PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jacoby Brissett: The tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
He shows excellent, almost elite escape-ability in the pocket (there are some Joe Montana moments on the tapes), but he chooses to run too often. He is very shifty when running, but he is gonna get killed if he does this a lot in the NFL.

He has an amazingly powerful arm; too bad the Patriots don't have anyone who can get deep. He also shows some nice touch on the shorter stuff. It is hard to tell if he is good at looking off the safety, but it does not appears that he developed this skill yet.

He has excellent leadership skills. This guy is a keeper!

Jacoby Brissett Official Highlights | NC State QB | ACC Videos

Well I think drafting QBs makes for great preseason watching. There will not be a single offensive snap and preseason that i will not be looking forward to watching on offense.

Seeing Brady while i can. At this point I just enjoy every moment. What Jimmy G to see if he can make that jump and be the next guy after he flashed a few times and wonder what he can do if given the reigns. Now I will watch this kid of look to see if he has anything.

Personally I am not as excited for him as I was for Jimmy. He just does not look the Part. He looks fast and quick but not smooth when he moves (usually a bad sign). He seems to have a run first instinct mostly when things are not open early (something you hate in this QBs that have a history of running). I have think i have ever seen him scan the field and look at all 5 options.

I remember when I watched college tape of Kelly Olynyk...there were some Larry Bird moments. :rolleyes:
Our track record with drafting QBs is terrible. Until he shows us differently, Mr. Brisett is more Bishop/Davy/O'Connell to me than anyone who has played a meaningful snap in the NFL.
Having said that. I would not be surprised to see him involved in certain gadget packages that may simply validate him being drafted.

Our track record with drafting QBs is terrible.

You mean, besides...

uJec9uJ.gif

...the greatest of all time... ;)

I remember when I watched college tape of Kelly Olynyk...there were some Larry Bird moments. :rolleyes:
Our track record with drafting QBs is terrible. Until he shows us differently, Mr. Brisett is more Bishop/Davy/O'Connell to me than anyone who has played a meaningful snap in the NFL.
Having said that. I would not be surprised to see him involved in certain gadget packages that may simply validate him being drafted.

I don't watch basketball, but isn't Olynyk a starter (or whatever the equivalent is)? The headlines make him sound like one of Boston's best players.

As for our track record with drafting QBs...I'd say our only miss post-Cassel (post-2005, and it's definitely unfair to count picks before that, maybe even picks before 2010 when the drafting changed drastically in NE) was O'Connell. Which was a big miss. But so was most of that 2008 class, which one could argue was because we were so bad at drafting back then. Ryan Mallett wasn't even horrible in Baltimore, as much as I hated to see it. If Garoppolo flames out, I think you've got a point, but he hasn't yet.

Matt Cassel was an excellent draft pick. Got us to 11-5 and looked decent, that 7th rounder became a First accordingly

As well as there being four ex-Pat QBs starting during one week last season.

Brady, Cassell, Hoyer, Mallett.

If the Pats can't draft and development QBs I'd like to see who can.

Last edited:

IIRC, the 3rd QB isn't allowed to play in a game unless the 1 and 2 aren't playing. Could be wrong.

In my view, a QB who can/does run a lot doesn't seem like a fit for the Patriots. It usually means the planned play broke down, and the Pats offense is based on the plan being right and executed. IMO.

I would not be surprised to see him involved in certain gadget packages that may simply validate him being drafted.
I don't see it. Unless he can also line up as a receiver or can pick up a blitz as a running back then any gadget play would require taking the ball away from TB12. If you have the GoaT, You don't take him off the field. This year we will see him in the preseason, and he will get a lot of practice time as the scout team QB especially when preparing to play against mobile QBs.

He is a high character guy that came with an endorsement from Bill Parcells. I would bet the patriots coaching staff are looking to get him more comfortable in the pocket, and use his size and speed to extend the play Rogers style rather than run.

IIRC, the 3rd QB isn't allowed to play in a game unless the 1 and 2 aren't playing. Could be wrong.
This is an old rule, it was removed in 2011, now if the 3rd QB is going to be used at all he has to be on the active roster. If he is on the active roster they can use him any way they want.

As well as there being four ex-Pat QBS starting during one week last season.

Brady, Cassell, Hoyer, Mallett.

If the Pats can't draft and development QBs I'd like to see who can.

Agreed mate....some great minds on here, but there are also some who are so blinkered by negativity, you would think they were on a wind up...

