PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

J'accuse...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
....The following are the major disappointments I had about Sunday night's game.

1. First there is MYSELF. I vastly underestimated the Patriots until just before kickoff. Let me explain. When I was looking at the Pats chances in this game, I just couldn't think of a reasonable series of events that would allow them to win the game. In fact if they had lost by 2 TDs I wouldn't have been shocked. There were SO MANY reasons that played against them. This would be Cassel's first away game in a loud dome. It was Indy. The Pats were lacking their THREE top runners to go against the obvious weakness the Colts had (vs the run). The secondary was all banged up. And while the Colts offense has been less than impressive a lot of there problems have come with uncharacteristic dropped passes and tipped balls that fall right into defenders arms. I knew that against the Pats there WOULD Be no dropped passes and any tipped balls WOULDN'T fall conveniently in our arms. (BTW events would prove me right on this. I didn't like the match up of our OTs vs THERE outside pass rushers.

So, as I sat down to watch the game, I did so hoping that the Pats would keep the game competitive, at least till the second half. Now I am usually very upbeat about the Pats potential before games, even when they are underdogs. But then a thought occurred to me. The LAST time I felt this way about an impending game was back in 2003 or 2004 when a very beat up Pats team was going into St. Louis to play the best offense in the NFL with Troy Brown the starting nickel back. Well as we all remember the Pats WAXED the Rams that day. A day that saw Adam Venetieri rack up a PERFECT QB rating.

So while my brain was hoping that the Pats would at least keep it close, my heart wondered if they could repeat the effort they made several years ago and surprise everyone. OH WHAT A FICKLE FAN AM I! :D

2."J'accuse" Bill Bellichick - Well I wasn't happy with the lost timeouts he made, as a former coach, I can easily see how he made each decision. No my complaints about Bill's performance won't be the ones you will hear on talk Radio this week. The 2 things I would criticize are the following. A. I couldn't believe that for 4 quarters Bill DIDN'T challenge the Colt's CB's deep and to the outside. NOT ONCE...even in the red zone. B. For the first time, it looked to me that the most aggressive coach in the league was playing NOT to lose as opposed to playing to win. The BB that won 3 superbowls would have gone for it on that 4th down. The BB that has dominated the AFCE for 5 years would have at least have made an attempt to get a first down on the drive that led to the Pats first FG.

So while I thought the overall offensive game plan was well thought out,I thought the Pats left TWO big bullets unused in their gun by NOT testing the Colt's undersized CB's and NOT playing aggressively to win a game that on paper was a long shot to win.

3. "J'accuse" Jabar Gaffney for missing the easiest TD catch he will ever get. This was right up there with the Reche Caldwell drop. That being said, I'm sure he feels a lot worse about it than we do, and I doubt we will see it happen again.

4. "J'accuse" Ben Jarvis Green Ellis - If you want to stretch it a bit, you can blame HIM for the fiasco of that Thomas penalty that took the Pats OUT of FG range. It was cruely ironic that on THAT play for the FIRST TIME ALL YEAR, Green Ellis hesitated at the hole, which not only kept him from getting the first time, it also extended the play which led to the late hit. (BTW- there was no question IMHO that THAT WAS a late hit). Even fit he hadn't made the first down hitting the designated hole, the Pats STILL would have 3rd down to try it.

I know it sounds harsh to criticize him the same game that will probably end up benig his best game as a pro, but I couldn't believe that a guy who has hit EVERY hole HARD, every time, picked THAT play to dance around. :rolleyes:

5: "J'ccuse" Dave Thomas, Hey Dave, those are the plays OTHER teams are supposed to make to the Pats, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. STUPID...STUPID...stupid!!!

6. "'accuse" James Sanders - Hey James it was YOUR missed tackle that enabled the Colts to get into FG range and pick up the winning score. That's YOUR job. Damned we got the WRONG Sanders I guess.

All that being said, I have to say that like most of you, even in defeat the game was pretty uplifting. Despite all the disadvantages and bad match ups going into the game, the Pats went into one of the most difficult venues in the NFL and did everything but win the game. In fact while the Colts played pretty well, it was the Pats who ended up GIVING them the game.

