PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jackson and Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

Virtual Internet Person
Reaction score
I realize there are already several threads on the Deion Branch situation, but I'd like to look at it from a slightly different angle which hasn't been talked about, to my knowledge. And that is this:

Chad Jackson could be the key to resolving the Deion Branch situation.

Before you jump down my throat, let me hasten to add that yes, I know he's just a rookie and yes, I know that rookie WR's don't usually produce a lot in their first year.

HOWEVER ...

Chad Jackson is extremely talented. We have seen him win the "hands" competition and we have heard how well he did in minicamps. Now imagine he had come to training camp healthy and remained healthy. Imagine he had turned heads during practices and had played against Atlanta with the first team, catching 7 or 8 balls for 90 yards. This is not beyond the realm of possibility: Terry Glenn had 90 catches for over 1100 yards as a rookie for the Patriots in 1996.

How different would things look now? How different would the mood of the team, the media, and the staff be now? We'd have a much more optimistic situation. You'd believe that Caldwell, Jackson, and Troy between them could do a very decent job of holding down the fort until the cavelry arrives. You'd be hearing the players say things like, "Obviously we want to Deion to be here - obviously he's our #1 receiver, but we have a lot of other talented players here, and until Deion gets here we'll be OK with the guys we have."

Imagine now if you will, the effect this would be having on Deion. Right now, Jackson's absense is fortifying his position, and fortifying his belief that the team cannot get along without him and will cave. He may be hoping they will lose 2 or 3 of their first 3 or 4 games and will panic and give him the deal he wants. He may at least be waiting to see if that happens. And without Jackson stepping up, there is certainly a better chance that will happen.

But suppose Jackson comes back next week and starts to look as talented as Maroney. Supposing he contributes an acrobatic catch and/or a long run next week against Arizona. Now Branch has to start worrying. He has to start thinking, "Yikes, this kid is really good, maybe they can get along without me!" If I continue to sit out, I'll not only look like a jerk, I'll not only lose my salary to fines, but I may even lose my starting job!"

That's why I think Jackson, potentially, could be the key to resolving the Branch situation sooner rather than later. Of course this is highly speculative, but we know Chad is highly talented. What we don't know is how hurt he is and how long it will take him to figure out how to play against NFL caliber competition. But if it is sooner rather than later, Branch may come to his senses, or knees, sooner rather than later as well. And even if he doesn't, we'll be a lot better off at wide receiver.

Chad Jackson may or may not be the solution to the Deion Branch conundrum.

But why take the chance??

We have arguably the best QB in NFL history and I thought we are screwing him around.

It is just like the 49ers trading away Jerry Rice at the prime of Joe Montana's career.

But why??

Why take the chance of getting another Duane Starks???

Why throw away our best opportunity to win another Lombardi?

Brady is 29-years-old.

He is at the peak of his career, and we are giving him free-agent discards Reche Caldwell and Eddie Berlin?

Our best chance to grab another Lombardi is NOW.

There is no "long-term" strategy.

We should give Brady the best WRs NOW to take opportunity of having the best QB if NFL history.

Last edited:
PromisedLand said:
That's why I think Jackson, potentially, could be the key to resolving the Branch situation sooner rather than later. Of course this is highly speculative, but we know Chad is highly talented. What we don't know is how hurt he is and how long it will take him to figure out how to play against NFL caliber competition. But if it is sooner rather than later, Branch may come to his senses, or knees, sooner rather than later as well. And even if he doesn't, we'll be a lot better off at wide receiver.

:agree:

Here's hoping Jackson has a speedy recovery.

mikey said:

We have arguably the best QB in NFL history and I thought we are screwing him around.

It is just like the 49ers trading away Jerry Rice at the prime of Joe Montana's career.

But why??

Brady is 29-years-old.

He is at the peak of his career, and we are giving him free-agent discards Reche Caldwell and Eddie Berlin?

We should give Brady the best WRs NOW to take opportunity of having the best QB if NFL history.

First of all you instantly lose credibility when you compare Deion Branch to Jerry Rice. Deion is a slightly above average number 1 receiver; Jerry Rice is the greatest receiver in history. Rice was not replaceable; Branch is, and will be if he maintains his current negotiating stance.

Second, I never said Jackson is the "solution", which would imply that he could immediately step in as Branch's replacement. He is not equivalent. What I did say is that he is the "key", because if he starts to produce and look good our wide receiver situation will suddenly look a lot less desparate to both sides.

mikey said:

But why??

Brady is 29-years-old.

Why give into somebody who is under contract? And a good contract offer was made to?

mikey said:

But why??

Brady is 29-years-old.

Mikey, you are absolutely the worst chicken little on this forum. We're not trading Branch, we're not taking a chance. HE is holding out despite being under contract and despite having been offered what is, if what his own AGENT said is accurate, a very fair deal.

Mikey, you say they're screwing around with Brady by not giving Branch what he wants, but let's get specific. All he's asked for at this point is one thing, a promise not to put the franchise tag on him next year. Would you have the Patriots grant him that promise at this time just to get him into camp now? I'm just wondering exactly where you stand.

mikey said:

But why??

Brady is 29-years-old.

So you want to give Branch 8-9 million a year? Aint gonna happen. We wont get Porter, we wont get Lelie. Maybe a veteran but not those two. Jackson is questionable. Pats have other targets on offense that are not Wide Recievers. People seem to give up on Caldwell after ONE DROP, ONE measly drop, ONE. He can still very well be the replacement of David Givens.

Lelie wont come because he wants to be a #1 reciever, aint gonna happen.

Porter wont come because the Raiders wont ship him.

A veteran could come but dont expect him to be amazing.

Branch isnt going to get 8-9 million a year. Its beyond stupid to give him that kind of money.

Not overpaying Deion Branch to the point where he has one of the top 10 Wide reciever salaries is a good idea. But ofcourse the Patriots are screwing with Brady because they dont wish to give Branch a HUGE deak like that, which is extremely beneficial to Branch and really barely beneficial to the Patriots.

Last edited:
PromisedLand said:
I realize there are already several threads on the Deion Branch situation, but I'd like to look at it from a slightly different angle which hasn't been talked about, to my knowledge. And that is this:

Chad Jackson could be the key to resolving the Deion Branch situation.

Before you jump down my throat, let me hasten to add that yes, I know he's just a rookie and yes, I know that rookie WR's don't usually produce a lot in their first year.

HOWEVER ...

Chad Jackson is extremely talented. We have seen him win the "hands" competition and we have heard how well he did in minicamps. Now imagine he had come to training camp healthy and remained healthy. Imagine he had turned heads during practices and had played against Atlanta with the first team, catching 7 or 8 balls for 90 yards. This is not beyond the realm of possibility: Terry Glenn had 90 catches for over 1100 yards as a rookie for the Patriots in 1996.

How different would things look now? How different would the mood of the team, the media, and the staff be now? We'd have a much more optimistic situation. You'd believe that Caldwell, Jackson, and Troy between them could do a very decent job of holding down the fort until the cavelry arrives. You'd be hearing the players say things like, "Obviously we want to Deion to be here - obviously he's our #1 receiver, but we have a lot of other talented players here, and until Deion gets here we'll be OK with the guys we have."

Imagine now if you will, the effect this would be having on Deion. Right now, Jackson's absense is fortifying his position, and fortifying his belief that the team cannot get along without him and will cave. He may be hoping they will lose 2 or 3 of their first 3 or 4 games and will panic and give him the deal he wants. He may at least be waiting to see if that happens. And without Jackson stepping up, there is certainly a better chance that will happen.

But suppose Jackson comes back next week and starts to look as talented as Maroney. Supposing he contributes an acrobatic catch and/or a long run next week against Arizona. Now Branch has to start worrying. He has to start thinking, "Yikes, this kid is really good, maybe they can get along without me!" If I continue to sit out, I'll not only look like a jerk, I'll not only lose my salary to fines, but I may even lose my starting job!"

I hope you are right but until Jackson actually gets on the field and practices it's completely pointless to speculate how much he can contribute this year. And frankly, if he can't stay healthy now I'm wondering how in the world he's going to stay healthy when the season starts and the intensity ramps up 100 times over.

Last edited:
SoonerPatriot said:
I hope you are right but until Jackson actually gets on the field and practices it's completely pointless to speculate how much he can contribute this year. And frankly, if he can't stay healthy now I'm wondering how in the world he's going to stay healthy when the season starts and the intensity ramps up 100 times over.

Bingo! Jackson is on pace to get enough reps to learn our system by March.

SoonerPatriot said:
That's a little unfair. Wide receivers pull hammies all the time - that doesn't mean he's injury prone. TO has also been on a bike all preseason - do you think he is not going to contribute to the Boys this year? Or for a more apropros example, you might remember Terry "Teary" Glenn had a hammy his first preseason too. (You do remember Tuna responding to a reporter's question about his status, "She's doing fine"?) All Glenn did that year was break the NFL rookie record for receptions with 90 for 1132 yards.

