Not open for further replies.

flutie2phelan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Jags not fazed by complaints

Several teams question Jacksonville's character

By JIM WYATT
Staff Writer

To some NFL teams, the Jacksonville Jaguars are known as the mouths of AFC South.

And that's being nice.

The Jaguars clinched their first playoff berth since 1999 last weekend, but during the course of the season they rubbed several teams the wrong way.
"I know a lot of players on that team, so I know their character,'' Cardinals defensive tackle Darnell Dockett said after Arizona's 24-17 loss to Jacksonville last month. "They are going to talk trash and play dirty. That's just the way they are.''

The Titans, Cardinals, Bengals and Colts have had run-ins with the Jaguars during or after games. They said the Jaguars do too much talking, too much dancing and take too many cheap shots.
"They were dancing on the field and getting a lot of personal fouls, and as a team we felt a little disrespected by that. We hope to get to play them again,'' Bengals defensive tackle John Thornton said after Cincinnati's 23-20 loss to Jacksonville. "I am not going to say I don't mind losing, but if you lose to a classy team ...

"If (the Jaguars) make a little play ... they get up and take off their helmets, kind of like the old Miami Hurricane-type that you hate losing to. As a pro player, you want to be respected. It is just something about Jacksonville, and it was the same way when I was a Titan. We liked beating them because they were a ****y team. ... They've always been a ****y team.''

The response from Jacksonville: Tough luck.

"We really don't care what other teams think,'' defensive tackle Marcus Stroud said during a conference call yesterday. "We go out and have fun and we play. ... We support each other. We're all there. We play within the rules. If you can't respect a team that does that, well, that is on you. We don't care about that around here.''

Last week two Jaguars were fined — linebacker Mike Peterson $10,000, and former UT star and defensive tackle John Henderson $7,500 — for three separate instances of unnecessary roughness against the Colts on Dec. 11.

The Jaguars are far from being the NFL's most penalized team, however. They're middle of the pack in penalties (114) and yards penalized (956).

But they do seem to know how to push buttons. Cardinals receiver Anquan Boldin got so worked up against the Jaguars that he was flagged twice for personal fouls.

"If (opponents) are taking the time to focus on us dancing and trash talking, that means they are not focusing on what they are supposed to do,'' Stroud said. "If us doing what we do bothers another team, that works to our advantage.''

The complaints don't seem to be sour grapes. The Colts were angry with the Jaguars after beating them 26-18 in Jacksonville to sweep the season series.

"It's uncalled for when people act like that,'' Colts guard Jake Scott said. "You can play hard within the rules. You don't have to break the rules to play hard.''

The Titans and Jaguars have a long history of dislike for each other. Another chapter was added following Jacksonville's 31-28 victory over the Titans on Nov. 20.

Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth got into a shouting match with Jaguars safety Deon Grant as they left the Coliseum field, and many Titans said they felt the Jaguars crowed too much.

Said linebacker Keith Bulluck: "It is like, I don't know, a team that hasn't been winning in a long time, they start winning and then you have average guys thinking that they are All-Pro or Pro Bowlers, and they think they have the right to run their mouth and say what they want.'' ....

edited excerpts
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051229/SPORTS01/512290391/1328/SPORTS

link via profootballtalk.com

Saw their game against Indy last month. Very chippy. Mike Peterson
took a couple of cheap shots. One of their big dt's got a personal
foul for twisting Edge in a pile up. We're going to beat them like a
rented mule. They're Steelers Lite.

patsfaninpa said:
Saw their game against Indy last month. Very chippy. Mike Peterson
took a couple of cheap shots. One of their big dt's got a personal
foul for twisting Edge in a pile up. We're going to beat them like a
rented mule. They're Steelers Lite.
On one of the plays, Henderson was on the back of an offensive linesman and literally grabbed him by the helmet from behind pounding his head into the field. That team has some great talented players, but some of them take the "We're Disrespected, we're going to beat some respect into you" way beyond hard hitting and good execution into the realm of losing control of themselves on the field. Hopefully they will go into whatever town they play and play like a playoff caliber team, and not a team out to hurt others in a losing effort.

homergreg said:
some of them take the "We're Disrespected, we're going to beat some respect into you" way beyond hard hitting and good execution into the realm of losing control of themselves on the field.
Now you see how then entire league views Harrison.

A lot of their fans have the same disposition too.

