PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

jack del rio complaining about calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
in the press conf ...says he thought the arm was going forward and also the TD grab by thomas and the ball hit the ground...i guess he is feeling dissapointed with the calls but iam not sure if those plays made a diff in the game the way the teams were playing...

Thomas's hand clearly under the ball & Garrad's hand had not even moved forward until Greene hit it and pushed it forwards....the hitting it removes intent so sorry Del Rio.

He's entitled to feel disappointed.
And if those plays didn't really matter ... why did we all undoubtedly go crazy cheering them?

The usual bogus calls that bothered me
were BOTH roughings ... the one that helped us and the one that annulled the INT.

Del Rio is a sore loser, if you lose take it like a man and dont cry about the calls in the game. I mean we have had some pretty ****ty calls go against us at times but when did Belichick say anything?

There was absolutely no evidence to prove Thomas didnt catch that ball.

And you want to talk about a bad call, about the Personal Foul roughing the QB on Seymour during the interception. That was BS! He couldnt stop himself, that was the worst call of the game and they scored a TD off what should have been our ball.

He should be complaining about his team's inability to win key games on the road.

This kind of thing ticks me off...show some frigging class, Jacky. The game was close enough that it wasn't decided by those calls alone.

The Patriots executed better and didn't put themselves into the kind of position the Jags did by losing to teams like the Texans twice.

Boo-*******-hoo.

And you want to talk about a bad call, about the Personal Foul roughing the QB on Seymour during the interception. That was BS! He couldnt stop himself, that was the worst call of the game
That call wasn't half as bad as the roughing call against the Jags. Seymour could have stopped. Banta-Cain already have Garrard by the legs, Garrard threw the ball, and THEN Seymour came rumbling in. He only had to turn away, or try to. Turn, twist your body, whatever, try to miss contact and it will rearely get called. Seymour screwed up.

The roughing call against the Jags, the guy hardly touched Tom, basically brushed him in passing. Totally bogus.

But the worst call in the gaem was a non-call. Garrard gave himself up in a feet-first slide and Banta-Caine came in flying and hit Garrard in the head with a forearm. That should have been called agaisnt a RB or WR, and this was a QB in a hook slide.

in the press conf ...says he thought the arm was going forward and also the TD grab by thomas and the ball hit the ground...i guess he is feeling dissapointed with the calls but iam not sure if those plays made a diff in the game the way the teams were playing...

I think Jack should be very thankful in regards to some of the BS calls he received today (the primary one being the "roughing" the QB call that enabled them to get back into the game after behind at 17-7.......Brady has been slammed to the turf several times this year with NO call......(they have caught a few)......anyways, Jack should be thanking the refs right now.....not going after them...one man's opinion!

This kind of thing ticks me off...show some frigging class, Jacky. The game was close enough that it wasn't decided by those calls alone.
QUOTE]

I don't quite understand that comment. Surely, the closer a game is then the more decisive a couple of calls here and there will be. If it's a blowout, then you can say clearly that the games wasn't decided by a play or call here or there.

Anyway, it's fun to see how much even as Patriots fans we disagree on the actual calls. I thought that the roughing call against Jacksonville was more correct than the one on Seymour; the Jags defender could clearly have stopped before making very deliberate (if not exactly violent) contact. I though the hit on Garrard was far more momentum-based. There's no debate at all on which call was more significant though, given that ours nullified a crucial interception.

On Garrard's hooks-slide, I agreed with the commentators that Garrard's slide was too late.

Thomas's catch was dubious but couldn't be over-turned on the evidence.

Garrard's game-icing fumble... well, I can see a case that his arm was going forward. I really think the whole tuckrule thing needs changing, and reduced to a common-sense interpretation. Why should the arm coming forward be the key factor? The QB could be pump-faking when his arm comes forward, after all. 9 times out of 10 I would say it's obvious whether a QB has fumbled or whether his actions can realistically be deemed an incomplete pass.

Del Rio is a punk. Just remember him laughing on the sidelines when Donovon Darius close-lined WR Robert Ferguson in Green Bay, and put him on a stretcher with a neck injury. Del Rio will probably be coaching Alabama next year anyway...

QUOTE]

I don't quite understand that comment. Surely, the closer a game is then the more decisive a couple of calls here and there will be. If it's a blowout, then you can say clearly that the games wasn't decided by a play or call here or there.

Anyway, it's fun to see how much even as Patriots fans we disagree on the actual calls. I thought that the roughing call against Jacksonville was more correct than the one on Seymour; the Jags defender could clearly have stopped before making very deliberate (if not exactly violent) contact. I though the hit on Garrard was far more momentum-based. There's no debate at all on which call was more significant though, given that ours nullified a crucial interception.

On Garrard's hooks-slide, I agreed with the commentators that Garrard's slide was too late.

Thomas's catch was dubious but couldn't be over-turned on the evidence.

Garrard's game-icing fumble... well, I can see a case that his arm was going forward. I really think the whole tuckrule thing needs changing, and reduced to a common-sense interpretation. Why should the arm coming forward be the key factor? The QB could be pump-faking when his arm comes forward, after all. 9 times out of 10 I would say it's obvious whether a QB has fumbled or whether his actions can realistically be deemed an incomplete pass.

All I meant was that the two teams played a close, clean (for the most part) game and for him to whine about the calls that didn't go his way detracts from what was a solidly executed game by both sides.

But the worst call in the gaem was a non-call. Garrard gave himself up in a feet-first slide and Banta-Caine came in flying and hit Garrard in the head with a forearm. That should have been called agaisnt a RB or WR, and this was a QB in a hook slide.

FAR worse, in my eyes
was the non-call of
Ingraham's vicious helmet into the back of sliding/surrendered Brady.

Hey, I said the coaching match-up was key in this game. As it turns out you had to wait till after the game to see the vast difference in coaching (class)

He should be complaining about his D-line giving up so much ydg on QB sneaks. BB would be spitting fire. In addition, BB has never complained to the league or in a presser about a call. "Comtrol what you can control, not what you can't." mentality separates winners from losers.

That call wasn't half as bad as the roughing call against the Jags. Seymour could have stopped. Banta-Cain already have Garrard by the legs, Garrard threw the ball, and THEN Seymour came rumbling in. He only had to turn away, or try to. Turn, twist your body, whatever, try to miss contact and it will rearely get called. Seymour screwed up.

The roughing call against the Jags, the guy hardly touched Tom, basically brushed him in passing. Totally bogus.

Wow! did you actually watch the game on tv or did you catch it on the radio? And, if you did, did you miss the replay on the Brady call? It was clearly a roughing the passer situation, by the book. The problem wasn't the call, which was 100% correct as the replay showed. The problem is that the NFL is being overprotective of the quarterbacks. The man rushing Brady two two full steps after the ball was released. Seymour did no such thing. The simple reality was that Seymour has a much better complaint than the Jaguars do, as Seymour probably did not commit the foul he got flagged for. Again, the problem isn't in the call, it's in the rule itself.

As for the Banta-Cain call, the same thing arises. Garrard waited until it was too late before giving himself up.

Now, all of the above isn't just me, it's Dierdorf saying it as well. Now, if you want to claim that the guys in the booth that were praising the Jacksonville running game all day long were somehow Patriots homers, you go for that. But they saw the Brady roughing as legit, the Seymour roughing far less so, and the Garrard slide a clean hit.

Boo-*******-hoo.

He's lucky that play occured when it did (after the two minute warning) because otherwise it would NOT have been reviewed at all. They had burned both of their challenges on the Gaffney play out of bounds and the Thomas TD.

Space -
Gotta disagree with you in all 3 cases.

1) Seymour was in mid-flight when Garrard threw the ball away. There was NO WAY for him to pull up. He took ONE step before he ran into Garrard. Also, Seymour, in no way, let with his helmet. In fact, Seymour put his hands up and out to show he was trying to avoid contact.

2) The roughing the Passer call against Ingram was exactly why the rule was written. Ingram took 2 FULL STRIDES before running into Brady.

3) This is the only time I know of that I have agreed with Gumball and Deidorf, but, as a QB, you can't start your slide at the last second and not expect to be hit. Nor should it be called.

we should be complaining about calls, our quarter back got speared and almost injured. We should be complaining. Thats what bad teams do that lose, they make excuses, because jax is a bad team. If we didnt make some minor mistakes we would of shut them out.

Either Del Rio is just being a baby or has conclusive footage from a different angle on the Thomas catch. CBS's one angle pretty clearly showed Thomas's arm under the ball.

As for the game-ending fumble, I'm glad it was called a fumble on the field. There was no way that replay was overturning a call either way. There was nothing conclusive in there, and I cannot fault a Jags fan who thinks it wasn't a fumble. I can fault a coach who cries about it though.

As for the roughing calls, both seemed pretty clear to me. While neither posed any real harm to the QBs, on both of them a defender who didn't need to (harmlessly) shoved the QBs well after they threw the ball. I was mad at Seymour, not the refs, for his roughing call. The roughing call against the Jags appeared to be a guy who was frustrated by not getting to even sniff the QB due to all of the quick throws.

I was really impressed by the refs not calling any penalties on the QB slides. If a guy is going to wait until the last second to slide the defender needs to be able to finish the play. Otherwise you're left with Tom Brady running past Brian Urlacher because Urlacher assumes Brady's going to slide and doesn't want to pick up a penalty.

As for the helmet to Brady's back, I immediately said "that's a fine." Thank God he got up. I hate it when Brady runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back