As I said, we don't know how injured Jackson is or when he will be ready to join the team. For all we know he could be at practice tomorrow morning.

And as far as being pointless to speculate, that's what we do here. Lots and lots of speculation.

shakadave said:
Bingo! Jackson is on pace to get enough reps to learn our system by March.
He hasn't been holding out, he can be doing a lot of learning without being on the field.

PromisedLand said:
That's a little unfair.
It's not a little unfair, it's just ignorant. As you said, hamstring pulls happen it doesn't make the player injury prone, weak or anything. It happens.

PromisedLand said:
That's a little unfair. Wide receivers pull hammies all the time - that doesn't mean he's injury prone. TO has also been on a bike all preseason - do you think he is not going to contribute to the Boys this year? Or for a more apropros example, you might remember Terry "Teary" Glenn had a hammy his first preseason too. (You do remember Tuna responding to a reporter's question about his status, "She's doing fine"?) All Glenn did that year was break the NFL rookie record for receptions with 90 for 1132 yards.

As I said, we don't know how injured Jackson is or when he will be ready to join the team. For all we know he could be at practice tomorrow morning.

And as far as being pointless to speculate, that's what we do here. Lots and lots of speculation.

I hope he is practicing tommorow. But right now, it's hard to gauge home much he will contribute this season since he is not practicing and apparently has an injury significant enough to keep him out for all but 2 or 3 practices so far. He's behind. Can he catch up? Absolutely. But until then, how can anyone say he'll be good for X number of catches and yards this year?

BelichickFan said:
It's not a little unfair, it's just ignorant. As you said, hamstring pulls happen it doesn't make the player injury prone, weak or anything. It happens.

Never said he was injury prone. Never said he was weak. Never said he had a fake smile, either.

SoonerPatriot said:
I hope he is practicing tommorow. But right now, it's hard to gauge home much he will contribute this season since he is not practicing and apparently has an injury significant enough to keep him out for all but 2 or 3 practices so far. He's behind. Can he catch up? Absolutely. But until then, how can anyone say he'll be good for X number of catches and yards this year?
You're right, nobody can say that, and I did not say that. What I said is that Jackson could be the key to ending Branch's holdout: IF he comes back soon and performs well, that will put a lot of pressure on Branch to come into camp. OK?

This is from my original post in this thread:

Note the use of words and phrases such as "potentially", "could be", "if", "highly speculative", and "if" again. I think some of you guys don't even read the posts before you start debating them.

Last edited:
PromisedLand said:
I think some of you guys don't even read the posts before you start debating them.
That would take all the fun out of it :D

It is very limiting to be restricted to facts.

Last edited:
spacecrime said:
That would take all the fun out of it :D

It is very limiting to be restricted to facts.
LOL, you're right! :)

I think everyone would agree that Jackson is a good talent, and from what information is available to the laymen, has all the potential to make his mark in the league.

But to hope and dream that he comes out with a banner year is fairly whimsical. Sure, anything can happen with any player; but odds are against him in his rookie year. Even if he did tear it up, it would be nice to have some consistent veteran play in the mix. Assuming Branch held out to 10 as rumored.

I read Eddie Kennison would like to see a little more money on his remaining 2 years with KC. After having paid Law a little, still having to satisfy Gonzalez with some more dough, KC may come up short for Kennison. Maybe we could convince Hermie that Beisel is still a diamond in the rough.

PromisedLand said:
You're right, nobody can say that, and I did not say that. What I said is that Jackson could be the key to ending Branch's holdout: IF he comes back soon and performs well, that will put a lot of pressure on Branch to come into camp. OK?

This is from my original post in this thread:

Note the use of words and phrases such as "potentially", "could be", "if", "highly speculative", and "if" again. I think some of you guys don't even read the posts before you start debating them.

As to your original point, you have to look at it from Deion's eyes. He knows whenever he comes back he has a starting job. He's not viewing Jackson as a legitimate threat to his job security. Maybe he should, but I don't think he is.

So whether or not Jackson lights it up in pre-season or just plays fairly well, I don't know that it has a lot of stroke with Deion at this point. If there was a threat that he could actually lose his starting job which would cost him big bucks when he bolts for FA next March, then absolutely Jackson having a big camp might sway him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots