PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jackson, Cassel, Hobson survive first cutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castle is beyond horrendous in each and every way. Every game i watch a game that he's in, i feel compelled to go do the dishes or mow the lawn.

Chad Jackson is a glass bust and has never made a play that the average NFL receiver couldn't make.

It's time to cut our losses. I've had it with these numskulls.

Last edited:
I know it's fashionable to claim Cassel has regressed. I just don't know a)what folks believe they can base that assessment on given his rather unique (aside from Sorgi) circumstances or b)how dumb they think BB must be to have retained him this far if he actually was regressing... A lot more goes into coaching assessments than the limited minutes any of these backups spend on the field in actual game conditions. Otherwise Bam Childress would probably still be here...
Having finished watching the 3rd game last night, I have these thoughts on Cassel: Most of the time, he looked poor and a few of his passes were abysmal. OTOH, the last series of the first half he looked quite good with accurate passes, nice movement in the pocket, not staring down receivers. The start of the second half he was absolutely screwed by penalties and other mishaps. OTOH, he wasn't effective at helping the offense get out of those holes either.

Gute looked good in many instances. At the same time, he takes incredible risks with the ball and BB would need a case of antacid to put the guy on the field. How many times, I lost count, was he running for cover and tossing the ball into the air to no one in particular. You do that against a first string defense and they will catch it and take it back for six.

For all that I'm unhappy with Cassel as a backup, Gute has a scary lack of discipline. He made some great throws under pressure. The fade to Jackson was a thing of beauty. He moves well in the pocket, looks off safeties (believe it or not, I watched for that), sees the field and throws well. I don't want to see him cut, he'll never pass waivers. But if he has to take the field in a real game, he'll turn the ball over until he reins in that impulse to throw it up for grabs.

On another note, anyone thinking Eckel had a prayer of displacing Evans was not paying attention. Evans is gold. He won't outrun anyone smaller than a LB, but he can catch, get a few yards and he can block. Once again, he looked impressive.

On another note, anyone thinking Eckel had a prayer of displacing Evans was not paying attention. Evans is gold. He won't outrun anyone smaller than a LB, but he can catch, get a few yards and he can block. Once again, he looked impressive.

Amen. Evans fan right here. He's does invisibility well, which is important in our game. Like the O-Line, if they're not sucking, you'll barely notice them. Evans would make the team even if there needed to be only 3 RB's, imo.

Last edited:
Whether Jackson (or any other player) is cut is a function of his on field play, his off field smarts and effort, and, last, but not least, his position in the draft. Jackson is likely to stick one more year because he was a second rounder.

His draft position will have no bearing on whether he stays. He was drafted a lifetime ago in NFL terms.

The team is going to carry backup WRs. The reason he'll probably make it is there is no one else pushing him for that roster spot. If there was an UDFA or a veteran castaway who was playing lights out at WR, Jackson would be gone in a second no matter where he was drafted 3 drafts ago. But there isn't and he probably won't be cut.

Last edited:
Having finished watching the 3rd game last night, I have these thoughts on Cassel: Most of the time, he looked poor and a few of his passes were abysmal. OTOH, the last series of the first half he looked quite good with accurate passes, nice movement in the pocket, not staring down receivers. The start of the second half he was absolutely screwed by penalties and other mishaps. OTOH, he wasn't effective at helping the offense get out of those holes either.

Gute looked good in many instances. At the same time, he takes incredible risks with the ball and BB would need a case of antacid to put the guy on the field. How many times, I lost count, was he running for cover and tossing the ball into the air to no one in particular. You do that against a first string defense and they will catch it and take it back for six.

For all that I'm unhappy with Cassel as a backup, Gute has a scary lack of discipline. He made some great throws under pressure. The fade to Jackson was a thing of beauty. He moves well in the pocket, looks off safeties (believe it or not, I watched for that), sees the field and throws well. I don't want to see him cut, he'll never [/]pass waivers. But if he has to take the field in a real game, he'll turn the ball over until he reins in that impulse to throw it up for grabs.

I think Cassel is somewhat hamstrung by events beyond his control including OL play and scripted game plans early in these pre season games that are not necessarily designed to work so much as assess. I think he takes his responsibility to run this offense quite seriously and has virtually abandoned the natural instinct to save himself. I think Gutierrez performance in game 3 against scrubs was all about taking risks to make plays and saving himself... I think if you watch a lot of pre season games you see lots of that, and most of it makes it's way to a PS.

Brady and Cassel passed incumbants in camp rather handily and obviously. I just don't see that has happened this season. Cassel has struggled to move the team within rigidly prescribed parameters facing starting top flight defenses, and while he's made a couple of poor throws he hasn't really made many bad decisions. Gutierrez has managed to move the offense vs. other backups, but he has also taken more chances and made more poor decisions in the process. Maybe he's really better than that, but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that. I think he more than Cassel has felt the pressure of the 3rd round rookie selection and allowed that to effect him. I base that not just on his last appearance but his first as well as his camp performances.

You can't say Brady never takes risks. He leaves a chunk of the battle up to his receivers. How often did we see Moss yank a ball out of double and even triple coverage or in crowded end zones?

Letting that ball go is a risk. Period. I'd like some time to see if those mad throws turn out to be more like killer instincts, personally.

I'll be shocked if Cassel is still here next week.

I think Gutierrez performance in game 3 against scrubs was all about taking risks to make plays and saving himself... I think if you watch a lot of pre season games you see lots of that, and most of it makes it's way to a PS.

Gutierrez has managed to move the offense vs. other backups, but he has also taken more chances and made more poor decisions in the process. Maybe he's really better than that, but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that. I think he more than Cassel has felt the pressure of the 3rd round rookie selection and allowed that to effect him. I base that not just on his last appearance but his first as well as his camp performances.

Although you can ignore his (motivational based and non-critical) praise of individual players, people need to listen to what BB says about football. He explained quite definitively that the coaches take very seriously each play in camp in evaluating players. Then they contrast that with how they perform in actual games. I thought Gutz would challenge Cassel more strongly this summer but reluctantly agree that this year he has not exhibited improved decision making both in camp and in games.

Bad decision making is a fatal deficiency in a QB for BB. Remember the spectacular 'plays' from Michael Bishop to win summer games late in the 4th QTR? Such 'make a play' histrionics is not what BB wants in a QB.

Last edited:
Cassell is toast, and by next week we can drop this silly discussion.

Jackson is more interesting, as he has flashed his up side but still contributes less (including ST skills and WR) than ventrone, Slater and even CJ Jones. BB will take into account who will make the team better, period. His draft position is worth goose eggs in this decision.

I'm just waiting for the annual Chad Jackson will blow up thread. Followed shortly by the Chad Jackson is a bust thread. There are few players that polarize the opinions of Pats fans as much as this enigmatic young WR.

Sounds like Bethel Johnson part II ;)

Sure, Belichick and Pioli never make mistakes, so anyone criticizing any player on the roster has to be a jerk.

I'm just wondering do you folks still think Doug Gabriel, Donald Hayes, Monty Beisel, and Duane Starks are good or at least decent players? If you don't, when did you change your mind, the day Belichick cut them from the team?

BINGO!!!

I have been saying that for awhile now - Belichick fuks up with many FAs and fairly high draft picks like all other coaches do - Belichick is far from god like some think here

You also forgot BB trying to resurrect Chad Brown's early days by signing him and possibly making the dumb move in moving up to get Chad Jackson who is questionable at best right now and of course this bum Cassel who sucks without a doubt!

Really no one can argue with your post except to bring up the 3 SB rings and the fact that even though BB does pick wrong players sometimes he is still one of the best at his job but he is A HUMAN not god and he will screw up at times with selecting players who are duds.

There is NOT ONE coach who is even near perfect in this league,BB just happens to be better than most if not all of them - lets get that fact right

Last edited:
I think Cassel is somewhat hamstrung by events beyond his control including OL play and scripted game plans early in these pre season games that are not necessarily designed to work so much as assess. I think he takes his responsibility to run this offense quite seriously and has virtually abandoned the natural instinct to save himself. I think Gutierrez performance in game 3 against scrubs was all about taking risks to make plays and saving himself... I think if you watch a lot of pre season games you see lots of that, and most of it makes it's way to a PS.

Brady and Cassel passed incumbants in camp rather handily and obviously. I just don't see that has happened this season. Cassel has struggled to move the team within rigidly prescribed parameters facing starting top flight defenses, and while he's made a couple of poor throws he hasn't really made many bad decisions. Gutierrez has managed to move the offense vs. other backups, but he has also taken more chances and made more poor decisions in the process. Maybe he's really better than that, but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that. I think he more than Cassel has felt the pressure of the 3rd round rookie selection and allowed that to effect him. I base that not just on his last appearance but his first as well as his camp performances.

I have struggled to defend Cassel who is "executing the Offense" given him to run, without free-lancing much. The coaches dealt him a dirty hand to play. No Offensive line, throw repeatedly to fourth, fifth and sixth receivers because we have to evaluate them. No game planning; so the opposition knows exactly what you are going to do. Then they contantly call line bucks at the weakest Oline players, to measure them and test the backs.

Cassel has gotten the $hitty end of the stick, constantly facing 2-10, 3-15, or 3-20, against the other guy's first string. On occasion, he has triumphed and gotten a good play or two together, only to have the drive wiped out with a penalty.

Yet he hasn't thrown many INTs; nor gone crazy gambling to complete passes by putting it up there like more immature
Gutz has done or the rook.

To me that shows discipline and pluck. It may cost him his job in the eyes of the fans, but Belichick is a much wiser man. Bill doesn't like the adventurism; and for KOC, he merely smiles and tolerates in the rookie, what he would condemn in either Cassel or Gutierrez, who should know better. Cassel has kept his mouth closed, and done the job assigned to him, without complaint.

What have we here?

BadMoFo...

let me be the first to say:
bringing one thread back from the dead is cool...bringing two is sometimes better...

but now i think i count at LEAST 4....

more then enough

BadMoFo...

let me be the first to say:
bringing one thread back from the dead is cool...bringing two is sometimes better...

but now i think i count at LEAST 4....

more then enough

I should have saved some for next week, ya think?

This old thread bumping blows.

I should have saved some for next week, ya think?

Why because we might beat the mighty Dolphins? - I bet you shut up and stop with bumping threads as soon as the team loses a game - Guaranteed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back