Link to College-Football Reference Stats: Jacoby Brissett

Brissett comes from a school that produces good NFL QBs - Philip Rivers, Russell Wilson, Mike Glennon in TB. He had good games against Clemson (24-41, 3TD 0 INT) and UNC 17-37, 2TD,plus 128 rushing yards and 2TD), both elite college defenses.

Brissett had good numbers at NCSU against good competition. Easier to compare than Jimmy G. He completed 60% of his passes over two years, and ran the ball more than 9 times per game. He was durable and had consistent production during his junior and senior seasons - 52 TDs passing in 26 games.

I expect to be pleasantly surprised with the competition between Brissett and Garoppolo in camp to start week 1.

Last edited:
I expect to be pleasantly surprised with the competition between Brissett and Garoppolo in camp to start week 1.

I would be stunned if Brissett is even in the conversation for the starting role during Brady's suspension (assuming it is held up) Garoppolo has two years in the system. If Brady is out getting through the first 4 games will be all about trusting the system, and letting Gronk, Bennett, Hogan and what ever combination of Lewis, Edelman, and Amendola have two feet and two knees do their thing. Garoppolo is much more qualified at this point to run the system. 5 months is not enough time to learn the Patriots offense.

Yeah, I have to agree. This is to take nothing away from Brissett, but Jimmy G. knows the system. I am not even sure that the current Patriots offensive system is suitable for Jacoby. When the time comes, Josh will adjust the system for Jacoby, but the time is not now.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when BB and Josh evaluate Jacoby's accuracy compared to JimmyG.

Which ones were those?

Our track record with drafting QBs is terrible.

What is your expectation? In 17 years BB has drafted and developed the GoAT, a 7th rounder who had a very good year and converted into a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder who looks to be pretty decent.

How successful do you think other teams are at drafting QBs? I assure you it sucks worse than what this team is.

Until he shows us differently, Mr. Brisett is more Bishop/Davy/O'Connell to me than anyone who has played a meaningful snap in the NFL. Having said that. I would not be surprised to see him involved in certain gadget packages that may simply validate him being drafted.

Bishop was drafted by Grier. Davey was a bad pick but Cassel beat him out. O'Connell was bad...no question.

Qbs are coached better and more prepared for the NFL game. Brissett is better than the three you mention easily.

I don't see it. Unless he can also line up as a receiver or can pick up a blitz as a running back then any gadget play would require taking the ball away from TB12. If you have the GoaT, You don't take him off the field. This year we will see him in the preseason, and he will get a lot of practice time as the scout team QB especially when preparing to play against mobile QBs.

He is a high character guy that came with an endorsement from Bill Parcells. I would bet the patriots coaching staff are looking to get him more comfortable in the pocket, and use his size and speed to extend the play Rogers style rather than run.

This is an old rule, it was removed in 2011, now if the 3rd QB is going to be used at all he has to be on the active roster. If he is on the active roster they can use him any way they want.

They changed it when they increased the roster from 45+QB3 to 46.

Yeah, I have to agree. This is to take nothing away from Brissett, but Jimmy G. knows the system. I am not even sure that the current Patriots offensive system is suitable for Jacoby. When the time comes, Josh will adjust the system for Jacoby, but the time is not now.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when BB and Josh evaluate Jacoby's accuracy compared to JimmyG.

If Brady finishes out this deal, Jacoby won't be the starter either.

I would be stunned if Brissett is even in the conversation for the starting role during Brady's suspension (assuming it is held up) Garoppolo has two years in the system. If Brady is out getting through the first 4 games will be all about trusting the system, and letting Gronk, Bennett, Hogan and what ever combination of Lewis, Edelman, and Amendola have two feet and two knees do their thing. Garoppolo is much more qualified at this point to run the system. 5 months is not enough time to learn the Patriots offense.

If Brissett beats out Jimmy G then we have a special player.

I wouldn't hold my breath though, Brady wouldn't have been able to run the offense his first year.

He's been under attack in vids I've seen. Not his fault, I'd run too. what choice did he have?

I don't watch basketball, but isn't Olynyk a starter (or whatever the equivalent is)? The headlines make him sound like one of Boston's best players.

As for our track record with drafting QBs...I'd say our only miss post-Cassel (post-2005, and it's definitely unfair to count picks before that, maybe even picks before 2010 when the drafting changed drastically in NE) was O'Connell. Which was a big miss. But so was most of that 2008 class, which one could argue was because we were so bad at drafting back then. Ryan Mallett wasn't even horrible in Baltimore, as much as I hated to see it. If Garoppolo flames out, I think you've got a point, but he hasn't yet.
KO? Nah he's a bench player and he's just okay. But, it's very difficult to compare the two sports when it comes to the draft. Just too different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back