ClosingTime said:
Now you see how then entire league views Harrison.
I never knew that the league thought this way of Marvin Harrison this way after he choked out a kid asking for his autograph.

But seriously, Harrison is what intensity is all about. Sometimes he does let it get the best of him. But to be a coward like alot of Clot fans, not saying all Clot fans, have been about his injury and to gloat about it, is the most classless thing a person can do. To seriously be happy that someone is hurt because you don't like them is absolutly dispicable.

Someone over on indystar started a thread saying the Clots are the class act of the league, too bad most of their fans can't follow suit.

You guys really got to stop with this cherrypicking of threads from messageboards and drawing conclusions. I could certainly do the same on this board, find threads where someone cheered an injury or maybe, just maybe stated that they were sick and tired about hearing about Dungy's kid's suicide.
I wouldn't wish injury on anyone but didn't feel bad one bit when Harrison went down for the simple reason that I do believe he is a dirty player, not just a tough, physical player, a dirty player. Same way I don't shed a tear when a DEnver Olineman gets hurt.

ClosingTime said:
I wouldn't wish injury on anyone but didn't feel bad one bit when Harrison went down for the simple reason that I do believe he is a dirty player, not just a tough, physical player, a dirty player. Same way I don't shed a tear when a DEnver Olineman gets hurt.

That hit he put on Marvin Harrison in the AFC championship game(fumble) was a bute. :rocker:

Well

ClosingTime said:
You guys really got to stop with this cherrypicking of threads from messageboards and drawing conclusions. I could certainly do the same on this board, find threads where someone cheered an injury or maybe, just maybe stated that they were sick and tired about hearing about Dungy's kid's suicide.

There are a lot of dirty players in the league,,,,but harrison is not one of them! He plays hard, but not dirty (at least not since he's been in NE) I will agree with you on the Denver Oline though,,,they have been that way for quite a while (attribute that to the oline coach)!

mtbykr,
Not only is Harrison a dirty player, he is the dirtiest player. YOu're delusional if you don't see it.

You Colt fans are idiots. Does Harrison celebrate? Nope. He hits. Hard.

I agree, Colts fans are idiots But what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
And what does celebrating have to do with being a dirty player or not?

Last edited:
BionicPatriot said:
You Colt fans are idiots. Does Harrison celebrate? Nope. He hits. Hard.
Uhhh.... Who were you talking to there?

Hags play dirty and thats putting it softly. The aforementioned Peterson and Henderson cheap-shot's were bad enough, but IMO, the worst one was whne Peterson held up Bryan Fletchers leg while making a tackle, while several hags jumped on him. They were clearly trying to injure him and nearly did. Peterson should've been ejected for that IMO.

Watch out if you guy's face them. They are dirty in every sense of the word, especially if they're getting beat. :mad:

ClosingTime said:
Again, no one likes to face facts.

Name one single instance of Harrison playing dirty. Just one. Something other than him having the nerve to hit and tackle COlts receivers legally, I mean.

homergreg said:
Uhhh.... Who were you talking to there?

Any idiotic Colt fan who says Harrison is dirty by hitting hard.

BionicPatriot said:
Any idiotic Colt fan who says Harrison is dirty by hitting hard.
OK, I don't see any Colt fans doing that here. The only Colt fan posts I see were talking about the Jags, actually hoping your team didn't get the same treatment.

As a Colt fan, I personally believe that Harrison hits hard and doesn't worry about it if he gets an occasional penalty or fine because of his agressiveness. I see that kind of intensity in our young safeties, and I hope they don't get those kind of penalties, but I realize that they can happen. If a guy hits hard, sometimes a helmet to helmet can happen because the intended target changes direction a bit. Sometimes a late hit or out of bounds hit can occur because the player is working so hard to get the hit that he doesn't realize that the play was over. That's all I've seen from Harrison, but I've not watched all his games. I don't consider Harrison a dirty player. As long as he, and other players in the league who play that intense, continue to "walk the line" VS. "cross the line", I don't consider that dirty play.

In the Jags/Colts game the Jags let their intensity get the best of them for a while. Their intensity turned into one sided fights from more than one player on more occasions than I have ever seen in an NFL game. That was sad, and hopefully won't be seen again.

ClosingTime said:
mtbykr,
Not only is Harrison a dirty player, he is the dirtiest player. YOu're delusional if you don't see it.

I agree.

The same goes for fans of the guy who according to players in the NFL is the second dirtiest player - Hines Ward.

I'm sure you agree with that, right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back