Welcome to PatsFans.com

Jackson to PUP list (no big surprise, no big deal)...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by patsox23, Jul 24, 2007.

1. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1013071

2. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

NO big deal at all....in fact when I say that, I thought that maybe they had made a preemptive move to PUP reserve....but..just reg PUP..NO surprise whatsoever...I expect a few will be on the list..
  3. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

There is ACL cliche #1 in print. Next we'll hear "his surgically repaired knee is actually stronger now then before." These 2 lines are written about every ACL recovery - they are usually not true.

With the WR corp the Pats have lined up for the season, Jackson can take the time really required to recover - which often is more than 12 months and would mean he misses the season.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  4. rookBoston

rookBoston Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

no surprise, but I'd call it a big deal... he's a 2nd round pick, and a glimmer of what we hoped he'd be to this point in his career. Consider where Branch was by the offseason of his 2nd year; we were already convinced he could replace Troy Brown on the team... and we were right.
  5. Armen Da Pats Fan

Armen Da Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

With all the recievers we have in camp now - proven NFL guys like Welker, Moss, Stallworth, Brown, Gaffney & Caldwell - how was a kid like Jackson, who can't seem to a) learn the offense or b) stay out of the trainer's room, going to make this club anyway?

I think this is the preemptive move to his eventual release.

Too bad because I had such high hopes for him coming out of Florida. I thought he was gonna be an NFL burner. Instead, he has been an NFL bust.

ADPF
  6. cloud34

cloud34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There is no way he is released. First of all, even with the draft class of 2007 and the UDFA's, he is still the youngest player on the roster. And with what I believe to be only 3 wr's signed beyond 2007 (Jackson being one of them), I believe he will be a big part of this team's future beginning next year.
  7. NYCPatsFan

NYCPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

I agree for most part but think it might still be a bit early to call him a bust. Feel disappointed and sad for him.

Hope that his lack of immaturity, attitude etc - as claimed by Peter King on SI last year without giving any background on what happened - will not be a distraction now that he is on PUP. I hope...
  8. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +709 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

No, say it ain't so!
  9. Gon_Trevil

Gon_Trevil Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Lack of immaturity? Awesome :rocker:
  10. sieglo

sieglo Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

No way he gets released. That would be like releasing Ben Watkins because he spent his first year rehabbing. Pure stupidity.

The guy has been injured. He may be a bit slow in picking up the offense, but it takes more than a few games for most. He'll get his chance to play for this team.
  11. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

This is actually good news. He is on Pup for up to week 6. By that time we can see who the others are performing or we could have one WR go down. So, here comes Jackson.

I wouldn't be surprised if Troy is PUP'ed also.
  12. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -1

Yeah, we'll need another CB by then if our recent secondary injury history is any indication...
  13. Displaced - Fan

Displaced - Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's some funny stuff right there. Release a second round pick after one season of development :singing:

To even suggest it is comical.
  14. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0

Oh would you please? Just relax.
  15. PatsFan37

PatsFan37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -1

#37 Jersey

Now that's an interesting point. He's rehabbing, he's doesn't need the reps, he certainly doesn't need two-a-days (not that he'd BB would make him do that) and it would allow them to keep one more WR and have Troy as insurance against injury and/or disappointment in one of starters. At the six-week point, they'll cut their least-regarded WR and bring Troy in.

I have no idea what they'll do with Jackson at six weeks, but we don't know who will be healthy and on the team at that point.
  16. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +709 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

There's also some sorta transitional PUP that allows status review and re-instatement before game one as well. I forget the details.

Once more I plead for a FAQ section where items like PUP (once explained by Miguel) could be posted forever so that the aging fans like myself could refresh their memories.

EDIT: Thanks Pats726 (next post) for the preseason PUP reminder and the PUP rules in general.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  17. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Actually NOT true...He is only on the preseason PUP...and therefore he MAY be put on the reserve PUP at some point..when I first saw the thread I thought it was the RESERVE PUP...but no..only the active preseason PUP..which was VERY MUCH expected..I would think Eddie Jackson would follow OR he might go straight to the RESERVE PUP. I think there will be a few on this list..always are a few..and certainly others who are NOT practicing at the start ARE also eligible for the RESERVE PUP list..remember once a player practices, his PUP eligibility disappears. Cut??? Not at all...THAT WOULD be a big surprise!!
  18. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

Man, ADPF, nothing like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Do you always over-react like this?

According to Jackson's previous coaches, his 1st year was always tough, but he always came through in his second season. He suffered a FLUKE ACL tear cover a kick-off on special teams, a position he earned, btw, not was reduced to the way some people think.

Also, how can you call the guy a bust already? Even BB says you can't judge a player for 3 years.
  19. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

I think you are right about Eddie Jackson, though, the original reports said that Eddie wouldn't be ready for this season at all. Maybe he will be back sooner than expect.

OH, and DHamz, I had an ACL and my NEW ACL IS stronger than the one in my left knee. I can tell this by the movements that the doctor does with it.
  20. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Like you I really don't get people who are calling him a bust (some even before now) and think the Patriots should/will cut him soon.

It's like the people who don't put Kareem Brown on the 53. The Patriots are going to cut their fourth round pick and allow him to hit Waivers? Sure!