BTW- Kudo's to Mat Light and Matt Kazcur who pretty much won the match up battle with the 2 outside rushers of the Colts, and to Matt Cassel, who is now EXCEEDING all expectations. Once agan he showed a lot of poise and keeps gettng better every week. I guess you can say it was a pretty good week all around for every Pat named MATT. (OOOH I make a rhyme :D )

Also I can't leave without giving kudo's to the front 7 for completely shutting down the Colts running game, and while they didn't get the pressure on Manning that I would have liked, I thought the entire defense played pretty well.

Finally, in order to keep the bar raised, for those who might not know it, the term "J'accuse" refers to a famous newpaper article written by Emil Zola confronting the government about its misuse of power in sending an innocent man to rot in Devil's Island (Dreyfuss) prior to WWI. "J'accuse" (I accuse) was the headline.

Here is the Wikopedia version on what happended

he Dreyfus Affair was a political scandal which divided France from the 1890s to the early 1900s. It involved the conviction for treason in November 1894 of Captain Alfred Dreyfus, a young French artillery officer of Jewish background who was in advanced training with the Army's General Staff. Alfred Dreyfus was sentenced to life imprisonment, which he began to serve in solitary confinement on Devil's Island in French Guiana.

Two years later, in 1896, the real culprit was brought to light and identified: a French Army major named Ferdinand Walsin Esterhazy. However, French high-level military officials dismissed or ignored this new evidence which exonerated Alfred Dreyfus. Thus, in January 1898, military judges unanimously acquitted Esterhazy on the second day of his trial. Worse, French military counter-intelligence officers fabricated false documents designed to secure Dreyfus' conviction as a spy for Germany. They were all eventually exposed, in large part due to a resounding public intervention by writer Emile Zola in January 1898. The case had to be re-opened, and Dreyfus was brought back from Guiana in 1899 to be tried again. The intense political and judicial scandal that ensued divided French society between those who supported Dreyfus (the Dreyfusards) and those who condemned him (the anti-Dreyfusards).

Eventually, all the accusations against Alfred Dreyfus were demonstrated to be baseless. Dreyfus was exonerated and reinstated as a major in the French Army in 1906. He later served during the whole of World War I, ending his service with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel.

Last edited:
Re: J'accuse....

Can't argue, but who the heck is Matt Kaczur? :p

Ken, #2 and #3 conflict with one another, since #3 was a downfield attack on the outside.

....The following are the major disappointments I had about Sunday night's game.

1. First there is MYSELF. I vastly underestimated the Patriots until just before kickoff. Let me explain. When I was looking at the Pats chances in this game, I just couldn't think of a reasonable series of events that would allow them to win the game. In fact if they had lost by 2 TDs I wouldn't have been shocked. There were SO MANY reasons that played against them. This would be Cassel's first away game in a loud dome. It was Indy. The Pats were lacking their THREE top runners to go against the obvious weakness the Colts had (vs the run). The secondary was all banged up. And while the Colts offense has been less than impressive a lot of there problems have come with uncharacteristic dropped passes and tipped balls that fall right into defenders arms. I knew that against the Pats there WOULD Be no dropped passes and any tipped balls WOULDN'T fall conveniently in our arms. (BTW events would prove me right on this. I didn't like the match up of our OTs vs THERE outside pass rushers.

So, as I sat down to watch the game, I did so hoping that the Pats would keep the game competitive, at least till the second half. Now I am usually very upbeat about the Pats potential before games, even when they are underdogs. But then a thought occurred to me. The LAST time I felt this way about an impending game was back in 2003 or 2004 when a very beat up Pats team was going into St. Louis to play the best offense in the NFL with Troy Brown the starting nickel back. Well as we all remember the Pats WAXED the Rams that day. A day that saw Adam Venetieri rack up a PERFECT QB rating.

So while my brain was hoping that the Pats would at least keep it close, my heart wondered if they could repeat the effort they made several years ago and surprise everyone. OH WHAT A FICKLE FAN AM I! :D

2."J'accuse" Bill Bellichick - Well I wasn't happy with the lost timeouts he made, as a former coach, I can easily see how he made each decision. No my complaints about Bill's performance won't be the ones you will hear on talk Radio this week. The 2 things I would criticize are the following. A. I couldn't believe that for 4 quarters Bill DIDN'T challenge the Colt's CB's deep and to the outside. NOT ONCE...even in the red zone. B. For the first time, it looked to me that the most aggressive coach in the league was playing NOT to lose as opposed to playing to win. The BB that won 3 superbowls would have gone for it on that 4th down. The BB that has dominated the AFCE for 5 years would have at least have made an attempt to get a first down on the drive that led to the Pats first FG.

So while I thought the overall offensive game plan was well thought out,I thought the Pats left TWO big bullets unused in their gun by NOT testing the Colt's undersized CB's and NOT playing aggressively to win a game that on paper was a long shot to win.

3. "J'accuse" Jabar Gaffney for missing the easiest TD catch he will ever get. This was right up there with the Reche Caldwell drop. That being said, I'm sure he feels a lot worse about it than we do, and I doubt we will see it happen again.

4. "J'accuse" Ben Jarvis Green Ellis - If you want to stretch it a bit, you can blame HIM for the fiasco of that Thomas penalty that took the Pats OUT of FG range. It was cruely ironic that on THAT play for the FIRST TIME ALL YEAR, Green Ellis hesitated at the hole, which not only kept him from getting the first time, it also extended the play which led to the late hit. (BTW- there was no question IMHO that THAT WAS a late hit). Even fit he hadn't made the first down hitting the designated hole, the Pats STILL would have 3rd down to try it.

I know it sounds harsh to criticize him the same game that will probably end up benig his best game as a pro, but I couldn't believe that a guy who has hit EVERY hole HARD, every time, picked THAT play to dance around. :rolleyes:

5: "J'ccuse" Dave Thomas, Hey Dave, those are the plays OTHER teams are supposed to make to the Pats, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. STUPID...STUPID...stupid!!!

6. "'accuse" James Sanders - Hey James it was YOUR missed tackle that enabled the Colts to get into FG range and pick up the winning score. That's YOUR job. Damned we got the WRONG Sanders I guess.

All that being said, I have to say that like most of you, even in defeat the game was pretty uplifting. Despite all the disadvantages and bad match ups going into the game, the Pats went into one of the most difficult venues in the NFL and did everything but win the game. In fact while the Colts played pretty well, it was the Pats who ended up GIVING them the game.

BTW- Kudo's to Mat Light and Matt Kazcur who pretty much won the match up battle with the 2 outside rushers of the Colts, and to Matt Cassel, who is now EXCEEDING all expectations. Once agan he showed a lot of poise and keeps gettng better every week. I guess you can say it was a pretty good week all around for every Pat named MATT. (OOOH I make a rhyme :D )

Also I can't leave without giving kudo's to the front 7 for completely shutting down the Colts running game, and while they didn't get the pressure on Manning that I would have liked, I thought the entire defense played pretty well.

Finally, in order to keep the bar raised, for those who might not know it, the term "J'accuse" refers to a famous newpaper article written by Emil Zola confronting the government about its misuse of power in sending an innocent man to rot in Devil's Island (Dreyfuss) prior to WWI. "J'accuse" (I accuse) was the headline.

Am I the only person that does not understand why Bill continues to wear that Hoodie? I mean, it was the blue derivative of the Red Super Bowl Hoodie.

We win in the Grey Hoodie, We live and Die by that hoodie and I don't understand why Bill continues to defy the will of the Football Gods.

Good post as always, but I think it's crazy to put any blame whatsoever on BJGE just because he came up a yard short on a 2nd down run. If anything, that kind of run would inadvertently work to our favor because it gives us an extra play to run on 3rd and inches and therefore, more time off the clock leaving Manning less time to answer to our score. BJGE was easily one of the bright spots on Sunday.

I'm confused. Reading the long post and wiki stuff...so it was the French who were responsible for us losing the game? :confused:

The bastids!

I'm confused. Reading the long post and wiki stuff...so it was the French who were responsible for us losing the game? :confused:

The bastids!

Yeah, I can see that... The French are, by nature, an easy mark. :rolleyes:

But on the whole, I think the article is bang on.

BJGE wouldn't have needed to stretch for that extra inch at all if the refs had spotted the Faulk run correctly on the previous play. They marked Faulk two yards back from where he was downed.

Thanks for the explanation.

I was wondering why you started each bullet point with a shout-out to the inventor of the whirlpool hottub.

Regards,
Chris

Good post as always, but I think it's crazy to put any blame whatsoever on BJGE just because he came up a yard short on a 2nd down run.
He didn't. Ken blamed him for dancing before hitting the hole, a legitimate complaint.

A. I couldn't believe that for 4 quarters Bill DIDN'T challenge the Colt's CB's deep and to the outside. NOT ONCE...even in the red zone.
They went deep once. The WR was open by a mile and Cassel through a perfect pass. Except for the drop, it was a perfect play. Alas, they never went downfield again. JM's game plan was to run the ball and pass short, and God forbid he change his game plan just because something worked like a charm. The amazing thing was that he later defended not going downfield because he said Cassel wouldn't have time to throw. Cassel had plenty of time that play. It is bad enough to make a mistake (not going downfield against weak CBs), but if you don't know or won't admit it was a mistake, there is little hope for improvement.

B. For the first time, it looked to me that the most aggressive coach in the league was playing NOT to lose as opposed to playing to win.
We need to have Herm tell BB why we play the game!

He didn't. Ken blamed him for dancing before hitting the hole, a legitimate complaint.

He danced behind the line on one 2nd down run that gained yardage, so he deserves to be listed with Thomas, Gaffney, and BB on the blame list? Great, I guess Ghostowski should be on that list too for not booming every single kickoff through the end zone. One of those returns DID come back near midfield. Please, BJGE filled in admirably at a position we are DESPERATE for production due to injuries and he's getting called out here for gaining one less yard on a 2nd down. That's crazy.

He danced behind the line on one 2nd down run that gained yardage, so he deserves to be listed with Thomas, Gaffney, and BB on the blame list? Great, I guess Ghostowski should be on that list too for not booming every single kickoff through the end zone. One of those returns DID come back near midfield. Please, BJGE filled in admirably at a position we are DESPERATE for production due to injuries and he's getting called out here for gaining one less yard on a 2nd down. That's crazy.
It's a half-hearted gripe at BJGE. Even patfanken admits he's stretching the point. It's like complaining that Sammy Morris allowed that KC defender to get up and cheapshot Brady's knee: There's some truth in it, but not where the genuine blame lies.

Regards,
Chris

It's a half-hearted gripe at BJGE. Even patfanken admits he's stretching the point. It's like complaining that Sammy Morris allowed that KC defender to get up and cheapshot Brady's knee: There's some truth in it, but not where the genuine blame lies.

Regards,
Chris

Point taken, it's just that if you look at the "J'accuse" list it is guys that screwed up BIG and I feel it's a disservice to have BJGE listed up there. It's his 3rd game and he was actually one of the bright spots IMO. Maybe if there was a seperate J'accuse petit... eh my French sucks. But if you wanted to pick on stuff like that run, you could probably list half the team up there.

I just used the expression "J'accuse" two days ago for the first time in probably 10 or 15 years. So that's a weird, nerdy coincidence.

6. "'accuse" James Sanders - Hey James it was YOUR missed tackle that enabled the Colts to get into FG range and pick up the winning score. That's YOUR job.

I was also thinking about this last night. Sanders abslutely blew it on that play. OK, a guy makes a catch - you still have to tackle!

I want to weigh in on the (no-doubt ironically heavy-duty) use of J'accuse.

The last time I saw anything that world-class tongue-in-cheek it involved Jenna Jameson.

Zola
Z-O-L-A, Zola
Zo zo zo zo Zola

PFnV

How the French can be dragged into this mess is beyond me, though I did enjoy the reference to Zola.

Anyway, interesting post... but sad that it had to be accompanied by a Wikipedia article to explain it.

How the French can be dragged into this mess is beyond me, though I did enjoy the reference to Zola.

Anyway, interesting post... but sad that it had to be accompanied by a Wikipedia article to explain it.

Heh,

I didn't need any 'splainin... Then again, I'm old enough to have read a 1st edition. Not when it first came out, mind you, but nonetheless. Sigh...

I do have a life outside of football. Honest. Tuesdays & thursdays, and most saturdays. :rolleyes:

Fridays are for bowling and beer. And getting ready for sunday....

I want to weigh in on the (no-doubt ironically heavy-duty) use of J'accuse.

The last time I saw anything that world-class tongue-in-cheek it involved Jenna Jameson.

Zola
Z-O-L-A, Zola
Zo zo zo zo Zola

PFnV

If we could get a Nostradamus reference in there, it'd be a literary hat trick :)

(on Dreyfuss) Interesting but quite a reach in terms of relativity to the topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots