PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Gary Busey
0215-gary-busey-ex-01.jpg

JJ Watt
20121020__154125242~p1_200.jpg

Maybe it's just me...

I don't know about all of that but he is a good man, with a great motor and a great competitor...I wish we had him on our team, he was on our QB all night last night.

And he appears to be a good man off the field.

I don't know about all that, but the dude is a BEAST. Wish he was on our team, but the Pats have a BEAST of their own. Vince was BEASTLY last night.

I don't know about all that either ;), but saw this on Twitter:

Field Yates ‏@FieldYates
Last night marked the first time Texans DE JJ Watt was held without a sack, tackle for loss and pass defensed in the same game this season.

That said, the beast is extremely impressive. Love the way BB always seeks out gives like that after a game, give them a little acknowledgement. I'd swear for most players one kind word from BB means more to them than all their own coaches' encouragement combined.

Hey didn't say he can't play.

PS, stat line a little deceptive there Rico... most times you punch loose a ball you get something out of it other than the other team scoring. And his presences was definitely felt (to the extent anybody on that team's presence was felt.)

PPS, also love BB seeking out guys we may/may not end up seeing in a Pats uni later.

PPPS, yes, Watt is a beast.

But I just keep seeing Gary Busey.

PS, stat line a little deceptive there Rico... most times you punch loose a ball you get something out of it other than the other team scoring. And his presences was definitely felt (to the extent anybody on that team's presence was felt.)...

Agreed. And I have to say, this headline raised my eyebrows a bit; "shut Watt down" seems a bit much:

Patriots shuts down J.J. Watt with Matt Light watching - Patriots - Boston.com

Edit: Gotta add this quote:

With McDaniels spinning the dial with his assorted schemes and plays, and the players doing the job on the field, the Patriots ended up accomplishing what many thought was impossible this season: Watt was almost a non-factor until the game was out of reach.

Edit: From being on the game thread, I don't think anyone here, including myself, would agree with the "non-factor" comment.

Last edited:
Watt was not a non factor. Drew special blocking by the Pats OL/TE and slammed TFB to the ground several times, hurrying passes, some resulting in incompletions. We just don't notice Watt as much because The GOAT hung in there to rack up an incredible performance under fire. I also believe that TFB adjusted his pass mechanics and trajectory on the short passes to avoid swat downs resulting in several too far misses to Welker whose hands were sub par following his great stretch catch at the 4 yd line. The nearly 6' 6" Bledsoe was king of the blocked pass attempts.

Is this what it looks like under Reliant Stadium?

gary_busey_creepin.gif

Watt was not a non factor. Drew special blocking by the Pats OL/TE and slammed TFB to the ground several times, hurrying passes, some resulting in incompletions. We just don't notice Watt as much because The GOAT hung in there to rack up an incredible performance under fire.

Agreed. He was obviously a point of emphasis in blocking schemes, and still managed to introduce himself to Brady repeatedly during the game. Anyone ever claiming Brady is soft and rattled under pressure should watch this game and his performance. Several of his apparently bad throws were hurries because Watt was about to squash him.

And I was amazed that anyone could run up on little Woodhead to pop that ball loose. I don't really hold that mistake against little Danny as nobody would expect a player with arms as big as Woodhead's torso to run him down from behind and make a stab at that ball. Great athleticism by Watt.

Hey didn't say he can't play.

..... yes, Watt is a beast.

But I just keep seeing Gary Busey.

That's because Gary Busey is also a beast!:bricks:

Hey guys (and gals), I've been lurking some more; I like your board; not much nonsense here, I will say.

I would have liked to talk some more about the game, but really doesn't want to sound like sour grape, LOL.

I read that some posters are concerned about Watt (something that has never occurred on the Texans board), I thought I'd bring up this article so that you can be your own judge.

Ultimate Texans » What didn’t fit into Sunday’s J.J. Watt story

3. In the story I mention Watt, who is now 295 pounds, was 207 pounds upon his first assessment with Brad Arnett, the man who helped shape his body starting in high school. Arnett pulled Watt’s file from a cabinet so he could give me the exact date of their first meeting and Watt’s weight.

The change didn’t happen overnight. Size is why Wisconsin, short on scholarships the year he came out, wasn’t offering him one. He also had mononucleosis during the recruiting process, which set back his development a bit.

Watt has grown taller since that assessment by a couple inches.

He started to grow into his frame late in high school, especially during his senior year after football was over.

In March of 2008, Watt got up to 258 pounds. When he returned from Central Michigan for the six months before he could walk on at Wisconsin, Watt was 265 and needed to improve both strength and size.

Arnett changed Watt’s diet from a college student’s “just stay full” diet to one that would actively help his body. Fruits, vegetables and whole carbohydrates.

Alcohol was a big no-no, as well, but Watt was never a big drinker. He estimates he drinks maybe 10 days a year.

“The nutritious ramifications are so bad, I can’t, I cannot have a drink in the season, that’s crazy to me,” Watt said. “What we do to our bodies, there’s no way you can put alcohol in your system.”

Watt says natural food is the route he chooses to go. J.J. once joked with a Wisconsin alumnus that he got so big because of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. That man lives in New York and texted Watt after the Monday Night Football game to say, “Man, those peanut butter and jellies really got you a long way.”

“I take one protein supplement and that’s it,” Watt said. “I believe in real food, I believe in working hard and putting chicken breasts and eggs in your body. That’s what I do. I don’t even buy into supplements really.”

Last edited:
Hey guys (and gals), I've been lurking some more; I like your board; not much nonsense here, I will say.

I would have liked to talk some more about the game, but really doesn't want to sound like sour grape, LOL.

I read that some posters are concerned about Watt (something that has never occurred on the Texans board), I thought I'd bring up this article so that you can be your own judge.

Ultimate Texans » What didn’t fit into Sunday’s J.J. Watt story

3. In the story I mention Watt, who is now 295 pounds, was 207 pounds upon his first assessment with Brad Arnett, the man who helped shape his body starting in high school. Arnett pulled Watt’s file from a cabinet so he could give me the exact date of their first meeting and Watt’s weight.

The change didn’t happen overnight. Size is why Wisconsin, short on scholarships the year he came out, wasn’t offering him one. He also had mononucleosis during the recruiting process, which set back his development a bit.

Watt has grown taller since that assessment by a couple inches.

He started to grow into his frame late in high school, especially during his senior year after football was over.

In March of 2008, Watt got up to 258 pounds. When he returned from Central Michigan for the six months before he could walk on at Wisconsin, Watt was 265 and needed to improve both strength and size.

Arnett changed Watt’s diet from a college student’s “just stay full” diet to one that would actively help his body. Fruits, vegetables and whole carbohydrates.

Alcohol was a big no-no, as well, but Watt was never a big drinker. He estimates he drinks maybe 10 days a year.

“The nutritious ramifications are so bad, I can’t, I cannot have a drink in the season, that’s crazy to me,” Watt said. “What we do to our bodies, there’s no way you can put alcohol in your system.”

Watt says natural food is the route he chooses to go. J.J. once joked with a Wisconsin alumnus that he got so big because of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. That man lives in New York and texted Watt after the Monday Night Football game to say, “Man, those peanut butter and jellies really got you a long way.”

“I take one protein supplement and that’s it,” Watt said. “I believe in real food, I believe in working hard and putting chicken breasts and eggs in your body. That’s what I do. I don’t even buy into supplements really.”

Great stuff. Thanks for posting it here.
You'll find that most Patsfans respect and admire quality competitors, especially high character guys. Consider yourselves blessed by having Watt, well at least until the Pats sign him away in FA. I kid, I kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back