Welcome to PatsFans.com

Jake Bequette earns practice player of the week (w/ Edelman, Forston, Francis, Salas)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Avenger, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avenger

Avenger Rookie

Ratings:
    +82 / 4 / -1

#11 Jersey

2. vuudu

vuudu Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 4 / -0

Our JJ Watts? No racism intent, mainly based on height and speed. In fact, was clocked faster on 40 time than Watts, but Watt has a solid 20 pound weight over him
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  3. patfanken

patfanken On the Roster

Ratings:
    +640 / 17 / -8

#91 Jersey

And is a LOT more explosive.

Hey, it's a positive in what is turning out to be a very unimpressive first year for a 3rd round pick. Lets see where he is next year and the year after that.
  4. SeymourTrophies

SeymourTrophies Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

JJ Watt is a once in a decade guy. That's really all there is to say about him.

I wouldn't rule Bequette out this year, but the reason he isn't seeing the field is more who is in front of him and less his own lack of progress. Physically, he is capable of everything Ninkovich and Cunningham are doing, but he is behind the curve by 2 years or more with them. Francis finally saw some time this week. Maybe Bequette wanders out there in a subpackage against the Rams.
  5. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,781 / 30 / -48

No Jersey Selected

I would love to see it. He would definitely make some mistakes when it comes to setting the edge against the run, overpursuit on screens, etc. He's a rookie. But this kid looks like an absolute beat of a player in the making. My hope coming into the season was that, at some point, he could beat out Ninkovich. This would be a good start...
  6. SeymourTrophies

SeymourTrophies Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

Without going back and looking at every thread in the draft forum, I don't remember how much time you spent there in the offseason, Kontra, but there were a lot of guys who were beating their chest for Bequette (you could have been one of them). He's reportedly a sharp guy, and his agility drills were good enough for people to consider him a possibility at the 3-4 olb at 6-5 270. The mental and physical tools are there to be the ideal guy opposite Jones, but that's not what he did with the Piggies.

A bull rush 4-3 DE in college has one job, and I could see Bequette struggling to exercise those demons and convert himself to the read and react type BB wants. The red jersey could be a hint that he is coming along, but again, I don't think BB feels like there is any hurry because his offseason lovechild (Cunningham), his draft binky (Jones), and his Mr. Everything lovechild (Nink) stand in front of him. If Hightower or Mayo go down, and Nink slides back to a more permanent LB role, we could see Bequette in that spot.
  7. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Rookie

Ratings:
    +132 / 13 / -10

Didn't Steve Maneri and Markell Carter get that honor shortly before they were released?
  8. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 3 / -10

#12 Jersey

I liked him in college as well, but practice player of the week as his pinnacle of achievement this far into the season isn't what I was expecting from a 3rd rounder. No disrespect intended, but any mention of Watt and Bequette in the same sentence is as premature as it can get.
  9. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 1 / -4

#87 Jersey

Great news for Front 7 Dept...now only if someone can standout in our Defensive Secondary...come on Ras-I Dowling morph into shutdown CB.
  10. Nehalem

Nehalem Rookie

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0

I think if Ras-I Dowling needs to morph into an on-field CB first.
  11. drew4008

drew4008 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Such an honor means very, very little.
  12. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I've been hoping to see this guy getting PT since he seems to be exactly what the front 7 needs right now - a solid pass rusher opposite Chandler. Though lately Nink and Cunningham have been doing a pretty good job in recent games, I'd still love to see what Bequette has to offer. Dennard was also inactive until the Denver game and has become a key contributor in the secondary so you never know. Draft would be a grand slam if Chandler, Hightower, Wilson, Dennard, are all playing starters snaps by season's end with Bequette at least getting backup reps.
  13. scott99

scott99 Rookie

Ratings:
    +173 / 76 / -62

#87 Jersey

I was hoping Bequette would be able to help the pass rush this year. Unfortunately it hasn't happened, maybe not until next year. I was hoping Salas would play some as well.
  14. SeymourTrophies

SeymourTrophies Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

Let us cling to hope, darn it! :p
  15. MTM558

MTM558 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#51 Jersey

Bequette is an interesting prospect. He was highly touted on that Arkansas defense and his a bigger build than Chandler Jones, which would set him up nicely for the LDE role. He's too bulky to play Linebacker when we shift to 3-4, but if he fills out his frame he could make the transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 DE pretty easily, I would think.

Regardless, any DL depth we can get will be welcomed. If we're trying to play like the Giants, we need some more pass rushers to emerge.
  16. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +782 / 12 / -5

#12 Jersey

The Pats don't much 3-4 anymore, anyway. If he can be a 4-3 LDE, then that's an ideal role for him and one that would get him plenty of snaps. As others have said, there's just not a lot of urgency for him to come along right away, since Jones, Ninkovich, and Cunningham are all producting. I'd like one of the latter two to make the leap from "serviceable" to "very good", but maybe that's where Bequette comes in down the line.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.