PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jabar Gaffney Odd Man Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel safe in saying that Gaffney will make this team.

If Lloyd gets injured, whos gonna stretch the field? You keep Stallworth for deep-ball insurance. Gaffney got locked up for a decent sized contract and he can contribute lots when healthy, keep him. Branch can't get open against man coverage which showed in the Jets and Giants super bowl loss and lost his burst off the line, he gets cut. And there are already enough inside receivers on this team.

At this point, Edelman might not mind being cut. He would get better opportunities to shine elsewhere.

With Lloyd as the big-play threat on the outside, all three of these guys - Branch, Gaffney and Stallworth - are tremendous #2 outside the hash mark options.

If there is a way to keep them all, Belichick should do it.

That's what I'm talking about!! :rocker:

If Lloyd gets injured, whos gonna stretch the field? You keep Stallworth for deep-ball insurance. Gaffney got locked up for a decent sized contract and he can contribute lots when healthy, keep him. Branch can't get open against man coverage which showed in the Jets and Giants super bowl loss and lost his burst off the line, he gets cut. And there are already enough inside receivers on this team.

I would have see a lot more from Stallworth on Friday, not much separation and routes not nearly as crisp as Branch.

If I were picking the WR's based on tonight's game:

Welker, Lloyd, Gaffney, Branch, Edleman, Slater.

Slater has better speed than Stallworth from what I've seen

If Lloyd gets injured, whos gonna stretch the field?

Nobody

You keep Stallworth for deep-ball insurance. Gaffney got locked up for a decent sized contract and he can contribute lots when healthy, keep him. Branch can't get open against man coverage which showed in the Jets and Giants super bowl loss and lost his burst off the line, he gets cut. And there are already enough inside receivers on this team.

Stallworth has done nothing since 2008 to show that he's capable of stretching the field.

Nobody

Stallworth has done nothing since 2008 to show that he's capable of stretching the field.
This. Really don't get the Stallworth love. People forget he was a huge disappointment as a deep threat (decent overall year, just talking his deep ball prowess) back in 2007, and that was 5 years ago. Stallworth did his damage after the catch on bubble screens and what not, but VERY rarely stretched the defense and caught deep balls.

My depth chart would be this...
Welker
Lloyd
Gaffney
Branch
Edelman
Slater (ST's)

...with Stallworth cut.

I think we all have just too big of a soft spot for branch to admit he needs to go.
He's just getting to old and slow for this offense, I'd love to see him stay but he's the odd man out in my opinion unless he can really make a burst in these next couple of preseason games.

But by whom would Branch be replaced? Stallworth? He can't get open.
Ebert? He can't play outside, and drops passes he should catch.
Jesse Holley? I didn't think so, either.

Bill & the FO need to somehow, some way, find & develop a young WR with height & speed
who can operate outside the hash marks; because by this time next year, Brandon Lloyd
might be the only one on the roster who is on the roster this year.

Bill & the FO need to somehow, some way, find & develop a young WR with height & speed who can operate outside the hash marks; because by this time next year, Brandon Lloyd might be the only one on the roster who is on the roster this year.
Brandon Lloyd and Jabar Gaffney are both under contract for the 2013 NFL Season.

But by whom would Branch be replaced? Stallworth? He can't get open.
Ebert? He can't play outside, and drops passes he should catch.
Jesse Holley? I didn't think so, either.

Bill & the FO need to somehow, some way, find & develop a young WR with height & speed
who can operate outside the hash marks; because by this time next year, Brandon Lloyd
might be the only one on the roster who is on the roster this year.

Reports seem to contradict your thoughts on Ebert, who has possessed very safe hands throughout camp and snagged 3 of 4 in the first half last night. Muffing a couple of punts in training didn't help his case, but the board's 'golden boy' Edelman muffed one last night too and, according to reports, has dropped more than Ebert through camp.

Right now it's tough to find space for him especially after Branch's performance last night...projecting WR has gotta be the toughest it has been in a long time. I can't see Gaffney, Stallworth and Branch all making the cut, and I could envision someone making way to develop someone like Ebert.

Also, don't agree with your opinion he can't play outside. He's taller and faster than Welker IMO, which suggests he could use that to his advantage on the outside...speed we have sorely lacked until this season.

Last edited:
I think we all have just too big of a soft spot for branch to admit he needs to go.
He's just getting to old and slow for this offense, I'd love to see him stay but he's the odd man out in my opinion unless he can really make a burst in these next couple of preseason games.

Ebert can't catch, Stallworth can't get open. ..Jesse Holley. lol.

edit: Then again, nobody could catch last night, was a pretty pathetic showing.

Last edited:
I feel safe in saying that Gaffney will make this team.

I thought it might be up in the air, but the fact Gaffney did not play yesterday along with the other sure fire players it makes me think he also might be considered a lock for the 53. Everyone initially thought that when he was signed, but now the media is putting Branch into the #3 spot after yesterday and I'm not sure if it's just a story or closer to the truth.

I thought it might be up in the air, but the fact Gaffney did not play yesterday along with the other sure fire players it makes me think he also might be considered a lock for the 53. Everyone initially thought that when he was signed, but now the media is putting Branch into the #3 spot after yesterday and I'm not sure if it's just a story or closer to the truth.

I think Gaffney's banged up, no? That's why he didn't play.

Do agree though that Stallworth did himself no favors last night--didn't really get any separation at all. Along with Branch doing his Branch-like things (right place, right time) I'd say the signs point to Donte not making the roster now, if in fact one of the WRs is cut.

I think Gaffney's banged up, no? That's why he didn't play.

Do agree though that Stallworth did himself no favors last night--didn't really get any separation at all. Along with Branch doing his Branch-like things (right place, right time) I'd say the signs point to Donte not making the roster now, if in fact one of the WRs is cut.

I'm beginning to think more and more that all of the WR's will be kept, personally.

I was just listening to PFW (because the alternatives were a telethon on WEEI and a nauseating as the Sox Turn segment on 98.5) and they were discussing the WR battle. They all seem to think Branch is on the roster for reasons last night underscored. And they think he gets short shrift here because the grass is always greener and taller or faster intrigues. They (except for Fred who may be waffling) don't think Gaffney is a lock and Branch may be the #3 and not clawing for #4. Their concensus was Gaffney was never close to what Branch has been here, and that is what matters as opposed to whatever he did in Washington (where he became something of a default #1 target). And he hasn't had a very impressive camp. OK but not impressive. They don't think much of Stallworth.

Reports seem to contradict your thoughts on Ebert, who has possessed very safe hands throughout camp and snagged 3 of 4 in the first half last night. Muffing a couple of punts in training didn't help his case, but the board's 'golden boy' Edelman muffed one last night too and, according to reports, has dropped more than Ebert through camp.

Right now it's tough to find space for him especially after Branch's performance last night...projecting WR has gotta be the toughest it has been in a long time. I can't see Gaffney, Stallworth and Branch all making the cut, and I could envision someone making way to develop someone like Ebert.

Also, don't agree with your opinion he can't play outside. He's taller and faster than Welker IMO, which suggests he could use that to his advantage on the outside...speed we have sorely lacked until this season.

Ebert is probably still far enough under the radar to make his way to the PS for development.

Everytime you think Branch has lost a step, doesn't have "IT" anymore he just keeps on doing what he does best. CATCHES'da BALL for good yardage! Gaffney/Branch tough call but if Pats settled on Branch it could be worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes