PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jabar Gaffney Odd Man Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaffney is just so consistent and had a real nice year for himself last year. Right now to me Deion Branch is odd man out...he doesn't bring anything to the table anymore.

Deion Branch made 51 catches for 702 yards last season - a 13.8 yards per catch average. Sure, he wasn't the dominant wide-out, but he sure provided production some other receivers did not. With Lloyd as the big-play threat on the outside, all three of these guys - Branch, Gaffney and Stallworth - are tremendous #2 outside the hash mark options. If there is a way to keep them all, Belichick should do it.

I hate to be that guy, but it's "rapport."

Thank you for this, typically I'm a stickler for perfect spelling, and I knew "repore" looked weird. To be honest, I was using the German version of the word, but "repore" is also German for "Whale's Vxxxxx"

I was looking at the cap numbers and Stallworth didn't get a lot of bonus so his cap number is much more friendly than Branch and Gaffney. With his positive reports at camp of him being mature and able to contribute on ST I'd be surprised if he was the one that was cut. To me it looks like Branch or Gaffney, but I can't tell from reports who's rising above.

I suspect that BB manages for more then the immediate moment. I suspect he will try to provide Brady good WRs for the next two to three years. He has loaded up with WRs to assist Brady in his final prime seasons. But he recognizes that this could be a one year phenomenon, given the age in the WR corps. So he might want a fellow who could help for more than one year. That will allow him to draft a guy high, next one or two drafts, and develop him without too much urgency.

So what does he have:

Branch 34
Gaffney 31
Stallworth 31
LLoyld 30
Welker 31
Edelmen 27
Slater, doesn't count

Both Stallworth 31 and Branch have seen their careers fade over the past year, somewhat. Perhaps beginning the journey Over the Hill for one or both. But Stallworth retains his speed, according to BB. OTOH, Branch has relied more on route running and quickness, rather than just good speed. Stallworth has also become a "respected vet" and lockeroom leader.

So I predict that if anyone goes, it will be Branch, even if he could contribute now, as he likely won't be here next season anyway. He may not be picked up either, and could still join the "Shadow Roster" awaiting the Phone call from BB.

The same applies to Stallworth. However, either one would contribute to the joke that is the Jesters WR corps though, so maybe both stay...

Sadly I believe that Branch will be out and Stallworth and Gaffney will make the team. I would take Branch over Stallworth, but Gaffney and Branch are more or less the same.

Slater, doesn't count

I would not be so sure of that, given reports that Slater has emerged somewhat as a viable deep threat in camp. If Slater can replicate Stallworth's potential production, then Stallworth may be cut in favor of an additional OL or DB.

Deion Branch made 51 catches for 702 yards last season - a 13.8 yards per catch average. Sure, he wasn't the dominant wide-out, but he sure provided production some other receivers did not. With Lloyd as the big-play threat on the outside, all three of these guys - Branch, Gaffney and Stallworth - are tremendous #2 outside the hash mark options. If there is a way to keep them all, Belichick should do it.

That was for a Starter which is pretty close to the bottom of the League last year. Branch relies of his quickness which was almost nonexistant last year. I cannot imagine how bad he will be this year. Branch now is not a player with diminishing skills but one who's skills has diminished!

Sadly I believe that Branch will be out and Stallworth and Gaffney will make the team. I would take Branch over Stallworth, but Gaffney and Branch are more or less the same.

That's how i feel and hope BB feels the same...if it came down to Stallworth or Branch...i would choose Stallworth because he can STILL Stretch the Defense and make a catch. At this stage of their careers Stallworth > Branch!

I would not be so sure of that, given reports that Slater has emerged somewhat as a viable deep threat in camp. If Slater can replicate Stallworth's potential production, then Stallworth may be cut in favor of an additional OL or DB.

Catching passes on a Go pattern in camp is very different from being a deep threat. Still need to be able to run some semblance of the route tree and the ability to keep your body under control at speed and go get the ball. I'd love Slater to have blossomed but color me very skeptical.

Last edited:

Prolly shouldn't count on Slater for WR production. 1 career catch. What was he 1 for 5, 1 for 6 on deep routes last year? BB finally gave up on that tactic after he dropped or misread 4 or 5 in a row.

Joey,

Gretzky, and loved the way he played the game, greatest ever.

Have you ever heard of Robert Gordon Orr? He was the best that ever played the game.

stallworth: BB says he's got speed. translation- you're on the team.

branch- having an excellent camp and nows the playbook. not going anywhere.

gaffney- plays well under josh mcdaniels. he stays.

edelman is gone.

That would really surprise me--didn't even think to reference him. Slot receivers are sort of different animals, and the fact he didn't out-perform someone like Chad Johnson last year isn't an indictment, I don't think. He's a good back-up receiver in the slot, handles punts well, and was open to working as a DB last year. (And reports have him being elusive as hell in camp drills.)

Plus the fight was no big thing--I'm pretty sure he's sticking.

Last edited:

Jackie Slater = ST's Gunner...that's all folks.

chances of anyone signing Branch I would say are minimal compared to the other two. let Branch go on the shadow roster until someone pulls up hurt.

Bottom line - Between Gaffney, Stallworth, and Branch, SOMEBODY is the odd man out. BB is going to have a touch choice, and a sad task, when he lets one of these guys go.

I think you would have to think Branch is the odd man out here.....He has slooooweed down considerably and has been slow to get on the field (practice) and was out last week. I think you HAVE to give Stallworth a shot....He still has the speed and knows the system. I see Gaff, Stallworth sticking and branch going....

Gaffney is just so consistent and had a real nice year for himself last year. Right now to me Deion Branch is odd man out...he doesn't bring anything to the table anymore.

Amen brotha......Branch REALLY slowed down last year and did a Ocho disappearing trick in alot of games. He has already shown signs of further breakdown by not being able to make it onto the field thus far. I think it is time for him to go........

Maybe he doesn't make it? Chance all of them end up on the roster, too.
Bottom line for me is that which ever way they go it will not impact the offense much.

We've got four world class receivers in front of the Stallworth/Branch/ Gaffney level.

Then we've got Vereen and Woodhead and Demps to feed.

It's amazing to think Brady passed for over 5000 yards with Johnson and Branch as his X and Z

I'm hoping its Edelman as the odd man out. I don't think we'd lose any punt return skill by having others on the team take his place, plus I feel like he takes too many risks -- running it when he should make a fair catch or let it pass.

I'd rather have Stallworth and Gaffney's upsides, with Branch's limited yet known productivity and having Stallworth/Slater/Demps/anyone-else take over kick/punt return duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes