Welcome to PatsFans.com

Jackson injury puts Pats in WR hunt

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Denism, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Denism

Denism Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

By John Tomase
  2. italian pat patriot

italian pat patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

i'm interested, too, to see if CJ injury is really going to change the draft

i would have prefered with the first two picks a LB and S or CB - not a WR...

but now i'm not so sure anymore

so: i'm curious too to see

i hope CJ will recover well first of all - he is still very young
  3. satz

satz Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I believe that the first rounders should be of position which are very expensive in FA and quality is not available.CB , WR ,QB makes more sense as you get a solid starter for 5-6 yrs instead of a 4 yr deal for other rounds and 3 in the lower and udfa. even after 2 yr of development you get a good starter for 3 yrs rather than 1 or 2....
  4. marty

marty Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Being a UNH alumni, I've been in the Ball camp for a while now. But word is he may not have the speed/quickness needed for NFL? Love everything else about the guy, attitude, work ethic, soft hands etc, would really like to see him get a shot in a Pats uni!
  5. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

What I've read suggests his greatest asset is his ability to spot a football in the air and track it into his hands - speed, route running, etc. are all reportedly below average. I'd like to see him get a shot, just as I'd still like to see David Hass escape from Chicago and wind up competing on a Pats' practice field. If Ball doesn't get a job here, the Air Force should grab a natural air defense officer.
  6. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Tomase mentioned Wayne Chrebet as a comp with Anthony Gonzalez. Maybe Ball could also be compared with Chrebet? I've never seen Ball play. Sounds like a lot of college WRs to look at this year.
  7. NE_PATS_FAN_54

NE_PATS_FAN_54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 3 / -1

#70 Jersey

8. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +330 / 20 / -48

#50 Jersey

Where did you hear that, BOR? NFLDraftScout says that his hands and route running are very good, though they do mention he will occasionally round off a cut.
  9. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +599 / 20 / -14

I dont get this.
    First, I have seen NOWHERE what the prognosis for Jackson recovery time is.
    Now to say we need to draft a WR in the first round to replace a SECOND round pick for anywhere from no time to part of season seems foolish to me.

IMO, if Chad Jackson is expected to a future #1 receiver for this team if he misses all of 2007, that still doesnt mean you have to go find another future # 1 receiver.
    IMO, drafts are NEVER about one year. And especially you don't draft a player to fill a hole, specifcally in his rookie year.

If the Pats feel the WR position WITH Jackson indicates the need to use a high pick on a WR they will. If they feel with him they do not need to but without him they would, an injury that could affect this year will have no bearing on that.
  10. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +83 / 4 / -0

An interesting tidbit in the article was that Jackson had his surgery FOUR DAYS after the injury. Now, we have no sense of the time table really, but I read a few ACL rehab articles, and each suggested that surgery happens no sooner than a month after the injury...not sure what to make of that...but at the very least, it moves the time table, whatever it is, up a month.
  11. GHOSTOFSAMGASH

GHOSTOFSAMGASH Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Im pretty sure they were in the hunt for a wr before CJ got hurt. Just because other good wrs have had bad first years and then come back to be great doesnt mean CJ will. I personally think he will be very good, but im sure they were going to be in the wr hunt and did not want to rely too much on CJ next year even if he hadnt gotten hurt
  12. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I'd have to go back and try to recreate my reading, I expect sites to update as those who watch film get caught up, so the write-ups could reflect what you're describing. I liked what little I saw in whichever bowl game he was in - I've got to go back and watch those games, now that I'm starting to build boards based on my reading I can try and judge for myself.