Welcome to PatsFans.com

Jags play the HEY song?!?!

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by brady2brown, Sep 18, 2006.

1. brady2brown

brady2brown On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

MNF just ended, and in the background you can hear the Jags stadium loudspeakers playing the Hey song. If they can do it, why can't we? Does our inability to play the Hey song have anything to do with Deion Branch leaving? Is it yet another sign of "franchise rot" in the Patriots organization?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  2. Murphys95

Murphys95 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Prior to the season the NFL asked stadiums to refrain from playing the song. It was a request only. Frankly I've always believed it was a bit of a publicity stunt by the NFL anyway. Why? Because most people don't even know the name of the song, let alone the artist (Rock 'n Roll Part II, Gary Glitter).

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 10 / -14

Yeah but I believe that Glitter get royalities when the song is play. They shouldn't play it and give him a cent.

For those unfamiliar Glitter has been busted & convicted a couple of times for being a pedophile.

4. Murphys95

Murphys95 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree, Glitter is a scum, but if royalties were an issue, then why not ban 10 time convict James Brown's music? The league took an easy out on this one, all the while glossing over names like Bill Romanowski, Lawrence Taylor, and Marv Albert.

5. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Jags might have used a different version of the song, by the Tube Tops. It sounds almost exactly the same, and the NFL has said teams can use it.

6. alamo

alamo praedica numerum! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0

So what? That has zero to do with the song. The legal system is there to deal with his crimes, I think he is currently in a jail somewhere. His music is separate. Blacklisting is evil and usually hypocritical, and shouldn't be condoned. In this particular case where relatively few people know who did the song in the first place, there is no reason to ban the song, the royalties to the author are not that significant.

7. nhpatsfan

nhpatsfan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In several threads I've seen it written that most people probably don't know about Gary Glitter and his crimes. I have to disagree - I think it's pretty common knowledge.
    I weigh in on the side of don't play it. The guy is despicable and should not be supported in any way.

8. Lloyd_Christmas

Lloyd_Christmas I can delete my own crap! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I think the NFL is right to REQUEST that stadiums don't play the song... which would give a pedophile a load of cash (over time). Condoning the play of this song is like sending a donation to NAMBLA ... at least as far as I am concerned. Why do it?

This is especially true if there is another version of the song from a different artist.

9. bishbash

bishbash On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Just did an internet search for "Tube Tops" & "Toob Tops". Came up empty. Is it spelled another way?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006