PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jackson's Hamstring Injury - Grade 2 or 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Been do some searching on this injury.

Question - when did it first happen?
Chad wasn't ready to go on start of TC. I thought I read somewhere
is happened around mini camp close in June.

If so then he was out for around 5 weeks before he tried to come back.
If so he is now going on 8 weeks or so. If it is a grade 3 then it looks like 12
weeks or 3 months would be recovery time looking at reports below.

From info on recovery time on hamstring injuries this looks like a grade 3,
the worst hamstring injury graded and around 2 - 3 months recovery time.

Also read usually Grade 3 require crutches in early weeks which he was
not on during TC. But if it happened several weeks before TC no one may
have seen.

One article said the average NFL hamstring injury recovery time is 14 days.

here are a few articles on the subject:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/back/hamstrings/hamstringstrain.htm

http://www.emoryhealthcare.org/departments/sports/sub_menu/hamstring.html

Everything I read seems to indicate this was a severe hamstring injury.
I don't like what I've read. I hope it is only a grade 2. It certainly is
not a grade 1.
In a grade 3 which can be 3 months or more ... the muscle may not retattach like it ws before the injury as there is scaring in the healing
process.

Last edited:
You can't research something that you have no information on. It's a waste of time. We have no clue.

Last edited by a moderator:
BelichickFan said:
You can't research something that you have no information on. It's a waste of time. We have no clue.

But we do have some info which is length of time he has been out.

Now it is not conclusive information but from searching it says this is no
simple 14 day recovery hamstring injury and the longer it takes the more
it points to a severe hamstring injury.

I'm sure this has probably been posted, but in Reiss' mailbag, he referenes a Yahoo! article about the Patriots, where I guy has some info on Chad's injury, which I found highly interesting, mostly in that its the first I've heard of it (article dated 8/13)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-observations081206&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Patriots second-round pick Chad Jackson, a wide receiver from Florida who is trying to break UF's run of inconsistent players at that position, isn't off to a good start because of a hamstring injury.

Jackson was hurt in June when the Patriots did a surprise 40-yard dash test where all the players were timed. Jackson told friends that he wasn't training for the 40 and didn't warm up properly before running and getting hurt. Jackson re-injured the hamstring during the first two days of training camp.

Kind of lame if that's how he initially hurt it, a random 40-yd dash. That's def. something players should be properly stretching, etc. for, IMO. Esp. when they are just in training camp.

JR4 said:
But we do have some info which is length of time he has been out.

Now it is not conclusive information but from searching it says this is no
simple 14 day recovery hamstring injury and the longer it takes the more
it points to a severe hamstring injury.
You're wasting your time. It could be a bad thing that will keep him out 2 more months or a not so bad thing and he'll return tomorrow. Not to mention that the Grades are just basic levels with lots of different levels of severity in between. He'll be back when he's back.

tombonneau said:
I'm sure this has probably been posted, but in Reiss' mailbag, he referenes a Yahoo! article about the Patriots, where I guy has some info on Chad's injury, which I found highly interesting, mostly in that its the first I've heard of it (article dated 8/13)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-observations081206&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Kind of lame if that's how he initially hurt it, a random 40-yd dash. That's def. something players should be properly stretching, etc. for, IMO. Esp. when they are just in training camp.

Ok this confirms intial injury time frame. It means he was rehabing for about
5 weeks minimum before he tried to return. This was no simple hamstring
injury and it looks like at least grade 2 maybe grade 3.

BelichickFan said:
You're wasting your time. It could be a bad thing that will keep him out 2 more months or a not so bad thing and he'll return tomorrow. Not to mention that the Grades are just basic levels with lots of different levels of severity in between. He'll be back when he's back.

To gain a better understanding of the possiblilites of a hamstring injury
is hardly a waste of time. Perhaps you know it all .. fine. But for some
of us who do not know the possibilities information is hardly a waste
of time.... lighten up.

Last edited:
JR4 said:
Ok this confirms intial injury time frame. It means he was rehabing for about
5 weeks minimum before he tried to return. This was no simple hamstring
injury and it looks like at least grade 2 maybe grade 3.

There were no organized team activities for 5 weeks for him to try to return to. But hey, if engaging in half-assed detective work makes you happy knock yourself out. :rolleyes:

MoLewisrocks said:
There were no organized team activities for 5 weeks for him to try to return to. But hey, if engaging in half-assed detective work makes you happy knock yourself out. :rolleyes:
Thanks for your permission ... :rocker:

JR4 said:
To gain a better understanding of the possiblilites of a hamstring injury
is hardly a waste of time. Perhaps you know it all .. fine. But for some
of us who do not know the possibilities information is hardly a waste
of time.... lighten up.
BelichickFan is right. Hamstring injuries come in a continous sprectrum of severities. You can't extrapolate how much longer he will be out based on how long he has been out so far. The grades are simply a way of grading the injury into ranges. It's like saying foothills are 0-2000 feet, low mountains are 2001-5000 feet, and high mountains are over 5000 feet. That doesn't mean mountains don't come in all heights.

PromisedLand said:
BelichickFan is right. Hamstring injuries come in a continous sprectrum of severities. You can't extrapolate how much longer he will be out based on how long he has been out so far. The grades are simply a way of grading the injury into ranges. It's like saying foothills are 0-2000 feet, low mountains are 2001-5000 feet, and high mountains are over 5000 feet. That doesn't mean mountains don't come in all heights.

I have not extrapolated at all. I have made no predictions.

I Just presented information found about hamstring injuries and the possibilities. I knew he could be on the field tomorrow.
But I did not know if it was severe it could up to three months or more. There may be a few
here that also didn't know the full extent. So why assume just because
you know all about hamstring injuries, if you did, everyone else should?

Last edited:
Maybe BB can rush him back and reaggravate it like TO just did :p

i'm sorry, but what was the point of this thread?

d%#*!@t JR, you know your only supposed to be talking about Branch's hold out now. Sheesh, I'll bet you don't even own a Ty Law comeback jersey, do you? :rolleyes:

I put the over/under for the number of catches Jackson makes in 2006 at 17.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well yeah if you've ever tweaked a hammy the average out time of 2 weeks makes a lot of sense. This looks a lot more severe. How much so, who knows. Just praying he'll be back soon, because this kid by all reports was really impressing in minicamp with his hands and ability. It's a shame CJ got hurt in a meaningless thing like a surprise 40 yard run. We already know how FAST he is for crying out loud, he burnt rubber at the combine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes