PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jacoby Ellsbury..

but it's better then the almost automatic double play he brings to the table on a nightly basis!
Its not like there is a lack of things to complain about in regard to Drew, so why complain about Double Plays? There are several guys on the team (Manny, Lowell, Ortiz, Crisp) who have grounded into more than Drew.
No it's not crazy, just like it's not crazy to say he is not a young player anymore and his best days might be past him already, not to mention getting those numbers in a far less competitive league in the n.l.!
Its more reasonable to assume an off year/adjustment year than to assume 31 is old. And yes, the AL is a better league, but that doesn't mean an NL player will never be able to play in the AL, it just means that an NL player may need more of an adjustment period. Drew isn't the first player who needed to adjust.

No it's not crazy, just like it's not crazy to say he is not a young player anymore and his best days might be past him already, not to mention getting those numbers in a far less competitive league in the n.l.!

Time will tell and he is going to be a red sox weather any of us likes him or hates him, because i don't see them eating this contract and there is no team dumb enough to take him off our hands!
exactly .i just hope Tito has the balls to sit his ass on the bench and let the kid play in right field when manny gets back..

Its more reasonable to assume an off year/adjustment year than to assume 31 is old. And yes, the AL is a better league, but that doesn't mean an NL player will never be able to play in the AL, it just means that an NL player may need more of an adjustment period. Drew isn't the first player who needed to adjust.
why is it more reasonable to assume a off year opossed to age?they are both assumptions .trot nixon is around the same age .drew already has a exstensive injury history .i dont think its unreasonable to assume that he will have more injuries as he ages .

why is it more reasonable to assume a off year opossed to age?they are both assumptions .trot nixon is around the same age .drew already has a exstensive injury history .i dont think its unreasonable to assume that he will have more injuries as he ages .
They are both assumptions and both can be true, but players frequently have off years and adjustment years, while guys permanently losing all ability to play at age 31 is not that common.

As far an Nixon, most of his injuries have come recently, playing no more than 134 games since 2003. Drew on the other hand has not had that many injuries as of late (one trip on the DL since 2003, due to getting drilled in the wrist). Drew's extensive injury history all happened before 2003, while most of Nixon's happened since 2003. If Drew were perfectly healthy in his days in St Louis, but injured all the time in Atlanta and LA than I'd be worried that injuries had caught up with him.

They are both assumptions and both can be true, but players frequently have off years and adjustment years, while guys permanently losing all ability to play at age 31 is not that common.

As far an Nixon, most of his injuries have come recently, playing no more than 134 games since 2003. Drew on the other hand has not had that many injuries as of late (one trip on the DL since 2003, due to getting drilled in the wrist). Drew's extensive injury history all happened before 2003, while most of Nixon's happened since 2003. If Drew were perfectly healthy in his days in St Louis, but injured all the time in Atlanta and LA than I'd be worried that injuries had caught up with him.
the older people get the more they get injuries .its that simple.

the older people get the more they get injuries .its that simple.
I fail to see where I said otherwise. Maybe Drew will start to get injured a lot again. Maybe Ortiz will start hitting like he did in Minnesota. Maybe Schilling will start putting up sub 3ERAs. Maybe you'll wake up tomorrow five years in the past where any of these things were the case.

Drew is no more at risk of injury than anyone else his age. And considering hes not injured now, I don't see why this is even a relevant discussion.

I fail to see where I said otherwise. Maybe Drew will start to get injured a lot again. Maybe Ortiz will start hitting like he did in Minnesota. Maybe Schilling will start putting up sub 3ERAs. Maybe you'll wake up tomorrow five years in the past where any of these things were the case.

Drew is no more at risk of injury than anyone else his age. And considering hes not injured now, I don't see why this is even a relevant discussion.
you said it was more reasonable to assume drew is having a off year as opposed to him just getting a little older.while that may be more convenient for your argument its bull **** .that's the point.both assumptions are equally valid .don't look now bill James is calling you geek.lol

you said it was more reasonable to assume drew is having a off year as opposed to him just getting a little older.while that may be more convenient for your argument its bull **** .that's the point.both assumptions are equally valid .don't look now bill James is calling you geek.lol
Both assumptions are valid and I have never said anything to the contrary. I just tend to believe that an off year is the more likely reason because they are a fairly common occurrence in baseball, especially when they coincide with a move to a new league.

