcfadden
Oak Dorsey
KC Clady
NYJ Gholston
NE Sedrick Ellis

Well that's just my guess. I'd rather move down if that's how it shakes up, but it's hard to pass up on Sedrick Ellis' talent and size. Well if the Rams take Ellis instead of Long, then he slides to KC. Which possibly leaves Clady at #7. Well I guess none of this helps the Pats out, unless they think Clady is worth it.

Last edited:
If that happens, someone is going to want to jump up to the #7 range and nab Matt Ryan. Perfect trade partner.

or if that happens they will move up and try to get ellis the more i think about this draft the more I see the Pats and one of the best and worst trading spots out there

are they doing the workouts yet and is it on NFL network?

the work outs are tommrow and it is on NFL network

or if that happens they will move up and try to get ellis the more i think about this draft the more I see the Pats and one of the best and worst trading spots out there

:confused:

He has huge hands 11"+ huge wingspan 35"+ arms, and he showed himself as the strongest lineman at the combine with 37 reps. He also has very good size at 6'7 315 lbs. No doubt Long has sealed the #1 LT spot with his showing at the combine so far. So how does this impact the Patriots?

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that Long will not last to pick #7 which should push another good player down.

What I'm wondering is if St. Louis will draft Long to replace Pace at LT or if they will take a defensive player like Sedrick Ellis. The next questionmark is Atlanta at #3, will they try to make a big splash by drafting McFadden or will they take a franchise QB?

My guess

Miami Chris Long
St Louis Jake Long
Atlanta Mcfadden
Oak Dorsey
KC Clady
NYJ Gholston
NE Sedrick Ellis

Well that's just my guess. I'd rather move down if that's how it shakes up, but it's hard to pass up on Sedrick Ellis' talent and size. Well if the Rams take Ellis instead of Long, then he slides to KC. Which possibly leaves Clady at #7. Well I guess none of this helps the Pats out, unless they think Clady is worth it.

Why would they use a 1st round pick on a guy who is more of a 4-3 DT than a 3-4 NT? You don't think they can find a back-up NT later in the draft? This makes absolutely NO SENSE.

In all honesty, I don't see Clady going in the top 10. The fact that you ignore Ryan is pretty telling on how you view the draft.

Why would they use a 1st round pick on a guy who is more of a 4-3 DT than a 3-4 NT? You don't think they can find a back-up NT later in the draft? This makes absolutely NO SENSE.

In all honesty, I don't see Clady going in the top 10. The fact that you ignore Ryan is pretty telling on how you view the draft.

Who is the they you are talking about?

Ryan is a top pick, but I don't see the Patriots drafting him. Sorry.

Why do so many think the Jets are going to draft Gholston?

Wouldn't selecting Ellis actually be the better pick for them? Mangini's been trying to copy BB and build from the lines out, and they could use Ellis. So, that would seem like the most logical pick.

I actually hope the Patriots trade down (to about 12-16) and pick up a mid-second. There's good depth at some of the positions the Patriots should be looking to fill, and considering that depth some player who might have been a first rounder in other drafts could slip to that mid-second NE would pick up with their trade down. 12-16 overall seems like a prime spot for NE, as well.

Who is the they you are talking about?

Ryan is a top pick, but I don't see the Patriots drafting him. Sorry.

I am talking about the fact that Miami, Atlanta, and the NYJ all need a QB and you totally ignore that.

No one said anything about the Pats taking Ryan.

im hoping Long goes early to Miami or St. louis. We wont have a shot at him KC would take him in a heartbeat. But if Long goes early then we have a potential trading partner with KC. Our third round pick works perfect to move up to KCs spot ahead of the Jets who are targeting alot of the same guys we are.

Lets say Chris Long or mcFadden were on the board at KCs pick we could jump ahead of the Jets and take them, the Cheifs could take Clady at 7. And Mangini would by crying.

instead of a new thread for other players.

some weigh ins for the ever so popular McFadden and his competition

McFadden 211
Mendenhal 225
Stewart 235 (very low BF, looked great)

Why do so many think the Jets are going to draft Gholston?

Wouldn't selecting Ellis actually be the better pick for them? Mangini's been trying to copy BB and build from the lines out, and they could use Ellis. So, that would seem like the most logical pick.

I tend to agree with this. The Jets haven't touched their DL thru the draft in a few years and they drafted Harris last year. If Mangina has any brains he would take the best DL available especially with the talent available.

it's the best spot if someone slips the worst if it goes how the "experts" think it will

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes