PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I've got a good feeling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fair catch fryar

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been discussed here, but I didn't see it posted since it was written by Mike Reiss. It's a good piece on Victor Hobson. Due to the state of the LB corps prior to the draft, I liked this signing when it happened and I am more inclined to think this guy will step up as an inside LB and give some good depth to this position. It has him listed as 6'0 252lbs with the athleticism of already playing OLB for the Jets. While I don't expect Pro Bowl numbers, I think Hobson could turn out to be a nice surprise alongside the rookie LBers BB brought in.

Thoughts?

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/05/08/ex_jet_set_to_show_his_worth/

I am cautiously optimistic about Hobson. He didn't do much for the Jets, but there seemed to be a consensus that they used him wrong. I hope Hobson is the next Mike Vrabel - nobody thinks he's much, but with a little maturity and the right coaching, he'll thrive. I am just glad BB is doing something about the linebackers. I love Tedy, but there were too many shots of him last year chasing the guys he usd to be able to tackle.

I am cautiously optimistic about Hobson. He didn't do much for the Jets, but there seemed to be a consensus that they used him wrong. I hope Hobson is the next Mike Vrabel - nobody thinks he's much, but with a little maturity and the right coaching, he'll thrive. I am just glad BB is doing something about the linebackers. I love Tedy, but there were too many shots of him last year chasing the guys he usd to be able to tackle.

This is why I like the signing. While he was in NY, he wasn't used properly, bad-coaching:rolleyes:, he's 28, and he signed a very nice one year deal, that can only work out favorably for both sides. I'm not jumping on the idea that he will become a stud ILB, but I with the coaching and veteran leadership, not to mention the rise in talent, Hobson could be a good fit for the "system."

I agree with you he could turn out to be a very good LB for the patriots

Well, Roman Phifer worked out very well for us, and even though Phifer had a stellar career before coming here, no one expected much of the signing as he was supposedly in the twilight of his career.

You never know with the Hobson signing. If he turns out to be great, we may be looking at a 3 or 4 year run with these guys as our starting LBs: Adalius, Mayo, Hobson, Vrabel.

I am high on Hobson. I think he has the tools to be an excellent ILB in the Pats' system. I thought he was totally miscast as an OLB in the Jets' system. I think he is built more for the inside and has a lot of the skills that Belichick looks for in a LB. I think he could be one of the big surprise free agent pick ups of the season.

I'm hoping he takes over starting duty at SILB. He has the size for it, and a strength of his is reportedly run stuffing, so he could be a great fit for taking on guards at that position. Plug in Mayo at WILB, who has the speed to make plays, and you have a revamped, younger, faster and stronger SILB-WILB combination. That's my hope, it might be wishful thinking, but at the very least, both Mayo and Hobson should contribute to the rotation at ILB.

Last edited:
I'm hoping Hobson can replace Teddy Johnson(I know he's been gona a while). We haven't had anyone like him since he retired. He was always the run stuffer up the middle, and we've seen that Bruschi cannot take those hits or make the tackles when he trys to be the run stuffer. Vrabel, Seau, and even Thomas never seemed to be the hard nose run stuffer that Johnson was. Bruschi is at his best when he's away from the line reading the play.

The trouble with the Hobson signing is that it was for one

year. If he has a good season, he will probably be looking

for a lucrative contract elsewhere.

The trouble with the Hobson signing is that it was for one

year. If he has a good season, he will probably be looking

for a lucrative contract elsewhere.

I hope your right. That would mean that he fits well into the system and gives some of the younger LBers a year in the system and the coaches a year to evaluate them. Also, it would probably mean that Bruschi and Seau are retiring and BB would be more inclined to sign him because he knows how tough it is to fill this position and Hobson would only be 29.

You guys make me want the season to start tomorrow!
How many more weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back