Last edited:
heres what you said .:rolleyes: quote-its more reasonable to assume an off year -end quote.so you did say something to the contrary.

Last edited:
heres what you said .:rolleyes: quote-its more reasonable to assume an off year -end quote.so you did say something to the contrary.
It is more reasonable, because it is far more common. But that doesn't mean any other assumption isn't valid.

It is more reasonable, because it is far more common. But that doesn't mean any other assumption isn't valid.
i thought you said you didn't say anything to the contrary ?no its not far more common players have off years .in fact most of the time a players performance goes down as they age..where do you get your crap?

Last edited:
i thought you said you didnt say anything to the contrary ?no its not far more common .players performance go down as they age most of the time .in fact its more common that a players performance go down because of age .where do you get this crap?
I never said that Drew being past his prime was an unreasonable explanation. I don't believe that is the case, but I didn't ever say that it was completely wrong.

And yes of course players performances decrease when they get older. But most players are not in the downward slope of their career at 31 years old.

I never said that Drew being past his prime was an unreasonable explanation. I don't believe that is the case, but I didn't ever say that it was completely wrong.

And yes of course players performances decrease when they get older. But most players are not in the downward slope of their career at 31 years old.
i never said you said that drew being past his prime was unreasonable .you said the reason for a players poor performance at drews age most of the time was the player just having a off year opposed to the players age being the reason.stop spinning .most of the time when a players performance does slip at 32 is hes past his prime not that hes just having a off year.

Last edited:
yes your right but the ones who are performing poorly do so because of age as compared to just having a off year.
Not always. Lowell had a terrible year in 2005 when he was 31 and followed it up with two seasons that were very good. Varitek, at 34, had a terrible 2006 and followed it up with a year more in line with his career norms.

Its more reasonable to assume an off year/adjustment year than to assume 31 is old.
this is what you said.its bull **** .its not more reasonable to assume a off year adjustment .its more reasonable to assume the player is past there prime.

Last edited:
Not always. Lowell had a terrible year in 2005 when he was 31 and followed it up with two seasons that were very good. Varitek, at 34, had a terrible 2006 and followed it up with a year more in line with his career norms.
i never said it didn't happen .but most of the time when a players performance slips at 32 its because hes past his prime ala Johnny Damon .that's why the redsox let Pedro and damon go and that's why they are reluctant to shell over the big bucks to guys at 32.and they will be even more reluctant after the drew signing

i never said it didn't happen .but most of the time when a players performance slips at 32 its because hes past his prime ala Johnny Damon .that's why the redsox let Pedro and damon go and that's why they are reluctant to shell over the big bucks to guys at 32.and they will be even more reluctant after the drew signing
Thats true. When a player like Damon has a bad year at 33 its less likely that he'll bounce back than a player like Drew at 31. Two years is a long time, especially given that Damon has put a tremendous amount of stress on his body throughout his career.

I don't agree with the notion that when a player has a bad year at 31 history suggests that he is most likely past his prime. Has it happened? Sure. But barring serious injuries, I can think of a lot more players who had bad years in their early 30s and rebounded than I can think of players who had bad years in their early 30s and never played well again.

Thats true. When a player like Damon has a bad year at 33 its less likely that he'll bounce back than a player like Drew at 31. Two years is a long time, especially given that Damon has put a tremendous amount of stress on his body throughout his career.

But barring serious injuries, .
when players get older they get hurt more often .thus performance declines .its more reasonable to assume a player is past his prime at 32 then to assume its just a off year.

when players get older they get hurt more often .thus performance declines .its more reasonable to assume a player is past his prime at 32 then to assume its just a off year.
What other players have had an poor year at age 31 (for a reason other than serious injury) and have never managed to come back and play to the same level they once did?

What other players have had an poor year at age 31 (for a reason other than serious injury) and have never managed to come back and play to the same level they once did?
sorry serious injury is part of ageing .the older a player gets the more they get injured.you cant exclude injuries just to try and make your argument .

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back