PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jacoby going without an agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't he sign with the Yankees using Boras as his agent?

Life coach? Financial advisor? On making just $600k/yr? Here's some advice:
1. Rent a respectable but modest apartment or townhouse in Foxboro. If you buy, stay below market value.
2. Buy a reliable used car or if you insist on something more fancy just lease it.
3. Understand that after taxes you're not going to be taking home enough money that you can start making large investments or giving out cash to family and friends.
Let's make it to that second contract before we get too excited about the sudden spike in income.

I mean, these kids probably don't even know what a Roth IRA is or how to do their taxes. It's not as simple as you're making it out to be.

I mean, these kids probably don't even know what a Roth IRA is or how to do their taxes. It's not as simple as you're making it out to be.
Isn't that what the rookie symposium is for? Oh wait, they teach other life skills there, right Cris???

Isn't that what the rookie symposium is for? Oh wait, they teach other life skills there, right Cris???

The rookie symposium is like three hours of the NFL's sponsors trying to sell you financial instruments with acronyms you've never heard of.

Replay of the NC St. And Miss St. Bowl game on ESPNU.

If I remember correctly Tedy Bruschi acted as his own agent.. he did ok.

Well, they make too much for a Roth...I think they are stuck with a traditional IRA.:D

Well, they make too much for a Roth...I think they are stuck with a traditional IRA.:D
actually, anyone can make Roth contributions via the "backdoor" method. basically, you make a traditional contribution and then immediately convert it to a Roth.

it gets a little tricky if you already have existing traditional IRA assets which have appreciated, but since these guys presumably have little to no IRA savings, they're perfect candidates for backdoor Roth contributions.

I think it's a foolish move for a rookie to come into the NFL without a representative. I wouldn't trust an NFL owner as far as I could throw him.

As for Bruschi, I thought he did go with an agent later on, maybe after he had his stroke. It's possible that he may have ended up regretting that move. We can't know for sure.

I think it's a foolish move for a rookie to come into the NFL without a representative. I wouldn't trust an NFL owner as far as I could throw him.

As for Bruschi, I thought he did go with an agent later on, maybe after he had his stroke. It's possible that he may have ended up regretting that move. We can't know for sure.
Yeah, especially signing here. Not calling BB or Caserio dirtbags, they just do what's best for the team as the player wants to do what's best for them but, I wouldn't take any chances. These guys are crafty. Managed to get both Vince and Branch on real nice rookie deals back in the day.

He doesn't necessarily need an agent but he needs a freaking lawyer, CPA and CFP without question.

But what about the contract is even negotiable? You still sometimes hear about 1st rounders not signing for a while because of "offset language" but I was under the impression it only affected 1st round picks. Besides that, the new rookie contracts seem to come pre-written.

But what about the contract is even negotiable? You still sometimes hear about 1st rounders not signing for a while because of "offset language" but I was under the impression it only affected 1st round picks. Besides that, the new rookie contracts seem to come pre-written.
There is still haggling to be done on bonus structure and roster payments.

An agent is valuable in marketing the player for endorsement deals but rookie deals their value is greatly diminished.

Yeah, especially signing here. Not calling BB or Caserio dirtbags, they just do what's best for the team as the player wants to do what's best for them but, I wouldn't take any chances. These guys are crafty. Managed to get both Vince and Branch on real nice rookie deals back in the day.
BB would not low ball a 3rd round rookie he drafted. How much money he could save by doing that?

BB would not low ball a 3rd round rookie he drafted. How much money he could save by doing that?
I have no idea, just saying, I'd rather give up the 3% and not sweat it. But, this kid might know what he's doing and have the work ethic to put in the time and to make sure he reads the contract correctly.

Agreed. Pats are tough negotiators but nickle and diming a rookie makes no business sense.

I can't say what the difference is because I don't know exactly what an agent can or can't do when it comes to contracts. However, isn't there more to an agent than the deal itself? If I were this particular player's agent I might try to market him in a comedic sense as a threat to Brady. Maybe somebody would buy that angle.

Aren't the rookie contracts pretty much set with where the player gets drafted?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Krafty will def get the most out of this guy... Probably signs for $8.50 an hour....

The rookie symposium is like three hours of the NFL's sponsors trying to sell you financial instruments with acronyms you've never heard of.

I thought it was for telling you how to get a fall guy. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back